Is it possible for Congress or the President to create jobs?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gekaap, Feb 14, 2011.

1. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Both sides of the aisle have said they want to see job creation as a priority. But how much can they do at this point? Corporate profits have been on the up and up, yet job creation does not seem to be a priority for employers. And it makes sense to me. The last thing companies want to do is spend money. If they've managed to muddle by with a smaller workforce, what reason is there for them to now expand their workforce if they can keep it up? It seems to me that the current state of the economy is not a political issue. It's a social issue.

In an effort to maximize profits, any business will endeavor to maximize efficiency so that money is not wasted in operational costs, including labor costs. Businesses that find and successfully employ the good methods to maximize cost efficiency are rewarded with higher profit margins, as we all already know. But what happens to an economy and society if the means of production become too efficient? What if all the needs and demands of a society can be provided by employing only 80% of the population?

I am beginning to think that the current economic situation has more to do with this kind of phenomena than it does with anything else. How, then, should our society respond in order to maintain a stable economy that provides better for all people?

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    It is more efficient to have things manufactured in low labor cost and regulation countries.
    An inescapable side effect of globalization and free trade.
    We must learn to live with less.
    I do not expect our job creation to keep up with new job demands for at least the next decade.

And yes the govt can create jobs, ie govt jobs or govt supplier jobs by spending more money. All Reagan increased the govt payrolls, so did Bush and I think Clinton did as well.
    So yes the govt can create jobs, however it is unsustainable in the long run.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  3. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Outsourcing is not even necessary in order to slim down labor needs. Labor is increasingly mechanized, expected work share per person has been increasing as people fight to have an edge by taking work home, working longer hours, and/or simplifying operations. Even when you go to the grocery store, they have slimmed down on their labor costs by utilizing mechanical self check-outs that let a single employee suffice for what would have previously taken four people (just as an example).

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    The reason I will not use the automated checkouts.

5. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    NO.
    Nobody wants to hire murkins.

6. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    ^^Wha?

7. Vanquish

Vanquish Vanquisher of shills

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
  8. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,209
    Government cannot produce jobs because it doesn't produce anything. Jobs are created only when economic value is created. Any job "created" by government is a job that by definition doesn't produce anything, and it's taken from companies who do. So every job created is at the cost of greater then a job destroyed.

What government can do is reduce it's destruction of jobs. But that can only be done by minimizing itself. Which politicians are not going to do.

9. Vanquish

Vanquish Vanquisher of shills

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Like I showed in the article I posted.

10. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,323
    You can't make steel at home. Nor refrigerators, washing machines, copiers, computer chips, bridges and highways, window glass, oil products or building materials.

We gave up making stuff to 'work at home'. Grand idea, if everything we ever needed was made at home.

We need fair trade not free trade and then stand back and watch our factories hum.