Hostile bloggers facing fines, jail?

You all should join the ACLU and support their fight against this legislation and many others under the FCC's umbrella.

btw, I still fail to see how anyone's first amendment rights are being violated by making it a crime to bully someone on the internet. Since when are you granted the right to bully?

Sorry, not interested in joining the ACLU even if they do some good things. Joining something like that only means giving them money every time they ask and endless phone calls (most of which don't get answered thanks to Caller Id) from them asking for more money.

As for making it a crime to bully someone on the internet, come on. Harassment of anyone is already a crime. Why do we need another non-prosecutable law on the books just to make people happy? That would be like passing a law making it illegal to drive a car while being high on Marijuana. First, being high on Marijuana is already a crime. Second, driving under the influence of any controlled substance is already a crime. Why make it a crime to commit two crimes?

Immie
As I stated up the thread, I think this is a silly law. But I fail to understand the mass hysteria over it...it violates no one's first amendment rights as far as I can tell.

You forgot to add the most important part "... yet."

Sorry, not interested in joining the ACLU even if they do some good things. Joining something like that only means giving them money every time they ask and endless phone calls (most of which don't get answered thanks to Caller Id) from them asking for more money.

As for making it a crime to bully someone on the internet, come on. Harassment of anyone is already a crime. Why do we need another non-prosecutable law on the books just to make people happy? That would be like passing a law making it illegal to drive a car while being high on Marijuana. First, being high on Marijuana is already a crime. Second, driving under the influence of any controlled substance is already a crime. Why make it a crime to commit two crimes?

Immie
As I stated up the thread, I think this is a silly law. But I fail to understand the mass hysteria over it...it violates no one's first amendment rights as far as I can tell.

You forgot to add the most important part "... yet."

And that is the point, today it would not violate first amendment rights, but laws seem to expand out words including more and more in their reach so that eventually this law could be used to prevent someone from typing "fag" or the N-word on the computer.

Immie

:doubt:

Just in case you two are right, you better get busy posting ****** and fag before it is against the law.

I'm not worried about it for those two words as I never use the second one (first one in your post, you switched the order) and almost never use the other. I am, however, opposed to the idea of locking up the idiots that do use them simply because they hurt someone else's feelings?

People get called retards on here all the time. Hurtful? Yes. Something someone should get locked up for? No.

Immie

:doubt:

Just in case you two are right, you better get busy posting ****** and fag before it is against the law.

You really don't see the extremely likely possibilities in this? Imagine where they decide that posting anything bad about the government is considered harassment, and it wouldn't take much to go from there to treason. Give politicians and inch, and they will ALWAYS take a mile ... or more.

Forum List

Back