Homeland...Picking a Nit

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I guess there have been Homeland threads before. The show evolves year after year, so the viewership shrinks, I think. This is probably the last year for it. This year it seems less topically political - not really slinging arrows at any particular current U.S. politicians, for now.

But if you are watching, I want to know when they are going to address the fact that Carrie Matheson has no visible means of support. She has no job, and no income. She has no house or apartment. She and her daughter are sort-of living with her sister and her husband, although she has threatened to leave a few times in the current season. She is said to have maxed out all her credit cards. She has been shown getting medical treatment for her rather colorful mental issues. How does this happen with no job and no health insurance? How does her kid have anything at all, most poignantly, health insurance?

She is fighting for custody of her kid. How could they even have a court appearance without the CYS people saying, "How do you intend to support yourself, lady?"

How does she own a car and put gas in it, and insure it? How does she eat? Who does the laundry?

Now she is going to Russia to help the State Department/CIA track down some Russian. How did she finance the airfare, hotel room, etc.? How will she get paid? Consultant? She expects to be there for a week or so.

At what point can the viewer ask, WTF? Let's at least make some concession to the realities of life.

Since she is apparently persona non grata with her former agency, where would she even begin to search for a fucking job? Who would hire her?

Am I being a reasonable viewer?

Don't worry about it.

People have been wondering for over half a century what Ozzie Nelson, (of Ozzie and Harriet fame), did for a living.

Scriptwriters have been lazy for at least that long

Not sure why she gets involved the way she does other than she's crazy.

Myself, I'd expect to be compensated big time for that kind of effort.

The first seasons of Homeland were enjoyable because the situations retained a trace of credibility and were tolerably fantastic. But it seems the writers either have graduated to methamphetamine or they think their audience is largely moronic, or both. Tonight's episode couldn't be more ridiculous if they had Carrie whip off her sweater, sprout wings, and fly back from Russia.

Too much is too much. I will watch it next week but I won't look forward to it.

Not sure why she gets involved the way she does other than she's crazy.

Myself, I'd expect to be compensated big time for that kind of effort.
Clair Danes' performances are exceptionally realistic. I seriously wonder if she really has a history of bi-polar disorder and is able to temporarily revert by controlling her medication input. It's either that or she is an incredibly good actress.

[...]

Am I being a reasonable viewer?
More than reasonable.

The damn thing is becoming as childishly absurd as a Superman series. In just few episodes what started out as an enjoyable show has traveled from the ridiculous to the sublime.

They need to shit-can those writers.

Forum List

Back