‘Hope cancer kills you soon’: Tolerant Left reaches out to Julie Boonstra

9A9rSVc.png

What Does The Affordable Care Act Mean For People With Cancer?

Since the ACA was signed into law on March 23, key provisions have gone into effect that are giving seniors, children and the uninsured better access to quality, affordable health care. These provisions, as well as those that will be implemented over the next few years, will meaningfully improve the health care system for people touched by cancer. The new law will ensure that people with cancer will no longer:
• Be denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions;
• Be charged more for their coverage because of health status;
• Be faced with annual or lifetime coverage limits that cause a sudden termination of care; or
• Have to choose between saving their life or their life savings because they lack access to affordable coverage.

People with cancer will be denied treatment with drugs that are deemed too expensive by the ACA bureaucracy. It will also take away the financial rewards to drug companies for developing new cancer drugs.

Give up all hope ye who enter here.

As usual, you are full of shit. Have you EVER in your sad little life questioned your beloved 'private' sector?

WHY should America citizens pay twice as much as the rest of the world for the EXACT same drug? This issue came to the forefront during the Medicare D debate when Bush FORBID the government from negotiating directly with drug companies for lower prices.

Some states set up websites to allow citizens to buy the EXACT same drugs from Canada.

Let the rest of the world help pay for R&D.

By agreeing to pay whatever the pharmaceutical companies charge for drugs, it is allowing them to offer the same drugs to entire countries for a fraction of what we pay. We are subsidizing the rest of the world because nobody wants to stand up to Big Pharma. This would all change if we forced their hand by demanding to pay the same amount for the same drugs as countries such as Canada, the UK, New Zealand, Australian, Japan, and so on. In the end, Big Pharma would be forced to lower our cost and raise the cost for everyone else. They would still make the same amount of money, but Americans would no longer be taking it up the ass.

As usual, you are full of shit. Have you EVER in your sad little life questioned your beloved 'private' sector?

WHY should America citizens pay twice as much as the rest of the world for the EXACT same drug? This issue came to the forefront during the Medicare D debate when Bush FORBID the government from negotiating directly with drug companies for lower prices.

Some states set up websites to allow citizens to buy the EXACT same drugs from Canada.

Let the rest of the world help pay for R&D.
What in your rabid mind makes you think a government who would let four people die then lie about it would be good in running how you get healthcare???? In what fucking way do bureaucrats and politicians says good for your health to you?

What in your rabid mind makes you think the Wall Street controlled wealthcare insurance cartels have any interest in your HEALTH. They are only interested in your MONEY.

WHY has the rest of the industrialized world been able to figure out what right wing turds like you CAN'T?

Hey, we gotta have all these drugs, and we need to pay premium price for them too. Ya know, they work better if you pay more for them. BTW, I avoid prescription medication whenever possible. There are times that people do need these meds, and many of them are helpful, but the fact is that most are way over-prescribed, not to mention the pages long lists of side effects from almost every one of them. Ever listen to a commercial for the latest drug one of these companies is pushing? Some side effects may cause swelling or nausea, or you might just puke your guts out, or you might go blind, or you might get uncontrollable shakes, or your head my burst open, or your dick might fall off, or you might actually die. After hearing a commercial for just about any of these drugs, the last thing I'm going to do is go running to my doctor asking him/her to get me some of them.

Last edited:
Government health care has been run MORE efficiently than private insurance cartels for almost 50 years...it even has a name...

Medicare
And Medicaid, and the VA.

The idea that Medicare or Medicaid has been run efficiently, is so absurd as to be laughable.

Here is a market-driven entrepreneur.

brody_243x200.jpg

Bill Brody, M.D. President, Salk Institute for Biomedical Research

Dr. William R. Brody, an acclaimed physician-scientist, entrepreneur and university leader, joined the Salk Institute for Biological Studies on March 2, 2009 after 12 years as president of The Johns Hopkins University.

johns_hopkins_medicine.jpg

June 13, 2003

Is Medicare Cost Effective?

I recently spent a half-day in a meeting discussing a number of issues regarding Medicare. Most of us on the provider side of the street view Medicare as this multiheaded bureaucracy with more pages of regulations than the Internal Revenue Service's tax code. However, I came away from the meeting with some (to me at least) shocking revelations:

Medicare beneficiaries are overwhelmingly satisfied with their Medicare coverage, except for the absence of prescription drug benefits;

The administrative costs of Medicare are lower than any other large health plan.

In fact, Medicare is very efficient by any objective means:

According to the Urban Institute's Marilyn Moon, who testified before the Senate Committee on Aging, Medicare expenditures between 1970 and 2000 grew more slowly than those of the private sector. Initially, from 1965 through the 1980s, Medicare and private insurance costs doubled in tandem. Then Medicare tightened up, and per capita expenditures grew more slowly than private insurance, creating a significant gap. In the 1990s, private insurers got more serious about controlling their costs, and the gap narrowed. But by 2000, Medicare per capita expenditures remained significantly lower than the private sector.

Moon argues somewhat convincingly that Medicare has been a success. While not necessarily denying that certain reforms might be needed, she stresses the importance of preserving three essential tenets of the program:

1. Its universal coverage nature creates the ability to redistribute benefits to those who are neediest.

2. It pools risk in order to share the burdens of health care among the healthy and the sick.

3. Through Medicare, the government protects the rights of all beneficiaries to essential health care.

It has been argued that, in part, Medicare's cost effectiveness arises from the fact that it does not need to expend funds on marketing and sales-functions that are obligatory for the success of competitive, private-sector health plans. Moreover, some argue that the competitive model for health insurance has not been successful. In a market-driven economy, the healthy can and will change health plans for savings of only a few dollars a month, while the sick must remain in their existing plan in order to retain their physicians. Such behaviors lead to asymmetric risk pools and cost inequities.

This was all sobering news to a market-driven entrepreneur such as yours truly. However, given the perverse incentives that frequently drive behavior in health care, my take-home lesson is that there are examples in the success of Medicare we can apply to other sectors of our population.

Government health care has been run MORE efficiently than private insurance cartels for almost 50 years...it even has a name...

Medicare

Yeah, right. That is, if you don't count all the massive fraud.

You don't believe there is any fraud in the private sector with private insurance companies? :badgrin:

it exists, but it's rare. Private companies don't allow themselves to be defrauded. They go bankrupt if they do.

Yeah, right. That is, if you don't count all the massive fraud.

You don't believe there is any fraud in the private sector with private insurance companies? :badgrin:

it exists, but it's rare. Private companies don't allow themselves to be defrauded. They go bankrupt if they do.

I believe that he was referring to private insurance companies defrauding the public, not the public defrauding them. This can be done in a number of ways. An insurance salesperson can issue policies that the company is either unable or unwilling to honor, or which intentionally mislead the policy holder. In addition, insurance companies can defraud clients by falsifying information related to claims. Rather than fudging findings to produce a larger payout, an adjuster could produce false data that justify a smaller payout.

Last edited:

I believe that he was referring to private insurance companies defrauding the public, not the public defrauding them.

I don't think so. He/she was comparing private companies to Medicare. When has anyone ever accused Medicare of defrauding the public?

The bottom line is that private companies go to great lengths to ensure that they don't get defrauded. They have procedures and policies in place designed to prevent fraud. These are the very policies that the libturds object to. For instance, when a company refuses to pay because it becomes known that the client had a prior condition what wasn't revealed when they purchased the policy.

Last edited:

I believe that he was referring to private insurance companies defrauding the public, not the public defrauding them.

I don't think so. He/she was comparing private companies to Medicare. When has anyone ever accused Medicare of defrauding the public?

The bottom line is that private companies go to great lengths to ensure that they don't get defrauded. They have procedures in policies in place designed to prevent fraud. These are the very policies that the libturds object to. For instance, when a company refuses to pay because it becomes known that the client had a prior condition what wasn't revealed when they purchased the policy.

Well, only he knows for sure what he was saying. Although private companies do go to great lengths to prevent internal fraud, there are unscrupulous people on the inside who go to great lengths to committ fraud. A comparison could be made to the financial industry, where people work with millions of dollars on behalf of clients. Of course the majority of them do not committ fraud, but there is that percentage that does. Personally, I don't think that being prone to corruption is related to one being a liberal or a conservative. There are cases of corruption on oth sides.

Forum List

Back