House GOP Says It's Too Late To Pass An Unemployment Extension

Yup I'm stubborn - guilty as charged.

I'm not sure "we can't get your name in the computer in just two months" is gonna be a good enough substitute for a real conversation over the issue for a whole lot of people.

Wouldn't be for me - but to each his or her own.

Fair enough.

But does this put an end to your constant assertion he is not having the debate?

No - it underscores it imho.

"We can't get your name in the computer system in two months" is not a debate - I see it as a pretty lame cop out.

So, it's your interpretation of the conclusion by The National Association of State Workforce Agencies is a Boehner cop out. Your deck is stacked, not much more to be said.

Why do we need to extend it beyond 2 years?

Good question - too bad the House won't be holding a conversation on that

Well the gop did. The lost jobs aren't coming back, and the workers who haven't shifted to new sectors will have to settle for min wage or thereabouts. There are jobs, just not jobs as good as guys working in mortgage markets and financials had. Sucks for them.

Why do we need to extend it beyond 2 years?

Well the gop did. The lost jobs aren't coming back, and the workers who haven't shifted to new sectors will have to settle for min wage or thereabouts. There are jobs, just not jobs as good as guys working in mortgage markets and financials had. Sucks for them.

OK, is there a role for the government in re-training?

In theory, sure. But, wasn't there retraining in the two years of UI? I thought so. What seems to have occurred is that when financials are hiring, they don't want the folks back whom they laid off.

It's part of the labor force participation. It's not partisan simply to acknowledge we don't need as many workers, and employers would prefer happy shiny faces.

In theory, sure. But, wasn't there retraining in the two years of UI? I thought so. What seems to have occurred is that when financials are hiring, they don't want the folks back whom they laid off.

It's part of the labor force participation. It's not partisan simply to acknowledge we don't need as many workers, and employers would prefer happy shiny faces.

OK, I still think it's worth a discussion. A discussion that's a little more in depth than "we can't get your name into our computer in two months"
what a cop out croc

OK, I still think it's worth a discussion. A discussion that's a little more in depth than "we can't get your name into our computer in two months"
what a cop out croc

the comments Boehner made that seemed true, to me, were more about "we had this discussion 3 mos ago." UI is to pay to bridge the time between layoff to where the economy picks up again. We've passed that. If we extended retroactively, some of these folks would get paid even when they took jobs between then and now, and we'd discourage those who hadn't taking jobs because they figured UI would be exteneded and pay more than the jobs the folks can get, from taking the lousy jobs which is their ultimate destination.

I don't know. I know people who were doing the paperwork for bogus mortgages only did what their bosses told them to do, and it wasn't illegal, but nobody wants their fingerprints on new mortgages. Can they get a cpa? Maybe a bookkeeper. I doubt a bank hires them for a loan officer or new accounts rep. Teller? Maybe. More likely ... bartender.

this new class of bums, the long termed unemployed for two frikken years now...Can go stand in line to get on welfare and live off taxpayers that way...

now get going, the majority of us are sick of your whining already

Corporate America is sitting on $100+Trillion in cash and we have long-term unemployment. If you can't see a problem with that you must be one of the 'I've got mine so fuck everyone else sociopaths.'

Liberals never have enough sucking off the taxpayers...they can't find a job after their unemployment runs out, just stomp your feet and wail oh poor poor pitiful me and demand taxpayers pay for you...and then post threads like this on how it's those damn Republicans fault for it all...

even though we've been under the Obama regime for six PAINFUL years...Hey, how's that ObamaNation working you?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back