House passes concealed carry bill, tosses state rights and const. out window.

No I don't necessarily need a license to carry a firearm.

With the passage of HB 823 Texas law lets drivers carry a weapon in their car when they're "traveling,".

The Texas Legislature passed HB 823 creating a "presumption" that the driver is "traveling" unless one of five things is true: (a) the weapon is in plain view, (b) the defendant is a convicted felon, (c) it's a public, not a personal vehicle, (d) the defendant committed a Class B misdemeanor or worse, or (e) the defendant is a gang-banger.

The law seemed pretty straight forward. If the gun is legal, you're not a crook, you're driving your own car, and if the gun is stowed (i.e., you're not driving around with it laying on the passenger seat like an idiot), then you can carry a gun in your car when you're driving.

Civilian Carry of Firearms in Texas

To carry conceal in most states yes you do. which is the topic of this discussion.

To open carry some states allow that without a permit.

The law seemed pretty straight forward. If the gun is legal, you're not a crook, you're driving your own car, and if the gun is stowed (i.e., you're not driving around with it laying on the passenger seat like an idiot), then you can carry a gun in your car when you're driving.

You're talking about a totally different subject open carry is not the same as CCW. I can open carry in any place I choose to as long as it's not posted by the owner no guns allowed.

Pay attention.

He said I needed a permit to carry a firearm PERIOD.

I proved him wrong.

To carry conceal in most states yes you do. which is the topic of this discussion.

To open carry some states allow that without a permit.

You're talking about a totally different subject open carry is not the same as CCW. I can open carry in any place I choose to as long as it's not posted by the owner no guns allowed.

Pay attention.

I proved him wrong.
I'm confused. one time your talking about open carry and then were talking about CCW.

Pay attention.

I proved him wrong.
I'm confused. one time your talking about open carry and then were talking about CCW.

I was responding to the comment made from the other guy regarding the carrying of firearms. He made no distinction between open or concealed carry. He simply stated that I could not legally carry a firearm in the state of Texas without a permit. I corrected him.

What's hypocritical about it? Marriage is a union between one man and one woman, does your "so-called" marriage meet that definition?

No, marriage isn't. I'm clearly legally married. My marriage license should be as valid in all 50 states as yours is and not just in the half dozen it currently is.

You want your CCP to be valid in all states despite the laws passed in those states, but not my marriage license. That's hypocrisy.

If you are married to a person of the opposite sex then your marriage would be recognized in all the states. But it's obvious you are not legally married under the definition provided in DOMA, therefore it should not be recognized in all 50 states and rightly so.

No, the CCP laws will only be reciprocal with states that also have CCP laws.

If I had my way a person could carry their sidearm, concealed or not, in any state they pleased.

Where is that man/woman definition in the constitution?

No, marriage isn't. I'm clearly legally married. My marriage license should be as valid in all 50 states as yours is and not just in the half dozen it currently is.

You want your CCP to be valid in all states despite the laws passed in those states, but not my marriage license. That's hypocrisy.

If you are married to a person of the opposite sex then your marriage would be recognized in all the states. But it's obvious you are not legally married under the definition provided in DOMA, therefore it should not be recognized in all 50 states and rightly so.

If I had my way a person could carry their sidearm, concealed or not, in any state they pleased.

It isn't. The powers not delegated in the Constitution are regulated to the states etc.....Tenth Amendment.... you oughta read it.

However it is defined by DOMA which passed both Houses by large majorities and signed into law by Clinton.
Section 3. Definition of marriage
In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word 'marriage' means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word 'spouse' refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife.

i believe that states like massachusetts have writen in to their same sex marriage laws that this marriage is recognized in massachusetts only and not in any state that does not recognize same sex marriage, along with not being recognized as a marriage with the federal gvt?? I'm pretty sure this is how this is set up?

When you get an amendment that protects gay marriage you will have something until then it's a state issue.

i believe that states like massachusetts have writen in to their same sex marriage laws that this marriage is recognized in massachusetts only and not in any state that does not recognize same sex marriage, along with not being recognized as a marriage with the federal gvt?? I'm pretty sure this is how this is set up?

MGL c.207. Marriage. The same laws and procedures that govern traditional marriage also apply to same-sex marriages. There are no special procedures for a same-sex marriage.

General Laws: CHAPTER 207

Its set up exactly the same as a traditional marriage here.

MGL c.207. Marriage. The same laws and procedures that govern traditional marriage also apply to same-sex marriages. There are no special procedures for a same-sex marriage.

Can people come in from other states, to massachusetts and get married or do they have to be a citizen of the state? Are they like vegas? can anyone get married in massachusetts by the State, with no waiting period or residency like Vegas? It's my understanding that Massachusetts law does NOT permit this....you must be a resident of Massachusetts...not Rhode Island or connecticut etc....and yes, Massachusetts is suing the federal gvt I believe, stating the defense of marriage act is unconstitutional....Connecticut, new hampshire, new york and all states do NOT have to recognize massachusetts same sex marriage because federal law, makes it illegal, is my understanding???

No other state is forced to accept another state's same sex marriage....at least not until this is settled in the courts.

Can people come in from other states, to massachusetts and get married or do they have to be a citizen of the state? Are they like vegas? can anyone get married in massachusetts by the State, with no waiting period or residency like Vegas? It's my understanding that Massachusetts law does NOT permit this....you must be a resident of Massachusetts...not Rhode Island or connecticut etc....and yes, Massachusetts is suing the federal gvt I believe, stating the defense of marriage act is unconstitutional....Connecticut, new hampshire, new york and all states do NOT have to recognize massachusetts same sex marriage because federal law, makes it illegal, is my understanding???

No other state is forced to accept another state's same sex marriage....at least not until this is settled in the courts.

In 2008 devaul passed a law allowing out of staters to marry here

We did have a law, from 1913, that would have forbade it.

Who can marry in Massachusetts? - Can I Marry My Partner in Massachusetts?

Forum List

Back