House passes concealed carry bill, tosses state rights and const. out window.

Inthemiddle

Rookie
Oct 4, 2011
House votes to expand concealed gun law – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Now that I have your attention, I'm not 100% sure it would be unconstitutional, but my first impression is that this would violate the state's rights to regulate licensing on its own. At the very least, it certainly is ideologically opposed to respecting state rights. I'm very perplexed by this. I support individual rights to carry a gun. But I think that it's over stepping for the federal government onto the states.

It doesn't prohibit states from regulating licensing... though it could be argued that the Second amendment does that.

What it does it keep people from getting arrested if they are traveling in other states. It's completely ridiculous that if you want to defend yourself while traveling you need to read up on each states laws.

I had a client once, his only crime was that he was licensed in the wrong state. You seriously think we should be arresting people for exercising their second amendment right because the license isn't accepted across state lines?

Did you read it? It only allows you to carry concealed across State lines IF the States involved already have concealed carry laws. The law does not effect State law at all, it simply affirms that under Federal law a concealed carry permit from one State is good in another so long as both States have such laws.

• Banned
What it does it keep people from getting arrested if they are traveling in other states. It's completely ridiculous that if you want to defend yourself while traveling you need to read up on each states laws.

When I first moved to Texas many years ago, I got pulled over for having a license plate frame on the back of my car. It was perfectly legal where I'd come from, but Texas has laws restricting them. There are many people who might pass through a portion of Texas for a day. All they want to do is go visit a friend, maybe they just want to go out to dinner. But the fact of the matter is that each state is entitled to have its own laws.

I had a client once, his only crime was that he was licensed in the wrong state. You seriously think we should be arresting people for exercising their second amendment right because the license isn't accepted across state lines?

I think it should be for each state to decide how it wants to handle those cases. If my state legislature were considering a bill on whether to accept out-of-state CCW permits, would I support it? Probably. I just don't think the federal government has any place inserting itself into this. It should be up to the states.

It doesn't prohibit states from regulating licensing... though it could be argued that the Second amendment does that.

each State HAS THE RIGHT to govern themselves, no? We are a constitutional Republic no?

I disagree with the Law, and I strongly support Gun rights....but the person carrying his gun over state lines SHOULD ALWAYS read up on the other state's gun laws and NOT be a Lazy rearend, on something soooo important and potentially dangerous or life saving!

• Banned
each State HAS THE RIGHT to govern themselves, no? We are a constitutional Republic no?

I disagree with the Law, and I strongly support Gun rights....but the person carrying his gun over state lines SHOULD ALWAYS read up on the other state's gun laws and NOT be a Lazy rearend, on something soooo important and potentially dangerous or life saving!

You know, I think that's a good point. Carrying a concealed weapon involves a big responsibility. I don't see anything unreasonable to expect that such responsible persons be expected to educate themselves on the matter before they travel across state lines with their weapon.

Good point. A gun toter on a multi-state tour who does not know the various states' gun laws is very lazy indeed.

I expect that the bill would not be ruled unconstitutional if tested by the courts. It would have to be signed into law first, of course, and I have no idea if that would happen. Obama has increased gun rights, but I believe only when the new clause is added to a bill he otherwise supports.

I think this underscores the fact that no one really cares that much about states rights. People ask for states rights when they expect that the states will enact policies they prefer to federal ones, and they oppose them when the reverse is true. Republicans basically like gun rights, so they want them to carry from state to state. Democrats basically like gay rights, so they want them to carry from state to state. Neither side has a constituency that cares that much about states rights in the abstract.

• Banned
republicans basically like gun rights, so they want them to carry from state to state. Democrats basically like gay rights, so they want them to carry from state to state. Neither side has a constituency that cares that much about states rights in the abstract.

qfmft!

When I first moved to Texas many years ago, I got pulled over for having a license plate frame on the back of my car. It was perfectly legal where I'd come from, but Texas has laws restricting them. There are many people who might pass through a portion of Texas for a day. All they want to do is go visit a friend, maybe they just want to go out to dinner. But the fact of the matter is that each state is entitled to have its own laws.
You got popped because you moved to Texas. If you were just passing through the Cop couldn't have written you up amirite?

I drive through Maryland ocaissionally and have never been stopped for having only one license plate which is allowable under Pennsylvania Law. And I shouldn't be.

This Bill seeks to fix that same problem as it allies to CCW permits.

By the way, we ARE talking about Concealed Carry not Open Carry. The Constitution allows Open Carry, Concealed Carry is what you need the permit for.

I expect that the bill would not be ruled unconstitutional if tested by the courts. It would have to be signed into law first, of course, and I have no idea if that would happen. Obama has increased gun rights, but I believe only when the new clause is added to a bill he otherwise supports.

I think this underscores the fact that no one really cares that much about states rights. People ask for states rights when they expect that the states will enact policies they prefer to federal ones, and they oppose them when the reverse is true. Republicans basically like gun rights, so they want them to carry from state to state. Democrats basically like gay rights, so they want them to carry from state to state. Neither side has a constituency that cares that much about states rights in the abstract.

This is what it all comes down to.... period end of story.

You got popped because you moved to Texas. If you were just passing through the Cop couldn't have written you up amirite?

The cop had no way to know if I was a new resident or a passer through. And in truth it doesn't matter. That was the law of the state, and he snagged me for it.

A hunting friend of mind does a lot of traveling from coast to coast, and gun laws are tricky and vary from state to state - even those with concealed carry and reciprocity.

House votes to expand concealed gun law – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Now that I have your attention, I'm not 100% sure it would be unconstitutional, but my first impression is that this would violate the state's rights to regulate licensing on its own. At the very least, it certainly is ideologically opposed to respecting state rights. I'm very perplexed by this. I support individual rights to carry a gun. But I think that it's over stepping for the federal government onto the states.

Will this create more jobs? Well, at least they pulled their heads out of vaginas long enough to do something else. I'm sure women appreciate a break...

Actually the Constitution very plainly states that the citizens of every State should have the same rights as each other. If a State has a concealed carry law then the Federal Government has every authority to create a FEDERAL law that requires those States to honor each others same laws.

Well, number one, it'll probably never get past the senate and number two, even if by some extraordinary happening it does Obama will veto it so I don't know what all the hoopla is about. Oh wait, yes I do, political posturing. Never mind.......... :lol:

One more reason the Boehner House will go down as the most do-nothing and divisive Congress in the history of the United States. As pointed out above, where IS the jobs bill?

Constitutionally guaranteed rights should be given precedence over the state's desire to deny those rights to citizens.

Actually the Constitution very plainly states that the citizens of every State should have the same rights as each other. If a State has a concealed carry law then the Federal Government has every authority to create a FEDERAL law that requires those States to honor each others same laws.

And if a state has access to abortion without having to watch an ultrasound or seeing a photo of a fetus, then the Federal Government has every authority to create a FEDERAL law that requires those States to honor each others same laws

Forum List

Back