Hot Button Buddhist Issues

The term "extremist" is accurate when someone has extreme views. Extremism is not valued in Buddhism.

We practice the "middle way".

What it sounds like you are doing is overlaying a Judeo Christian judgment into Buddhism. Seeing that if there is "Right Speech" there must be "Wrong Speech".

There are many different teachings about how to speak skillfully. What you're trying to do is kind of scold Buddhists if they don't hold to your idea of what Right Speech is.

That would be as bad as me telling you how you should be acting if you are a "good Christian".

So who in Buddhism gets to decide what is or is not extreme? You keep using the word "extreme" as if it's axiomatic, but refuse to address the fact that "extreme" is merely a subjective adjective. You also tried to define the word "extreme" by using the word "extreme" in the definition, which makes no sense.

And of course there's "Wrong Speech."

"Sometimes we speak clumsily and create internal knots in others. Then we say, 'I was just telling the truth.' It may be the truth, but if our way of speaking causes unnecessary suffering, it is not Right Speech." - Thich Nhat Hanh

If something isn't "Right Speech," then it must, by definition, be "Wrong Speech." That quote can also tie into the things you said about Bryan Fischer and the others in one of your previous posts. You were "just telling the truth," as you saw it, about them, but you called them names.

Thich Nhat Hanh describes one aspect of "Right Speech" as "Not speaking cruelly. We don't shout, slander, curse, encourage suffering, or create hatred." Calling someone an "extremist" is a way of slandering them, and creating hatred.

I'm not scolding Buddhists in any way shape or form, I'm scolding you for calling names and not adhering to a Buddhist principle. As for telling me how to act like a "good Christian," feel free. I'm not a "good" Christian, or a Christian of any sort so it makes no difference to me.

Well, I don't need your scolding. I'm a grown up.

Tim McVeigh was an extremist. Fred Phelps is an extremist. Osama Bin Laden was an extremist. Bryan Fischer is an extremist.

It is not slander to tell the truth. It is not creating hatred to tell the truth. It is not creating suffering to oppose extremism.

It is quite the opposite and fully in accord with Buddhist principles to oppose extremism non-violently.

So, in other words, you weren't really interested in any kind of discussion whatsoever.

So who in Buddhism gets to decide what is or is not extreme? You keep using the word "extreme" as if it's axiomatic, but refuse to address the fact that "extreme" is merely a subjective adjective. You also tried to define the word "extreme" by using the word "extreme" in the definition, which makes no sense.

And of course there's "Wrong Speech."

"Sometimes we speak clumsily and create internal knots in others. Then we say, 'I was just telling the truth.' It may be the truth, but if our way of speaking causes unnecessary suffering, it is not Right Speech." - Thich Nhat Hanh

If something isn't "Right Speech," then it must, by definition, be "Wrong Speech." That quote can also tie into the things you said about Bryan Fischer and the others in one of your previous posts. You were "just telling the truth," as you saw it, about them, but you called them names.

Thich Nhat Hanh describes one aspect of "Right Speech" as "Not speaking cruelly. We don't shout, slander, curse, encourage suffering, or create hatred." Calling someone an "extremist" is a way of slandering them, and creating hatred.

I'm not scolding Buddhists in any way shape or form, I'm scolding you for calling names and not adhering to a Buddhist principle. As for telling me how to act like a "good Christian," feel free. I'm not a "good" Christian, or a Christian of any sort so it makes no difference to me.

Tim McVeigh was an extremist. Fred Phelps is an extremist. Osama Bin Laden was an extremist. Bryan Fischer is an extremist.

It is not slander to tell the truth. It is not creating hatred to tell the truth. It is not creating suffering to oppose extremism.

It is quite the opposite and fully in accord with Buddhist principles to oppose extremism non-violently.

So, in other words, you weren't really interested in any kind of discussion whatsoever.

Can you discuss a topic without "scolding" the person you're talking to?

Can you discuss a topic other than yourself?

Sex

Abortion

Sexism

Environment

Economic policies

Separation of church and state

Controversial Issues and Buddhism - A Buddhist View of Today's Hot Topics

Pick one and let's debate.

I would love to, but you prefer to argue.

No, I'd rather debate but I'm not very good at it.

One thing, don't call someone an extremist just because his views are exactly the opposite of yours, by doing so you are labeling yourself as an extremist. I think a good debater should be able to argue both sides of the argument. Why don't you pick a topic and argue my side and let me argue yours?

Last edited:
I would love to, but you prefer to argue.

One thing, don't cal someone an extremist just because his views are exactly the opposite of yours, by doing so you are labeling yourself as an extremist. I think a good debater should be able to argue both sides of the argument. Why don't you pick a topic and argue my side and let me argue yours?

Do you object to me calling Bryan Fischer an extremist? What about Tim McVeigh or Fred Phelps?

Is kerosene or gasoline ever an issue with Buddhists?

What do you mean? Environmentally?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wN0ayZZVHc]Monk on Fire (Tibetan Monk Self-Immolates in Protest) - YouTube[/ame]

Do you have some question about this monk?

I started a thread one time about Self-Immolation and it wasn't well recieved.

Thich Quan Duc is considered a Vietnamese bodhisattva. His heart did not burn even after his charred remains were cremated. I think this was in 1963.

HH the Dalai Lama is very concerned about the self-immolation protests going on by Tibetans in former (Chinese occupied) Tibet. He wants to discourage the practice. It is unusual to have the right motivation for such an act, which is otherwise bad karma.

Last edited:

One thing, don't cal someone an extremist just because his views are exactly the opposite of yours, by doing so you are labeling yourself as an extremist. I think a good debater should be able to argue both sides of the argument. Why don't you pick a topic and argue my side and let me argue yours?

Do you object to me calling Bryan Fischer an extremist? What about Tim McVeigh or Fred Phelps?

Extremists are not confined to any 'box of beliefs'.

Can you discuss a topic without insulting the person you're talking to?

Last edited:
Can you discuss a topic without insulting the person you're talking to?

I'm very sorry. How did I insult you?

You implied that I was an "extremist."

'I'm a Marxist' says Dalai Lama, but agrees capitalism has helped China

So much for the "middle way."

What did I actually post that you thought was implying that I think YOU are an extremist?

I don't know your views very well at all. I have no opinion on whether you are an extremist or not.

Some people consider my views extremist.

If you read HH statement, I see that it is the Middle Way. He credits both Marxism and Capitalism as bringing benefit to people.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back