Honor

'Monuments Men' Honored with Congressional Gold Medal...

'Monuments Men' Honored with Congressional Gold Medal
Oct 23, 2015 | Before Richard Baranick was a successful Chicago architect, he helped safeguard some of Europe's most valuable pieces of Western culture plundered by the Nazis.
Seventy years later, it remains difficult for him to fathom the theft of millions of paintings, sculptures, drawings, pieces of furniture and other objects at the close of World War II, detailed by Robert Edsel in his 2009 book, "The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History." The book was later made into a film by George Clooney. "All for their own selfish pursuit," said Baranick on Thursday, before he and three of the surviving "Monuments Men" -- Harry Ettlinger, Motoko Fujishiro Huthwaite and Bernard Taper -- were honored with the Congressional Gold Medal, one of the nation's highest civilian awards.

They were members of an Allied armies unit assigned to recover the works of art stolen from homes, museums, churches and elsewhere. The roughly 350 civilian soldiers -- mostly middle-aged men and women who were historians, architects and museum personnel before the war -- were part of the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives section. Baranick, born in 1924, served in the Army in France and Austria before signing up to help move looted materials to the Wiesbaden Central Collecting Point in Germany. "The Americans cared about the cultural traditions of Europe," he said. "We did everything we could to salvage what the Nazis had done. It's the best we could do."

monuments-men-600x400.jpg

The Congressional Gold Medal ceremony is presented to the World War II "Monuments Men" at the U.S. Capitol​

According to Edsel, more than 5 million cultural objects were seized by Adolf Hitler and the Nazis. "Their initial responsibility was to mitigate combat damage, primarily to structures _ churches, museums, and other important monuments," Edsel wrote of the Monuments Men. "As the war progressed and the German border was breached, their focus shifted to locating movable works of art and other cultural items stolen or otherwise missing."

In May 2014, Congress voted overwhelmingly to award the Congressional Gold Medal to the unit for their heroic role in preserving works of cultural importance. Relatives of deceased Monuments Men also attended Thursday's bipartisan ceremony, along with members of Congress. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said the Monuments Men, some of whom descended hundreds of feet into salt mines to recover pieces, saved the "creativity that connects us to the heritage of civilization." "They are truly heroes," said Rep. Kay Granger, R-Texas, who sponsored the bill awarding them the medals.

MORE

Honor is a subject I am somewhat reluctant to tackle. I doubt that the civilians here will understand it and even some who served in the military. There are those that spend a career in uniform and never buy into the military mindset . They are not dedicated the mission or their honor, but their career and their pay check. We had many of these people in the Air force; perhaps there are not so many in the other services.

What led to this topic was a news headline about Russian activists taking over cities in the Ukraine. I was thinking there is no doubt that Russia can easily take the Ukraine, but to discourage aggression and promote peace in the future Russian has to pay a high price, the higher price the better. For that to happen the Ukraine needs dedicated military men, men of honor. Where will they get such people? It is easy to say I will fight to the death, but when it comes down to it, it is a hard thing to do. The sides are so militarily mismatched that to resist the Russians is virtually suicide, but if they don’t give their lives the Ukraine has no chance at all.

Obama should be working feverishly in secret helping the Ukrainians prepare to make the Russian pay a very heavy price. He should be providing them with weapons and training, especially anti-tank weapons and tactics. But in the end it will come down to how much value their fighting men place on their honor. To a military man his honor is the most important thing in his life. He places more value on it than he does his life. In Vietnam, we had POWs that that were tortured to death by the Communist because they refused to surrender their honor.

"Fiona: But this isn't right! You're meant to charge in, sword drawn, banner flying... That's what all the other knights did!
Shrek: [glances at a scorched skeleton] Yeah, right before they burst into flame!"
- "Shrek"

Graveyards are full of honorable soldiers. If you're under the impression honor has a place in war, guess again.

Georgia State Patrol Trooper went above and beyond the call of duty...

Trooper comforts children after Halloween tragedy
November 4, 2015 – A Georgia State Patrol Trooper went above and beyond the call of duty after a Halloween tragedy.
Four Morgan County children lost both of their parents as they were getting ready to trick or treat Saturday. Donald and Crystal Howard left their home in Newborn to buy face paint and Halloween candy. They were killed instantly when their SUV flew off the road and hit a tree. Trooper Nathan Bradley arrived at the home to break the news of the tragedy. Unfortunately, I was greeted by four children in full costumes,” Bradley said.

635821765745444875-wxia-halloween-tragedy.jpg

A Georgia couple was tragically killed in a car accident on Halloween night. A police officer was greeted by four kids dressed in full costumes when he went to notify the family. What the officer did instead is an incredible act of kindness.​

With their grandmother’s permission, Bradley didn’t tell the children, who ranged in age from 6 to 13, that their parents had died. “The first thing I said was, ‘Hey lets go get something to eat,’” Bradley said. “They said, ‘My parents will be here soon.’ I said, ‘Your Grandma wants you to hang out with me till she gets here.;” Bradley treated Justin, Amaya, Damien and Travion to dinner, movies and Halloween candy at the Monroe State Patrol post followed by a sleepover. “The whole purpose was to preserve their Halloween,” said Bradley said. They weren't told about their parents’ accident until the next morning when their grandmother arrived.

Bradley also started a GoFundMe page for funeral expenses so that Crystal and Donald can be buried in Florida, where the children are moving in with grandparents. All the kindness came from a young state trooper who didn't want to ruin Halloween for his four new friends. “It’s the first time in the line of duty I told someone I loved them and I do love them,” Bradley said. “I care about them a lot.” The GoFundMe account has raised more than $7400.

Trooper comforts children after Halloween tragedy

Update to previous post...

$455K Raised for Children Who Lost Parents
Nov 9, 2015 -- The eldest of four children who lost their parents in a Halloween afternoon crash is stunned by the generosity of friends and strangers, who have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to help them begin new lives. "I'm thankful for people helping," Justin Stoesser, 13, said Friday.
His parents, Donald and Crystal Howard, were killed in a single-car wreck Saturday as they returned from a store where the Morgan County couple had bought extra trick-or-treat candy and face paint. A Georgia trooper who got the call about a fatal wreck spent hours with the quartet until relatives from Florida arrived to take the youngsters home with them. Trooper First Class Nathan Bradley's actions, and the children's plight touched a national soft spot and touched off a flood of donations that shows few signs of slowing. By late Friday afternoon, a GoFundMe site Bradley had set up for Justin and his siblings, Amiah, Daimean and Tayvion Howard, had approached $400,000 in donations. In addition, a Union City car dealership announced it was giving a mini-van to the kids' relatives. Others rallied to look after their pets.

Bradley was delighted with the response from friends and strangers. He'd hoped to raise $7,000 with the online site to pay for the parents' funeral. "I hope it's boosted the morale of the nation and I hope it's made the public trust law enforcement more," said Bradley, 24, who chose to stay with the children Halloween night instead of placing them in protective services. The donations -- by Friday, more than 10,000 people had given -- came from just down the road to across the nation. Some gave a few dollars, while others dug deeper. "My heart broke when I read this story," Mark Fischbach, who gave $5,000, wrote on the funding site. "Money can't fix this pain but hopefully it'll ensure that the kids don't have other things to worry about in the future."

A Union City car dealer felt the same way. When he learned about the fatal crash, Joey Lonsdale of Ivory Chevrolet looked at a Chrysler Town and Country mini-van at the firm's used-car lot. It had been on the site for a couple of weeks. Lonsdale decided that was long enough. The dealership is giving the van -- black, with 42,000 miles, worth about $18,000 -- to the family. "It hit home with me, that tragedy," said Lonsdale, the dealership's finance director. "They need that van a lot more than we do." Others pitched in to rescue animals left at the Howard household; with the kids in Florida, their futures were uncertain. Melissa Milam of Marietta promptly rescued Sherlock Holmes, Kate Beckett, Olivia Benson and Elliott Ness -- each a Schnauzer, each suddenly homeless. The kids' grandmother said she couldn't take the dogs. "I didn't hesitate," said Milam, a volunteer with the Homeless Pets Foundation, a Marietta pet-rescue group.

MORE

See also:

Officer Helps Injured Runner Cross Finish Line
Nov 9, 2015 - A Savannah-Chatham Metro Police officer has earned the spotlight after helping a runner cross the finish line at Saturday's Rock 'N' Roll Marathon in Savannah.
When Sgt. John Cain, a 27-year veteran with the department, saw runner Robert McCoy fall approximately 200 yards from the finish line, he — along with other officers and paramedics — rushed to his side.

runner.56412bc65d24b.jpg

A Savannah-Chatham Metro Police officer has earned the spotlight after helping a runner cross the finish line at Saturday's Rock 'N' Roll Marathon in Savannah.​

According to the police department, McCoy — who had cuts on his face and legs — finished the half marathon with Cain's help while a paramedic followed behind on a bicycle. "I could feel in my heart that he needed to finish," Cain said. "There was a purpose for him doing so and he wanted to accomplish the goal."

A photo of Sgt. Cain and McCoy was posted on the and as of this writing, it's been shared more than 1,830 times. "I am just glad I was in a position to help him do that," the veteran said. "He is an inspiration to me, he is the hero in this story."

Georgia Officer Helps Injured Runner Cross Finish Line | Officer.com

Related:

Deputy Rescues Elderly Couple From Fire
Nov 9, 2015 - A Palm Beach County, Florida Sheriff's deputy rescued a couple from a blaze Saturday night.
Deputy Brandon Serraes carried 95-year-old Byron Krieger, who was on fire, and his wife down two flights of stairs at Century Village in suburban Boca Raton, according to WPTV. Krieger was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami where he later died.

floridadeputy.5640e688ee0ca.jpg

Palm Beach County Sheriff's Deputy Brandon Serraes carried the couple down two flights of stairs Saturday night.​

His wife, who he was married to for 57 years, did not suffer life-threatening injuries and is expected to survive. A relative told the news station that the fire happened while his father was lighting the Havdalah candle -- a ceremony to represent the End of Shabbat.

Florida Deputy Rescues Elderly Couple From Fire | Officer.com

Last edited:
Young twins get memory of a lifetime...

Twin boys reunited with their World War II hero
November 27, 2015 -- It all began in Raleigh, North Carolina, with a flurry of plastic bombshells. A few years ago, 11-year-old twins -- Carter and Jack Hanson-- got really into the game Battleship. That got them interested in naval warfare in general, which eventually led to a family vacation to see the Yorktown - a retired aircraft carrier in Charleston, South Carolina.
"My mind was just blown," said Carter. The kids say the Yorktown changed their lives. "I just realized how amazing history can be," added Carter. And it was about to get even better. On that same trip the boys learned about a World War II veteran named Robert Harding who actually served on the Yorktown. They got his email address, started corresponding daily, and became really enamored. The boys keep his picture by their beds and if you ever go to the Yorktown with them, as we did, they'll chew your ear off about Mr. Harding and what he did onboard as a plane handler.

hartman-headlinesframe6281.jpg

Carter and Jack Hanson hug WWII veteran Robert Harding as they meet for the first time​

The folks who run the Yorktown say a lot of kids love the ship, but no kid has ever fallen for a sailor who served on the vessel like these two boys have fallen for Mr. Harding. Which is why, for this trip, the Yorktown made special arrangements for a surprise visitor: Mr. Harding. The boys ran to embrace him; hugging an old salt never felt so sweet. It was hard to tell who enjoyed it more, or who needed it more. Over the years Mr. Harding says he'd kept most of his war stories to himself. "I guess I needed somebody to talk to about it," said Mr. Harding. "It's surprising the way it worked out."

The kids, all three of them, spent the rest of the day exploring the ship and making memories. Since CBS News first told this story in April, Mr. Harding and the boys have stayed in touch. Last month they got together again at the Yorktown, this time for an entire weekend. The boys spent the night on the ship -- and even better, they got to attend a reunion full of sailors who served on the Yorktown. The sailors gave Jack and Carter certificates naming them honorary members of the Yorktown crew.

evening-news-air-record-20151127-net03mdc-02frame17021.png

Jack (left) and Carter Hanson (right) got certificates naming them honorary members of the Yorktown crew​

The boys could barely contain their excitement. "This is going in my room," Jack exclaimed. "I don't even know what to say, this was just awesome! I mean -- an official member of Yorktown - it's been my dream," Carter added. Whoever said history is irrelevant obviously never fell in love with it. "We don't know about how we've changed his life, but we know that he obviously changed ours," said Carter.

Twin boys' World War II dream comes true

Louisville, Ky. pays tribute to forgotten WWII veteran who went through the hell of Normandy beach...

Hundreds of Strangers Honor Lonely WWII Veteran
Dec 19, 2015 | Hundreds of strangers paid tribute at a Kentucky funeral home to a "humble" survivor of World War II's Normandy Invasion. His caregiver had worried that no one would come to the Army veteran's funeral.
Warren McDonough, who landed at Normandy, France on June 6, 1944, was 91 when he died Saturday. He never married and his only known survivor was a nephew in Florida. The big crowd who attended his wake Thursday night at Ratterman's Funeral Home in St. Matthews showed up in response to a call from Lena Lyons, who runs a boarding home where McDonough spent his final days.

Lyons told WHAS-TV McDonough deserved to be remembered because of what he did for his country. He was part of the first wave at Omaha Beach and earned a Purple Heart. But he never talked about his wartime experience--except for one time, she said. "He said he pretended to be dead until they all went away," she told WHAS-TV. "He said, 'And then I inched slowly across other bodies and I went across this one guy and his lips were moving and I got up close to him and he was saying the Lord's Prayer.' And he said. 'I laid with him and stayed with him and prayed with him until he died.'"

troops-at-normandy-600x400.jpg

US troops prepare to attack during the Normandy invasion on June 6, 1944. More than 160,000 American troops landed in France that day; Warren McDonough, who died at age 91, was one of them.​

More strangers are expected to attend McDonough's funeral Friday at Fairmont Cemetery in Central City. He is being buried with full military honors. At the wake, George Southern and other members of the Kentucky and Indiana Patriot Guard stood at the entrance to the funeral home in the cold as an honorary color guard, WLKY-TV reported. "He gave his life and his days for us to have this freedom to do this and we stand in honor of him," Southern told the station.

Lyons said McDonough wrote his own obituary but did not include everything. "Nothing about the Purple Heart or his Medal of Courage, nothing, not even that he was in the Army, let alone that he went to Normandy," she told WLKY. "He was a very humble man." Lyons told WHAS McDonough always said he was not a hero. "I was just doing what I was supposed to do," she quoted him as saying.

Hundreds of Strangers Honor Lonely WWII Veteran | Military.com

Officers feed an old man in need...

Tennessee Officers Feed Elderly Man in Need
Jan 13, 2016 -- When the Mt. Pleasant Police Department received a call Saturday that one of the city's elderly residents was hungry, the on-duty officers put their money together to purchase and personally deliver a month's worth of groceries to the caller.
Patrolmen Adam Runions, Nathan Bolton, Buddy Odom and Brian Grey were all eating lunch together when the call came in. The four were aware of a previous case surrounding William Isabell who, on Jan. 3, reported $70 in cash and a debit card stolen from his wallet by a former caregiver named Tammy Brooks. Because he was unable to access his bank account on his own, Isabell would have trouble purchasing groceries for the month. "Somebody needed our help and that is what we are here for," Bolton said. "As far as we go, it's just who we are and how we where raised. You put other people before yourself and you try and take care of somebody."

gooddeed.56964a2735040.jpg

Four Mt. Pleasant police officers put their money together to purchase and personally deliver a month's worth of groceries to the man.​

The four put their money together and purchased $160 worth of groceries at a local store. "We all just lended a hand and took care of business. It was the right thing for us to do," Grey said. When the officers pulled up to Isabell's home off North Main Street, Isabell was looking out of his front porch window and very surprised to see the four patrol cars pulling up to his home. "I thank them for everything they do for me. You know I don't have a lot of friends down here," said Isabell, a Maury County native and retired truck driver who spent more than 40 years on routes driving from the South East to California.

He said that that his employers forced him to retire because of his diminishing health. The officers completely filled Isabell's refrigerator and pantry with the groceries they purchased. "I didn't need all that," Isabell said. He receives warm meals daily from a local Meals on Wheels program. "This is a small town. We try to help everybody here," Grey said. Isabell, who is attended by a caregiver for five hours a day seven days a week, said that for the past few weeks officers from the department had been stopping by his home to check up on him. "What the people of Mt. Pleasant sometimes seem to forget is that we are here to help, we are here to help them however we can," Grey said.

MORE

See also:

New York Officers Rescue Six From Fire
January 12, 2016 - Wearing just their uniforms, the five officers commandeered a ladder and rescued six people -- including two children -- from the blaze Friday.
Flames were shooting from the building, thick black smoke filled the air, and people trapped inside were screaming for help when police officers from Nassau’s Fifth Precinct arrived at the fire in West Hempstead, officials said Monday. Wearing just their uniforms — no protective gear or masks — the five officers commandeered a ladder and rescued six people, including two children from the blaze Friday, which began shortly after 10:40 a.m., officials said. Three of the five officers — Luis Ascencio, James Schuerlein and Evan Marro — described their actions, which were captured in part on video, at Police Benevolent Association headquarters in Mineola on Monday. “There was no visibility,” said Ascencio, a 10-year Nassau cop. “The smoke was so thick and black, you could barely see the people on the second floor. Pretty much all you heard was people screaming for help.”

firerescue.56955e1fcba88.jpg

Wearing just their uniforms, the five officers commandeered a ladder and rescued six people -- including two children -- from the blaze Friday​

The fire on Hempstead Turnpike began in the basement, police said. A 40-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman — who Ascensio and Schuerlein helped rescue — were taken by ambulance to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, police said. Firefighters from the West Hempstead Fire Department, along with three other departments, assisted at the scene, extinguishing the fire, police said. Hempstead police also assisted at the scene, police said. The fire began in the building’s basement, but does not appear suspicious, police said.

James Carver, president of the PBA, said the all of the officers’ supervisors had put them in for departmental medals and awards in recognition of their “heroic” actions. “These are police officers going up a ladder — they don’t have any gear on them, no protection from the smoke — going up this ladder, risking their own life to help other people,” Carver said. Ascensio was first on the scene and helped a man and a woman escape the blaze by climbing a ladder in the front of the building. Schuerlein said of the 40-year-old man he and his partner, Peter Duvenhorst, an 18-year officer, helped rescue: “The second victim, he was aspirating,” said Schuerlein, who has been on the force for 13 years. “He couldn’t breathe. He had black soot just pouring out of his nose.”

MORE

Last edited:
Looks gold to me...

Corpsman to Get Silver Star for Heroism after Afghan Insider Attack
Feb 03, 2016 | A Navy hospital corpsman serving with the Marines' elite special operations command will be recognized this week for heroism shown when he braved enemy fire to rush to the side of wounded troops in Afghanistan's Herat province in 2014 when they were attacked by a rogue Afghan commando.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Alejandro Salabarria, 28, will receive the Silver Star, the military's third-highest combat honor, at a ceremony Friday at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Salabarria, a member of 2nd Marine Raider Battalion, earned the award Sept. 15, 2014, while deployed to Afghanistan as a team medic with Marine Special Operations Team 8214. The Marine Corps would formally pull out of the country the following month.

The team had been gathered at a helicopter landing zone with a group of Italian special forces troops and Afghan special operations commandos, who received training from the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, or MARSOC, Raiders and conducted missions alongside them. Suddenly, according to Salabarria's medal citation, one of the commandos turned his weapons on the American, Afghan and Italian forces, firing on them with his M4 assault rifle and M203 grenade launcher. Known as insider attacks or green-on-blue attacks, such assaults have been responsible for dozens of U.S. and coalition deaths. In 2014, an Army two-star general, Maj. Gen. Harold Greene, was killed in one such attack.

silver-star-600.jpg

Silver Star​

In an instant, the troops' planned helicopter assault mission was thrown into chaos. Multiple MARSOC troops and Afghan personnel were wounded in the first seconds of the attack, according to Salabarria's citation. But the corpsman didn't hesitate. He charged into the kill zone, firing on the rogue commando with his own M4 rifle as he maneuvered to the side of a wounded fellow medic. Placing his body as a shield between the commando and the wounded medic, Salabarria continued to fight him off, ultimately killing the rogue soldier with his M4. Then, after making sure the area was secure, he treated two other wounded team members and coordinated their evacuation via helicopter, according to his citation.

Although none of the wounded are named in the citation, one Marine raider was killed in the green-on-blue attack. Sgt. Charles Strong, 28, a critical skills operator with 2nd Marine Raider Battalion, would succumb to his wounds, becoming one of the last Marines to die in Afghanistan. Salabarria, a Miami native, will be the 25th member of MARSOC to receive the prestigious Silver Star since the command was formed 10 years ago. Prior to serving in MARSOC, Salabarria had completed the Army Basic Airborne School and served as a senior line corpsman for a scout sniper platoon attached to 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines out of Camp Lejeune.

Corpsman to Get Silver Star for Heroism after Afghan Insider Attack | Military.com

Givin' credit where credit's due...

Long Island Police Officer Revives Baby Boy
February 10, 2016 - Southampton Officer Kristian LoRusso was able to revive a baby boy who had stopped breathing.
A Southampton Town police officer was able to revive a baby boy who had stopped breathing after the child’s elementary school-aged sister called 911 for help, police said. The incident occurred at a home in Westhampton at 8:10 a.m. on Wednesday, police said. The family’s identity has not been released. Police said Officer Kristian LoRusso responded to the scene and on arrival, was handed the 1-year-old child by the baby’s mother.

longislandcop.56bb431de5f93.jpg

Southampton Officer Kristian LoRusso was able to revive a baby boy who had stopped breathing.​

The infant was “blue and not breathing,” police said, adding that the mother could not communicate effectively with the officer because of a language barrier. LoRusso, a 16-year department veteran, checked for a pulse, but found none, police said. He then began “rescue breathing and chest compressions” and police said the baby soon began to breathe on his own.

The child was then transported to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead by Westhampton Beach Ambulance. Police said the officer was credited with saving the child’s life. Before joining Southampton police, LoRusso worked for the NYPD for 2 1/2 years, police said.

Long Island Police Officer Revives Baby Boy | Officer.com

Alaska state trooper rescues hypthermic man from freezin' to death...

Alaska Trooper Saves Hypothermic Man
Feb 17, 2016 - An Alaska state trooper rescued a hypothermic Chatanika man from the side of the Steese Highway on Monday night after someone reported an intoxicated pedestrian on the roadside.
According to a Tuesday dispatch, troopers received a report at about 9:45 p.m. Monday of a man sitting along the highway, shivering in wet clothing, near Mile 48. A responding trooper found 40-year-old Samuel Foster at the scene. "Foster was in a state of hypothermia, was severely frostbitten, had difficulty speaking, and (indicated) that he wasn't able to move on his own," troopers wrote. "The responding trooper had to carry Samuel to the patrol car to start responding back toward Fairbanks."

The trooper transferred Foster to an ambulance near Mile 16 of the Steese, with medics reporting that his temperature had fallen to 89 degrees. Fairbanks Memorial Hospital staff said Foster was being treated in the hospital's emergency room Tuesday morning but didn't provide his condition.

Alaska Trooper Saves Hypothermic Man | Officer.com

For heroic action in Afghanistan...

Marine Veteran Receives Silver Star
Mar 19, 2016 | For actions considered heroic and courageous in the eyes of fellow Marines and the president of the United States, former Sgt. Matthew Parker was awarded the Silver Star on Friday.
Four companies of Marines stood in formation to honor Parker. Friends, fellow Marines and family members sat under tents that overlooked the grassy area where Parker was recognized. The full citation, signed for Barrack Obama by Lt. Gen. Robert Neller, commandant of the Marine Corps, was read aloud. Maj. Gen. Brian Beaudreault shook Parker's hand over and over, speaking so only Parker could hear, as he handed over the red case containing the Silver Star certificate, which was awarded for Parker's actions while serving in Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom on May 21, 2011.

On that day Parker's platoon was under enemy fire when the platoon commander and squad leader were injured and incapacitated, according to the award citation. Parker "boldly assumed control" of two rifle squads, a Combined Anti-Armor Team section, a vehicle mobile element and a sniper team. Through Parker's coordinated firing and maneuvering, the citation reads, the platoon and supporting elements destroyed two enemy machinegun positions. Parker then guided the firefight, forcing the enemy to withdraw. He evacuated casualties and withdrew his force to the closest patrol base.

parker-final.jpg

Matthew Parker, who served with the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines, received the Silver Star during a March 18 ceremony for his actions in Afghanistan​

Parker's platoon sergeant, Josh Wartchow, said he was at the patrol base when the snipers saw the incoming attack. "Matt kept communicating back to us everything that was going on," Wartchow said, adding that the communication between Parker and the patrol base was key to the success of the Marines that day. "Wear that thing proudly," Beaudreault said, pointing at Parker, who was wearing the Silver Star. "You won on that day."

Beaudreault told the gathered Marines and civilians that Parker represented everything the Marine Corps could hope for in leadership. "On that particular day, eight years into your enlistment, is when everything we want to teach the young NCOs out here that stand in this formation, you manifested on the battlefield," Beaudreault told Parker. Wartchow said Parker being awarded the Silver Star has been in motion for years. "It was an amazing day when he called me" to say he was receiving the Silver Star, Wartchow said.

MORE

Above and beyond the call of duty...

Deputies Save Woman Trapped in Fiery Wreck
March 24, 2016 - Dashboard camera video captured Indian River County Deputies Robert Sunkel and Linda Nolan work frantically to rescue of Cheryl Darlene Coons.
Two vehicles were filled with flames when deputies arrived at the scene of the crash. One woman was trapped inside her car. Deputies briefly feared they would not be able to get her out. But that didn't stop Deputies Robert Sunkel and Linda Nolan from succeeding. "This is pretty incredible," said Indian River County Sheriff's Office spokesman Lt. Eric Flowers about the rescue of Cheryl Darlene Coons, 58, of Vero Beach, at Oslo Road and 66th Avenue on Wednesday morning. Coons was in critical condition Wednesday at Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute in Fort Pierce, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

The three-car crash set a septic tank truck and a Toyota Camry on fire. An empty Republic Services garbage truck also was involved in the crash. It was heading eastbound on Oslo and was struck by the septic truck after its collision with the Camry. Flowers said Coons, who was in the Camry, had been traveling south on 66th and made a right turn on Oslo about 10:45 a.m. She pulled out in front of the septic truck, which was traveling west through the intersection. Both vehicles caught fire shortly after the collision. "We don't know how the fire started," Flowers said.

rescue.56f40aba60649.jpg

When Sunkel and Nolan arrived, Coons was conscious but she could not open her damaged door, said Indian River County Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Brian Burkeen. The deployed air bag had her trapped in her seat, Flowers said. Nolan burned her hand trying to open the passenger door, Flowers said. That's when Sunkel used his baton to smash the passenger side window.

After a couple of attempts, Sunkel and Nolan removed Coons from the burning Camry through the window, then pulled her away from the wreckage as the fire spread to the grass in the northwest corner of the intersection, Flowers said. "We had some heroes involved in this," Burkeen said about the deputies. The deputies were not available for comment Wednesday.

MORE

John 15.13...
:salute:
Marine Killed in Iraq 'Made Sure Everybody Got in the Bunker'
Mar 26, 2016 | The commandant of the Marine Corps paid tribute to a staff sergeant killed by Islamic State rocket fire in Iraq last week, shedding new light on the circumstances surrounding the loss.
Staff Sgt. Louis Cardin, 27, a member of Battalion Landing Team 2/6, 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, was killed by indirect fire March 19 at a new artillery outpost near Makhmour, Iraq, shortly after he and a small element of Marines had detached from the MEU in order to support the small post. Speaking at a Marine Corps Association awards dinner near Washington, D.C. Thursday night, Gen. Robert Neller said three other Marines wounded in that same rocket attack were due to arrive back in the United States that evening, headed for Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.

Reflecting on Cardin's loss, Neller did not prevaricate about a fight that US officials still refuse to describe as a combat operation. "The loss of a Marine is sad, but I thought about it: He was leading his Marines in combat," Neller said. "They were in indirect fire and he made sure everybody got in the bunker, and he just didn't make it in time. Is that sad? That's sad. But if you're going to go, you want to go in the fight."

louis-cardin.jpg

The remains of Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Louis F. Cardin of Temecula, Calif., arrive at Dover Air Force Base, Del.​

During a briefing to reporters at the Pentagon on Friday, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford said the circumstances of Cardin's death, the second combat death since the coalition fight against Islamic State militants began, does not change the nature of the operation or indicate an increase in the Marines' ground combat role. "This is not a fundamental shift in our approach to support the Iraqi forces," he said. "This happens to be what was the most appropriate tool that the commander assessed needed to be in that particular location."

In his talk, Neller encouraged Marines to remain sharp, reminding them that the Corps was forward deployed all over the world to remain ready and train for future fights. "[Cardin's] death, and the things we see every day, from the attacks in Brussels by those murderous cowards that we're fighting, that's part of our world today," he said. "So whether [The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant] continues to use terror to intimidate us and kill innocents, at the same time other adversaries, as they have since we've been engaged in the Middle East, are developing their capabilities to challenge us on future battlefields."

Neller also fired a shot across the bow at another geopolitical threat, hinting that Marine Corps leaders were eager to answer the saber-rattling of Russian president Vladimir Putin with a show of force. About 1,800 Marines, he said, had recently wrapped up a massive cold-weather exercise in Norway, Operation Cold Response. "It's the biggest exercise we've done in Norway in some time," he said. We were working to repopulate our [pre-positioning equipment] in the caves, and the Norwegians were happy to see us and I'm sure our Russian friends were paying attention. Mr. Putin has done us a great favor."

Marine Killed in Iraq 'Made Sure Everybody Got in the Bunker' | Military.com

Timing must have been the hand of God...

Hero Cop Saves Woman Found Shot, Bound
March 26, 2016 - Something looked odd Wednesday when an undercover Grosse Pointe Park police officer noticed a pickup parked in a weedy field on the city's east side.
When the cop approached, a man got out of a Chevrolet Silverado pickup, said he'd run out of gas, and then flashed a badge and claimed he was with a fugitive recovery team, Detroit police said. Luckily, the officer was able to spy a woman sprawled in the pickup's front seat, bound with duct tape at her ankles and wrists; she also had gunshot wounds to each leg, police said. The woman had been bound, beaten and shot by her husband, Detroit police Sgt. Michael Woody said. Police believe the husband, 35, of Hazel Park had been about to kill his 33-year-old wife and dump her body in the field near the Coleman A. Young International Airport, Woody said.

[video][/video]
Woman recovering after being saved by officer​

The husband had thrown the woman's "clothing, purse, cell phone and miscellaneous items in a field across the street" from the field where he was arrested, Woody added. The man's badge was a fake. He is now in custody awaiting charges while the woman is being treated at a hospital, according to Detroit police. "I think this officer definitely saved her life. He's a hero," Woody said. Police are not releasing the name of the undercover officer. Grosse Pointe Park police had no comment on the case, according to an officer answering the non-emergency phone line.

The field in the shadow of airplane takeoffs and landings has a history of homicide. It's the same area where two Westland teens who had come to Detroit to buy drugs were found dead in 2012, Detroit police Assistant Chief Steve Dolunt said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

Hero Michigan Officer Saves Woman Found Shot, Bound | Officer.com

We attended the base ceremony when my stepson was awarded a Bronze Star for actions during his second tour in Afghanistan. Even though we were in the second row, we heard hardly a word of it. The PA system was shit, and the big-shouldered brass in the front row blocked most of the view.

So afterwards, I went to the stage and asked if we could get a copy of the commendation script. She handed me the one she used, which I really appreciated. I sat down and carefully read the whole thing and I was shaking. I mean fuck. I put it away where his mom couldn't find it. She's never asked for it either. Damn.

Green Berets receive awards for valor in battle...

Green Berets honored with Silver Star and eight other valor awards
May 6, 2016 - As the bullets rained down around him, Staff Sgt. Michael Sargent dragged a fallen Afghan soldier to safety.
Then, without hesitation or concern about his own safety, the Green Beret entered the courtyard in southern Afghanistan again to recover the body of a second fallen Afghan soldier and help a wounded teammate get to cover. For his actions on that day in December, Sargent was awarded the Silver Star, the nation’s third-highest award for valor. Sargent and several other members of A Company, 1st Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group were honored last Friday for their actions during their recent deployment to Afghanistan.

635929449147147345-ARM-McClintock-1.JPG

Sgt. 1st Class Matthew McClintock posthumously received the Silver Star.​

In all, the soldiers earned the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars with V device, six Army Commendation Medals with V device, and one Purple Heart. “These men are heroes, plain and simple,” said Maj. Gen. Bret Daugherty, adjutant general of the Washington National Guard, during the ceremony, according to information released by the Army. “They don’t boast. They don’t draw undue attention to themselves. They just get the job done.” The men of A Company deployed to Afghanistan in July, and they were tasked with developing and partnering with members of the Afghan National Security Forces.

Their teammate, Sgt. 1st Class Matthew McClintock, 30, was killed Jan. 5 in hours-long fighting near the city of Marjah, in Afghanistan’s Helmand province. McClintock was posthumously promoted and awarded the Silver Star for his actions on that day; McClintock’s wife, Alexandra, has said her husband’s teammates told her he left a compound, under fire, to find a new landing zone so a helicopter could land and evacuate a wounded teammate.

635980709001841812-2568687.jpg

Staff Sgt. Michael Sargent, A Company, 1st Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group, was awarded the Silver Star on April 29, 2016, in Tacoma, Wash.​

Many of the awards presented last week were to McClintock’s teammates for their actions during that same battle. “The men we honored today, including those who were unable to be with us, represent the best of what is inside all of those who serve this great nation,” said Maj. Aron Horiel, commander of A Company, according to the Army. “It is truly an honor and a privilege to be their commander.”

MORE

Paying credit where credit is due...
icon17.gif

Obama Awards Officers With Medal of Valor
May 16, 2016 - President Barack Obama awarded 13 officers with the nation's highest honor for law enforcement.
The Public Safety Medal of Valor ceremony was held during National Police Week and was given to 12 officers in person and one posthumously, according to USA Today. Philadelphia Police Sergeant Robert Wilson III stopped at a video game store last year to buy his son a gift for getting good grades when two armed men entered the store. Wilson confronted them and was fatally wounded in an ensuing shootout. Wilson's grandmother, Constance Wilson, accepted the Medal of Valor for the fallen officer. "To a person, each of these honorees acted without regard to their own safety," Obama said. "We're so grateful they were there -- some off duty, others on duty, and all rising above and beyond the call of duty."

Obama called on Americans to support law enforcement and thanked their families for bearing the burden. "We know that you wait up late and you’re worried and you're counting down the minutes until your loved one walks through the door safe after a long shift," he said. "We know it never gets easier, and we thank you for that." The Public Safety Medal of Valor was established by President Bill Clinton by executive order in 2000 and officially recognized by Congress in 2001.

valor.573a0e186882b.jpg

Recipients of the 2013-2014 Medal of Valor:

* Officer Mario Gutierrez (Miami-Dade Police Department, FL) For bravery and composure while enduring a violent attack. Officer Gutierrez sustained multiple stab wounds while subduing a knife-wielding assailant who attempted to set off a massive gas explosion that could have resulted in multiple fatalities.
* Patrolman Louis Cioci (Johnson City Police Department, NY) For courageously resolving a volatile encounter with a gunman. After witnessing the murder of his fellow officer, Patrolman Cioci pursued and apprehended the gunman at a crowded hospital, thereby saving the lives of employees, patients, and visitors.
* Officers Jason Salas and Robert Sparks (Santa Monica Police Department, CA), and Captain Raymond Bottenfield (Santa Monica College Police Department, CA) For courage and composure in ending a deadly rampage. Officer Salas, Officer Sparks, and Captain Bottenfield placed themselves in mortal danger to save the lives of students and staff during a school shooting on the busy campus of Santa Monica College.
* Major David Huff (Midwest City Police Department, OK) For uncommon poise in resolving a dangerous hostage situation. Major Huff saved the life of a two-year-old girl after negotiations deteriorated with a man holding the child captive at knife point.
* Officer Donald Thompson (Los Angeles Police Department, CA) For courageous action to save an accident victim. While off duty, Officer Thompson traversed two freeway dividers and endured first- and second-degree burns while pulling an unconscious man to safety from a car moments before it became engulfed in flames.
* Officer Coral Walker (Omaha Police Department, NE) For taking brave and decisive action to subdue an active shooter. After exchanging gunfire, Officer Walker single-handedly incapacitated a man who had killed and injured multiple victims on a shooting spree.

Recipients of the 2014-2015 Medal of Valor:

* Officer Gregory Stevens (Garland Police Department, TX) For demonstrating extraordinary courage to save lives. Officer Stevens exchanged gunfire at close range and subdued two heavily-armed assailants preventing a mass shooting.
* Fallen Sergeant Robert Wilson III (Philadelphia Police Department, PA) For giving his life to protect innocent civilians. Sergeant Wilson put himself in harm’s way during an armed robbery, drawing fire from the assailants and suffering a mortal wound as he kept store employees and customers safe.
* Officer Niel Johnson (North Miami Police Department, FL) For swift and valorous action to end a violent crime spree. Officer Johnson pursued a man who had shot a Miami police officer and two other innocent bystanders, withstanding fire from an assault weapon, and apprehended the assailant.
* Special Agent Tyler Call (Federal Bureau of Investigation) For his heroic actions to save a hostage. Special Agent Call, who was off duty with his family, helped rescue a woman from her ex-husband who had violated a restraining order and held the victim at gunpoint.
* Deputy Joey Tortorella (Niagara County Sheriff’s Office, NY) For placing himself in grave danger to protect his community. Deputy Tortorella confronted and subdued a volatile gunman who had shot and wounded his parents inside their home and by doing so prevented the gunman from threatening the safety of students at a nearby elementary school.

Obama Awards Officers With Medal of Valor | Officer.com

Fallen Deputy finally gets Recognition long overdue...
icon17.gif

Fallen Deputy to be Recognized 130 Years Later
May 20, 2016 - On Friday, Cheshire County Deputy Sheriff John S. Walker Sr. will join his fallen brethren whose names are listed on the N.H. Law Enforcement Officers' Memorial wall.
By all accounts, Cheshire County Deputy Sheriff John S. Walker Sr. suffered a horrific death. He was struck by an ax in the head and arm, clung to life for a little more than a month, then died of blood poisoning and typhoid fever. It took 130 years, but on Friday, Walker will join his fallen brethren whose names are listed on the N.H. Law Enforcement Officers' Memorial wall. Ceremonies will take place at the wall on the grounds of the Legislative Office Building behind the Statehouse in Concord. A local ceremony remembering Walker was held this morning at the Cheshire County Sheriff's Department, and a request to include him in the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial is in progress and will likely be approved by next year.

memorial.573efcccafa1e.jpg

On Friday, Cheshire County Deputy Sheriff John S. Walker Sr. will join his fallen brethren whose names are listed on the N.H. Law Enforcement Officers' Memorial wall.​

Walker's story was buried by time, the question being whether he was officially on duty when killed. That he was helping someone was never in doubt. The attack occurred March 16, 1886, and Walker died April 22, leaving behind a wife and child. Cheshire County Sheriff Eliezer "Eli" Rivera picks up the story. About a year and a half ago, Tuftonboro Police Chief Andrew Shagoury contacted Rivera about "a possible line of duty death in your county," Rivera said. Shagoury heard about Walker through a University of Pennsylvania research project, and suggested Rivera check it out. Combing through county record books, several newspapers, and documents in local historical societies, and pulling out land deeds and death certificates, Rivera came up with the following:

Walker, of Langdon, was asked by Mrs. Charles Jennings of Walpole to help her move her belongings out of her house. She had just started divorce proceedings, claiming she was in an abusive relationship with Charles Jennings, who was known to be a heavy drinker. Walker accompanied a wagoner (the "moving company" of the period) to the home and Charles Jennings was cooperative as they loaded her belongings into the horse-drawn wagon. But then something went wrong. "Apparently, the wagoner grabbed the wrong box by accident and that set Mr. Jennings off. He came out and attacked the deputy with an ax, causing severe injuries," Rivera said. Walker's death certificate says he died of complications caused by his injuries.

Jennings fled and was eventually captured in Vermont. He was charged with second-degree murder and ultimately pleaded guilty to manslaughter. He tried unsuccessfully to commit suicide in prison, and died 12 years after being convicted. It's not totally clear if Walker was officially acting in his capacity as deputy sheriff, or as a friend. Really, it's moot, the state's Law Enforcement Officers' Memorial Committee decided, because he was performing the duties of a deputy sheriff. Thus, Walker becomes the first recorded New Hampshire police officer to die in the line of duty. In reading the national guidelines, Rivera is convinced Walker qualifies for inclusion at the national memorial in Washington.

MORE

See also:

Photo of Officer Calming Student Goes Viral
May 19, 2016 - The story of a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer who calmed an autistic and potentially suicidal high school student has gone viral with 700,000 likes on the department's Facebook page.
On The Street
Photo of Officer Calming Student Goes Viral Joe Marusak On May 19, 2016
Source: The Charlotte Observer
viralphoto 573e06bd5f5e2

The story of a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer who calmed an autistic and potentially suicidal high school student has gone viral with 700,000 likes on the department's Facebook page.

Photo credit: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
viralphoto 573e06bd5f5e2

The story of a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer who calmed an autistic and potentially suicidal high school student has gone viral with 700,000 likes on the department's Facebook page.

Photo credit: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department

CHARLOTTE -- The story of a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer who calmed an autistic and potentially suicidal high school student has gone viral with 700,000 likes on the department's Facebook page.

To build a connection with the student, Officer Tim Purdy sat next to him on the ground, talked things through and even got him laughing, police said in the May 13 posting.

Because of the student's neuro-developmental disorder, he also had a history of displaying violent behavior, police said.

viralphoto.573e06bd5f5e2.jpg

"Officer Purdy established trust and a relationship that allowed officers to get this young man the help that he so desperately needed," CMPD said in the posting. "There's more to policing than making arrests and enforcing the law. Sometimes taking those extra little steps makes the biggest difference in someone's life #CMPD #compassion."

The department's posting also has generated 244,600 shares.

Photo of Officer Calming Autistic Teen Goes Viral | Officer.com

A double hero...
icon_cool.gif

Cop Who Revived Baby Saves Man Who OD'd
June 3, 2016 -- Three months after reviving a baby boy who had stopped breathing, Southampton Town police Officer Kristian LoRusso added another save to his law enforcement ledger — by administering Narcan to a man who had overdosed on heroin in the back seat of a car, police said Thursday.
The incident happened on May 9 in Speonk, police said. It was on Feb. 3 that LoRusso, responding to a 911 call placed by the elementary school-aged sister of a baby boy, went to a home in Westhampton where he revived the 1-year-old child who had stopped breathing. In that case, police spokeswoman Lt. Susan Ralph said, LoRusso overcame some roadblocks — the child’s mother could not effectively communicate with the officer due to a language barrier; the child had no pulse, forcing LoRusso to begin “rescue breathing and chest compressions” — in order to save the baby.

nyofficer.57517795e6250.jpg

Officer Kristian LoRusso​

In the case on May 9, police said LoRusso’s prompt actions saved the victim, identified only as a 28-year-old man who had overdosed on heroin. Ralph said that police received a 911 call from the victim’s girlfriend at 3:41 p.m. on May 9, reporting that the man was “unresponsive” after injecting heroin. LoRusso responded to the scene and found the man in the back seat of a car parked along South Phillips Avenue at South Country Road. “The girlfriend called 911, saying her boyfriend was ‘unresponsive,’ ” Ralph said, “and when Kris got there [the victim] was actually shallow breathing.”

Ralph said LoRusso administered Narcan and that within about four minutes the victim was again breathing normally. The man was then transported to the Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead via Westhampton Beach Ambulance. Southampton Town officers have used Narcan for about two years and Ralph said the department has found it to be “a lifesaving ally in the fight against opioid deaths.” Before joining Southampton Town police, LoRusso spent 2 1/2 years as an officer with the NYPD.

Officer Who Revived Baby Saves Man Who Overdosed | Officer.com

See also:

Off-Duty NYPD Cop Helps Rescue Man in River
June 2, 2016 - Three Good Samaritans, including an off-duty NYPD captain, jumped in the East River on Wednesday morning to rescue a man who had jumped in.
The emotionally disturbed man was acting erratically on the riverbank near East 10th Street before he jumped in at 7:20 a.m., police said. Seeing this, two civilians and Capt. Gary Messina, jumped into the chilly water to try to save him. Messina has been in the department for more than 30 years and currently works in a Manhattan detective bureau, police said.

The NYPD harbor unit then responded and pulled all four people onto the boat, taking them to the pier at 34th Street. The three Good Samaritans received medical attention at the scene, police said. The man who jumped, who is in his 40s, was taken to Bellevue Hospital Center in stable condition for treatment and evaluation, police said.

Off-Duty NYPD Captain Helps Rescue Man From River | Officer.com

Related:

Video Shows Officers Save Suicidal Woman
June 3, 2016 - Newly released body camera video shows the moment when Albuquerque police officers grabbed a woman as she attempted to jump off of a bridge Tuesday.
The video shows Officer Brandi Madrid speaking to the woman, who officials say was contemplating suicide on the Paseo Del Norte overpass near Jefferson, according to KOAT-TV.

As Madrid tries to talk the woman off the ledge to get her help, the woman suddenly bolts and tries to jump. "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! Come on come on! Stay still! It's OK! It's OK!" Officer John Cervantes is heard saying to the woman as he grabs and pulls her to safety.

Just two days earlier, Madrid was involved in a similar situation as a man threaten to jump off the overpass at Wyoming onto Interstate I-40. She spoke with the man and convinced him to climb back over the fence to safety.

Video Shows Officers Save Suicidal Woman | Officer.com

Last edited:
What led to this topic was a news headline about Russian activists taking over cities in the Ukraine. I was thinking there is no doubt that Russia can easily take the Ukraine, but to discourage aggression and promote peace in the future Russian has to pay a high price, the higher price the better. For that to happen the Ukraine needs dedicated military men, men of honor. Where will they get such people? It is easy to say I will fight to the death, but when it comes down to it, it is a hard thing to do. The sides are so militarily mismatched that to resist the Russians is virtually suicide, but if they don’t give their lives the Ukraine has no chance at all.

Obama should be working feverishly in secret helping the Ukrainians prepare to make the Russian pay a very heavy price. He should be providing them with weapons and training, especially anti-tank weapons and tactics. But in the end it will come down to how much value their fighting men place on their honor. To a military man his honor is the most important thing in his life. He places more value on it than he does his life. In Vietnam, we had POWs that that were tortured to death by the Communist because they refused to surrender their honor.

Russia can barely hold on economically as it is.. expanding to a country filled with people who hate the Russian government probably wouldn't be in their best interest. Crimea wasn't because of their desire to have Ukraine as a whole.

Forum List

Back