Homework: Is There A Political View?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The on-line NYC teacher's union, the UFT, published this view of student assignments.

See if you agree.

Following that is what I would consider a political liberal's plan: no homework at all....pretty much the educational version of 'if it feels go, do it.'

Well, in this case, you don't feel like it...don't do it.

1. "A common-sense approach to homework

2. “Homework should be meaningful and used to reinforce daily lessons,” ...before you assign a homework task, the students need to have a good grasp of the subject matter.” ... giving students the opportunity to practice something they’ve already learned in class.

3. A general rule of thumb recommended by the national PTA is that students should receive 10 minutes of homework per grade level — 10 minutes per night in 1st grade, 20 minutes in 2nd grade and so on.... a quick and short review of the day,” “Leave time for kids to be kids!”

Townsend Harris HS in Flushing, for example, made headlines last year when it adopted a policy prohibiting homework assignments in certain subjects on certain days of the week.

4. “If your students can’t do your homework assignment independently, then don’t assign it,” advises Carrie Campis-Dugan, a teacher at PS 180 in Harlem.

You can also let your students know that they can get support over the phone from Dial-A-Teacher, the UFT’s homework helpline, at 1-212-777-3380.

5. “Do not give more homework than you are willing to mark and return in a reasonable amount of time,” .... You may decide to check that homework is completed every day but review it in depth only a few times a week.

Or, you may decide — like some teachers — to dispense with homework altogether.

“We read ‘Rethinking Homework’ [an article by noted education researcher Alfie Kohn] as a staff, thankfully,” says Liz Wanttaja, a teacher at the East Village Community School. “Homework is given as an option to do outside of school in the upper grades, but our little ones are encouraged to be kids.” A common-sense approach to homework United Federation of Teachers

Seems that the principal of PS 116 took that last item to heart:

6. The elementary school students of P.S. 116 on East 33rd Street don’t have to worry about the drudgery of homework anymore — their teachers have simply stopped assigning it.

Instead, teachers are encouraging students to spend more quality time with family and reading books,reported DNAInfo.com on Thursday.

7. ... the negative effects of homework have been well established,” wrote the school’s principal, Jane Hsu, in a letter to parents last month.

a. ... negative effects? According to Hsu, they include “children’s frustration and exhaustion, lack of time for other activities and family time and, sadly for many, loss of interest in learning.”

8. ....some parents are displeased by the new policy — so displeased they may even take their kids out of the school.

... Daniel Tasman, whose daughter is a second-grader at the school....said .... the no homework policy had pushed him over the edge.

“I think they should have homework – some of it is about discipline,” Tasman told DNAInfo.com

9. ....school officials said the decision to do away with homework came about after a committee did some research and found “no link between elementary school homework and success in school.”

10. Principal Hsu defended the policy, saying the school was excited to be “redefining the landscape of homework.”

“We look forward to seeing the positive impact our newly-designed homework options will have on our students and their families,” ... Kips Bay NYC elementary school P.S. 116 does away with homework - am New York

Once school is over for the day, so should school work...be over...

I study every day.

Another difference between us.

So....perhaps it comes down to folks deciding whether, educationally, they'd want their children to turn out more like you, or more like a paragon of educational excellence.....moi.

I study every day.

So....perhaps it comes down to folks deciding whether, educationally, they'd want their children to turn out more like you, or more like a paragon of educational excellence.....moi.
I never said that learning stops and starts at the school house door...That is the weakness you exude...

And we wonder why we have lost our top rating in the world's educational standing!

1.The students need more practice than the school day allows for subjects.

2.Parents should be interested in what the students are learning and engage them in discussions about it at home.

3. Students should be learning how to write reports. This requires stages and extra work that they need to do at home.

4. The time lost from homework at home does not always result in meaningful family time. Most likely, it results in games with their phones or watching television.

5. If your child is having trouble at school with subjects, parents can see it in their homework, help and possibly meet with the teacher to discuss the problem. An informed parent is one that is proactive. You cannot be proactive if you wait for a grade card to see that their is a problem.

And we wonder why we have lost our top rating in the world's educational standing!

2.Parents should be interested in what the students are learning and engage them in discussions about it at home.

3. Students should be learning how to write reports. This requires stages and extra work that they need to do at home.

4. The time lost from homework at home does not always result in meaningful family time. Most likely, it results in games with their phones or watching television.

5. If your child is having trouble at school with subjects, parents can see it in their homework, help and possibly meet with the teacher to discuss the problem. An informed parent is one that is proactive. You cannot be proactive if you wait for a grade card to see that their is a problem.
Finland and South Korea are 2 of the best performing countries in the world when it comes to education.

In Finland kids have no homework, in South Korea they have tons of homework. And there they both sit at the top of most lists.

So... :dunno:

The father of a 2nd grader said the no homework policy had "pushed him over the edge?" Are you kidding me? For a 2nd grader?

I can understand that. The primary grades are building a foundation and extremely important. My son went to a private school in second grade and was hammered each night. It was well worth the time and effort. I'll never forget his 4 page typed written astronomy test in 2nd grade!

However, that was not the norm. As a primary teacher, I believe that children and parents are missing out of valuable experiences if homework is not assigned. What is your child doing in school? Aren't you interested?

Aren't you glad teachers don't feel that way? We'd have a nation of really bad teachers. In any profession, for excellence is school for students, the time and effort that is put into your work that makes the difference.

Aren't you glad teachers don't feel that way? We'd have a nation of really bad teachers. In any profession, for excellence is school for students, the time and effort that is put into your work that makes the difference.
They still give homework, but now provide time to do it during school...my kid never brings any home, because he does it at school...

I study every day.

I never said that learning stops and starts at the school house door...That is the weakness you exude...

'exude' !!!!

'exude'!!!

Loookkkkaaa you!!!!!

The father of a 2nd grader said the no homework policy had "pushed him over the edge?" Are you kidding me? For a 2nd grader?
I have gone over homework and extended the school day for each of my grandchildren starting in Kdg. It didn't have to be terrible, it was fun.

All are A students and sport enthusiasts, all excel at baseball and basketball. AP and Honor classes for the High School and Middle School students, taking the ACT in middle school for gifted student (of course they aren't gifted, but I let them think they are, lol) Their sense of humor is great!

Nothing was unusual about these kids, just normal children growing into nice young men with lots of friends over at the house a lot. They will have a bright future. Education was the top priority in their home as it should be in any home.

They still give homework, but now provide time to do it during school...my kid never brings any home, because he does it at school...

That always irritates me. If they are doing their homework at school, what time is it? School time is educational time and obviously the school is filling their time with study halls, or the proverbial, "20 minute lesson in a 45 minute block." The teachers should be teaching. I can see the teachers giving them s SHORT time to get started with work, so they can help with problems, but not the entire assignment!

I have gone over homework and extended the school day for each of my grandchildren starting in Kdg. It didn't have to be terrible, it was fun.

All are A students and sport enthusiasts, all excel at baseball and basketball. AP and Honor classes for the High School and Middle School students, taking the ACT in middle school for gifted student (of course they aren't gifted, but I let them think they are, lol) Their sense of humor is great!

Nothing was unusual about these kids, just normal children growing into nice young men with lots of friends over at the house a lot. They will have a bright future. Education was the top priority in their home as it should be in any home.

I study every day.

'exude' !!!!

'exude'!!!

Loookkkkaaa you!!!!!
In your case it's more like a Catarrhal exuding...

Finland and South Korea are 2 of the best performing countries in the world when it comes to education.

In Finland kids have no homework, in South Korea they have tons of homework. And there they both sit at the top of most lists.

True, and interesting about Finland....but the real difference is the teachers....

"In Finland all new teachers must have a master's degree.... Finland also limits the supply of teacher-training places to demand. ... teaching is a high-status profession (because it is fiercely competitive) and there are generous funds for each trainee teacher (because there are few of them).

....groups of teachers visit each others' classrooms and plan lessons together. In Finland, they get an afternoon off a week for this."

But the real diff is how they catch students who are about to fail...
"...once pupils and schools start to fail. The top performers intervene early and often. Finland has more special-education teachers devoted to laggards than anyone else—as many as one teacher in seven in some schools. In any given year, a third of pupils get one-on-one remedial lessons."
Oct 18th 2007
From The Economist print edition
Chen Chow What works in education the lessons according to McKinsey

Of course, none of this is necessary in South Korea.....

...all of the students are simply naturally brilliant.

True, and interesting about Finland....but the real difference is the teachers....

"In Finland all new teachers must have a master's degree.... Finland also limits the supply of teacher-training places to demand. ... teaching is a high-status profession (because it is fiercely competitive) and there are generous funds for each trainee teacher (because there are few of them).

....groups of teachers visit each others' classrooms and plan lessons together. In Finland, they get an afternoon off a week for this."

But the real diff is how they catch students who are about to fail...
"...once pupils and schools start to fail. The top performers intervene early and often. Finland has more special-education teachers devoted to laggards than anyone else—as many as one teacher in seven in some schools. In any given year, a third of pupils get one-on-one remedial lessons."
Oct 18th 2007
From The Economist print edition
Chen Chow What works in education the lessons according to McKinsey

Of course, none of this is necessary in South Korea.....

...all of the students are simply naturally brilliant.
up to the 38th parallel.....

"They still give homework, but now provide time to do it during school."

The early winner in the category of "Unintentional Humor"....

....and I was starting to have hope for you after 'exude.'

"They still give homework, but now provide time to do it during school."

The early winner in the category of "Unintentional Humor"....

....and I was starting to have hope for you after 'exude.'
I enjoy banter with the well educated............dead pan................

Forum List

Back