House GOP’s Ryan to unveil new budget

Sure, because advances in technology are paid for with magic beans. Brilliant idea you have there.
since when did hospitals build their own medical equipment? kaiser is non profit but that doesn't mean GE is non profit, or amgen is non profit, or Pfizer or AstraZeneca is non profit.

nice fail... try again....

You made the case for forcing non profit status on the ENTIRE industry. Now it's only hospitals. Disingenuous much? Either way, you have no legal basis for forcing any part of any industry into any status.
show me where i posted the entire industry. i related this to health care providers. i.e. those who give actual health care services at hospitals and facilities.

nowhere did i mention equipment makers, or drug manufacturers. what are you gonna claim next that textile manufacturers will have to become non profit since they make scrubs and doctors coats?

:cuckoo:

show me where i posted the entire industry.

When you stated "who said investors need to be involved in health care in the first place?"

Health care is more than just hospitals.

BTW, have you lost the Shift key on your computer?

since when did hospitals build their own medical equipment? kaiser is non profit but that doesn't mean GE is non profit, or amgen is non profit, or Pfizer or AstraZeneca is non profit.

nice fail... try again....

You made the case for forcing non profit status on the ENTIRE industry. Now it's only hospitals. Disingenuous much? Either way, you have no legal basis for forcing any part of any industry into any status.
show me where i posted the entire industry. i related this to health care providers. i.e. those who give actual health care services at hospitals and facilities.

nowhere did i mention equipment makers, or drug manufacturers. what are you gonna claim next that textile manufacturers will have to become non profit since they make scrubs and doctors coats?

:cuckoo:

For that matter, our military is also non-profit, but plenty of for-profit entities supply it.

It's not about "government spending". It's about moving the wealth of the country to the top 1%, something Republicans work desperately for and Democrats work against.

thanks for yet another post that has zero to do with the thread topic.

actually it was a response to your comment. you can disagree with him or not, but it was a fair response given your "observation".

hardly. It's hyper partisan nonsense (not overly surprising you support his statement).

The GOP Budget and America's Future

Absent reform, government programs designed in the middle of the 20th century cannot fulfill their promises in the 21st century. It is a mathematical and demographic impossibility. And we said so.

We assumed there would be some who would distort for political gain our efforts to preserve programs like Medicare. Having been featured in an attack ad literally throwing an elderly woman off a cliff, I can confirm that those assumptions were on the mark.

But one year later, we can say with some confidence that the attacks have failed. Courageous Democrats have joined our efforts. And bipartisan opposition to the path of broken promises is growing.

Like last year, our budget delivers real spending discipline. It does this not through indiscriminate cuts that endanger our military, but by ending the epidemic of crony politics and government overreach that has weakened confidence in the nation's institutions and its economy. And it strengthens the safety net by returning power to the states, which are in the best position to tailor assistance to their specific populations.

On the critical issues of health security and tax reform, our budget draws a clear distinction between serious reformers and those who stand in the way of the growing bipartisan consensus for principled solutions.

Our budget's Medicare reforms make no changes for those in or near retirement. For those who will retire a decade from now, our plan provides guaranteed coverage options financed by a premium-support payment. And this year, our budget adds even more choices for seniors, including a traditional fee-for-service Medicare option.

We also introduce a competitive-bidding process to determine the growth of government's financial contribution to Medicare. Forcing health plans to compete against each other is the best way to achieve high-quality coverage at the lowest cost, and implementing these reforms in Medicare can have the effect of lowering health-care costs for everyone. This is the key to increasing access and affordability while preventing government debt from threatening the health security of seniors and the economic security of all Americans.

We propose to reduce the corporate tax rate of 35%, which will soon be the highest rate in the developed world, to a much more competitive 25%. Our budget also shifts to a "territorial" tax system to end the practice of hitting businesses with extra taxes when they invest profits earned abroad in jobs and factories here at home
we close special-interest loopholes
Our budget returns power to individuals, families and communities. It draws inspiration from the Founders' belief that all people are born with an unalienable right to the pursuit of happiness. Protecting this right means trusting citizens, not nameless government officials, to decide what is in their best interests and make the right choice about our nation's future.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

House GOP’s Ryan to unveil new budget - The Washington Post

Congress is preparing to renew its bitter fight over government spending, as both parties eagerly await the arrival Tuesday of a new budget plan authored by Republican Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.).

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee immediately responded with a series of statements charging that Ryan will lean on seniors to reduce the debt without addressing tax rates for the wealthy.
magically, Democrats know what is in the proposal, even before it is made. How... precognitive of them.

Of course it is. The real 'Party of no' couldn't possibly even seriously consider a proposal by a mere Republican. Not in an election year.

Republican leaders believe it is critical to unify the often fractious House GOP around such a document, in part to contrast the Republican-led House with the Democratic-led Senate, which has failed to pass a budget, as required by law, in nearly three years.
Odd how I have yet to see a democratic leaning poster in here condemn the Democrat-led Senate for not following the law for 3 years.

Ryan also must decide whether to replicate the Medicare reform package he included in last year’s budget, which would provide seniors payments to purchase private insurance.

He could instead include the revamped version that he unveiled late last year with Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). It would preserve a government-run Medicare option alongside new private plans.
Well, at least 1 Democrat understands the meaning on bipartisan.

" Are they smart enough to get the poor to pay the rich to keep the poor flat on their asses".

Indeed, the Repugs are smart enough.

Any word on when the Senate unveil a budget?

The Senate doesn't have the authority to do so.

"All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills."

It's also really funny to blame Democrats for the Senate not passing a budget, since it's due to a combination of Republican filibusters and the House's refusal to move on a budget.

Any word on when the Senate unveil a budget?

The Senate doesn't have the authority to do so.

"All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills."

It has already been pointed out repeatedly in this thread that both the Senate and House can and do prepare budget bills. Search the thread for the link to the whole process.

A budget bill is not an appropriations bill, and it is the appropriations bills that MUST originate in the House.

It's also really funny to blame Democrats for the Senate not passing a budget, since it's due to a combination of Republican filibusters and the House's refusal to move on a budget.

How stupid do you want to look? they didnt pass one when they had the majority.

Any cut is extreme, blows your premise out of the water.

stupid enough to think a budget bill is an appropriations bill, apparently.

Destroying it is not fixing it.

But let's wait to see what the details will be and how the average working class American reacts.

Especially if it will form the GOP platform.

What's rather pathetic is that whenever someone DOES have the character to try and reform Medicare so it can remain solvent, they are immediately attacked by people like yourself who accuse them of trying to "destroy" Medicare.

You know what WILL destroy Medicare? Not doing anything.

And do you know what will save it? Raise payroll taxes, limit participation based on income and seriously go after fraud.

It's not rocket science, you know. And putting seniors health in the hands of money grubbing, for profit insurance companies will do more harm than good. They will only raise premiums and deny coverage to the worst off and once again senior health care will be only something for the well off.

Raise payroll taxes? Are you serious? You obviously have no clue about what Medicare costs are projected to be when the Baby Boomers retire. You'd have to triple what people are paying now to even put a dent in that cost. And in case you haven't noticed...the GOP was the party that tried to get payroll taxes going again so we wouldn't defund Social Security...but they got shouted down by the Democrats who accused them of not wanting to give a tax break to working Americans.

They didn't pass one because the Republicans filibustered it. Makes me think of the old adage "Chutzpah is killing your parents, then throwing yourself on the mercy of the court because you're an orphan"

They didn't pass one because the Republicans filibustered it.

I would agree with you...but you're wrong. They had a filibuster-proof majority but still didn't pass a budget as is required by law.

House GOP’s Ryan to unveil new budget - The Washington Post

Congress is preparing to renew its bitter fight over government spending, as both parties eagerly await the arrival Tuesday of a new budget plan authored by Republican Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.).

magically, Democrats know what is in the proposal, even before it is made. How... precognitive of them.

Of course it is. The real 'Party of no' couldn't possibly even seriously consider a proposal by a mere Republican. Not in an election year.

Odd how I have yet to see a democratic leaning poster in here condemn the Democrat-led Senate for not following the law for 3 years.

Ryan also must decide whether to replicate the Medicare reform package he included in last year’s budget, which would provide seniors payments to purchase private insurance.

He could instead include the revamped version that he unveiled late last year with Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). It would preserve a government-run Medicare option alongside new private plans.
Well, at least 1 Democrat understands the meaning on bipartisan.

Republicans haven't made it an issue because their number one goal is to drive the first African American president out of office. Even before he was sworn in, their number one goal was to make him fail. The fact this comes from a party that's 90% white explains it all.

Ah, yes...another day...and another "all Republicans are racists" post by the board's resident idiot. I could care less about Barry's pigmentation, Deanie...it's his policies that I dislike. I don't think he's had a clue what he's been doing with the economy for the past 3 years and I can't understand why anyone would want to give him another 4 years. That isn't "racist"...that's me saying he's unqualified for the job he holds.

They didn't pass one because the Republicans filibustered it.

I would agree with you...but you're wrong. They had a filibuster-proof majority but still didn't pass a budget as is required by law.
that filibuster proof super majority lasted 134 days on paper, but 49 days in reality.

The Democrats’ 134-Day Supermajority | PoliPundit.com

oh and all spending starts in the House where there is no such thing as a super-majority.

Last edited:

They didn't pass one because the Republicans filibustered it. Makes me think of the old adage "Chutzpah is killing your parents, then throwing yourself on the mercy of the court because you're an orphan"

have you figured out yet that a budget bill is not an appropriation bill, and that both the senate and house can introduce a budget bill?

LOL Sure buddy, they didnt even attempt one.

On the other side of the hill Pelosi announced the end to deficit spending and strong enforcement of paygo.

But a little provision in Paygo allows emergency spending and all spending was then declared an emergency.

Get your facts straight, you are embarrassing.

Do I need to hold your hand on how the Senate reacted to these new developments? I can!!!

Forum List

Back