Hollywood Is Taking Beating At Box Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
LuvRPgrl said:
Well, PR didnt invent the "ignore" function, nor decide how it works. If he responds to you off handidly through another poster, nothing wrong with that. Im sure he will wind up reading some of your stuff though, cuz others do quote you.

So, anyways clay, what issues do you fall on the conservative side on?

Personally, I have only put one person on ignore my entire life, even though some have suggested I put certain people on. But since this person is a moddy, and is trying to push my buttons and can ban me, and would LOVE to, I just cant respond to her/him anymore. Especiallly since it doesnt appear the rule that moddies should be held to a higher standard and are not allowed to flame posters AT ALL, is not being enforced.
Him putting me on ignore is just a feeble attempt at trying to make me give up, because I think he'll never read what I have to say. I know full well what I say will be quoted, and I wouldn't doubt if he puts me on and off ignore to read what I say anyways. The point is, this is just another one of his tactics to further run away from the original point.
Step one was to bitch about the word "hate."
Step two was to criticize my grammatical explanation as Clinton-esque.
Step three was to call me a liberal 87 times over.
Step four was ignoring me.
Step five, where we're at right now, is indirectly lobbing insults. You've gotta love someone who can't even directly address the person they're criticizing.

He thinks he's on to some great conspiracy with me, when in reality I have very little problem getting along with 90% of this board.

As for conservative issues, as an example, I believe in personal financial responsibility. While I think that welfare could be revamped to serve a useful function, it's currently a complete mess. I would definitely institute a term limit on how long you could receive aid, and probably (in my own ideal little world) have to have a "qualifying life event" to be able to receive it. If you're lazy, I couldn't give two shits less about you financially. I think never-ending welfare is a horrible, horrible thing. I don't know if you would consider that a conservative view or not, but it's definitely not a liberal view.

Pale Rider said:
Keep pumping out trash like barebutt mountain and go broke, or actually make a movie that the majority might pay to see, and survive.

The other day on one of the Fox news programs, they were talking about "Brokeback Mountain". The consensus of the group was that probably 14 people would go see it (a financial disaster), but it would be nominated and win the Oscar for best picture of the year. Like you, Pale, I go to the movies to see a good story, so I won't be giving Hollywood any of my money to see "a great gay love story" (as it's being hyped).

Excerpts from an article with statistics on this year in Hollywood.

"Sith" Happens at 2005 Box Office By Joal Ryan
1 hour, 9 minutes ago

Hollywood suffered an off year at the box office. George Lucas did not.
Lucas' Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith, charting the death of Anakin Skywalker and the birth of Darth Vader, was 2005's top-grossing movie, tapping loyalists for $380.3 million, according to the box-office tracking firm Exhibitor Relations.

The film was the only $300 million-plus grosser in a year in which, Exhibitor Relations said, overall movie attendance fell about 7 percent, and ticket sales dipped about 5 percent.

Sith, ostensibly the final chapter in the Skywalker saga, seemed unaffected by the bad box-office vibes. It now stands seventh among the all-time box-office champs, per the stats at BoxOfficeMojo.com.

With Sith leading the way, Hollywood made a lot of money ($8.9 billion) and sold a lot of tickets (1.4 billion) in 2005, per Exhibitor Relations. It just didn't make as much money ($9.4 billion) or sell as many tickets (1.5 billion) as it did in 2004.

Exacerbating the angina among the executive suite set are stats like these: lowest yearly gross since 2001; lowest attendance since 1997; worst ever opening for a Jim Carrey comedy since Ace Ventura: Pet Detective made him a star.

Other factoids from the box office year that was, according to stats from Exhibitor Relations and BoxOfficeMojo.com:

The $100 million Fun with Dick and Jane, the offending Carrey comedy, made $64.6 million through New Year's Day weekend, and couldn't crack the top 30.

The $200 million King Kong made $175.6 million through New Year's day weekend, and couldn't crack the top 10. It finished 11th, even as two other holiday releases, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ($277.1 million) and The Chronicles of Narnia ($225.7 million), quickly settled into second and fourth place, respectively.

The penguin-populated Madagascar (eighth place, $193.1 million) was the top-grossing animated film; the penguin-populated March of the Penguins (24th place, $77.4 million) was the top-grossing documentary.
In retrospect, perhaps Martin Short's Jiminy Glick in Lalawood ($36,039) could have used from some penguins.

The $130 million-ish Kingdom of Heaven ($47.4 million) and the $120 million-ish The Island ($35.8 million) didn't have penguins, but they did have overseas audiences ($163.6 million and $124.5 million, respectively).
Neither penguins, nor international markets, could save the $130 million disaster Stealth ($31.7 million).

The $5.5 million Diary of a Mad Black Woman ($50.6 million) made just about every studio production look bad.

Chicken Little (14th place, $132.3 million), the top-grossing G-rated film, made about $1.6 million for every bad review counted by RottenTomatoes.com.

Narnia was the top-grossing PG-rated film; Sith, the top-grossing PG-13 film; and Wedding Crashers (fifth place, $209.2 million), the top-grossing R-rated film.

Here's a complete look at 2005's top 10 moneymakers, according to figures compiled by Exhibitor Relations:

1. Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith, $380.3 million
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, $277.1 million
3. War of the Worlds, $234.3 million
4. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, $225.7 million
5. Wedding Crashers, $209.2 million
6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, $206.5 million
7. Batman Begins, $205.3 million
8. Madagascar, $193.1 million
9. Mr. & Mrs. Smith, $186.3 million
10. Hitch, $177.6 million

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060104/en_movies_eo/18072

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Abbey Normal said:
Here's a complete look at 2005's top 10 moneymakers, according to figures compiled by Exhibitor Relations:

1. Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith, $380.3 million
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, $277.1 million
3. War of the Worlds, $234.3 million
4. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, $225.7 million
5. Wedding Crashers, $209.2 million
6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, $206.5 million
7. Batman Begins, $205.3 million
8. Madagascar, $193.1 million
9. Mr. & Mrs. Smith, $186.3 million
10. Hitch, $177.6 million

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060104/en_movies_eo/18072

And it's not surprizing to me at all that numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4, are all movies the whole family can go and watch.

Adam's Apple said:
The other day on one of the Fox news programs, they were talking about "Brokeback Mountain". The consensus of the group was that probably 14 people would go see it (a financial disaster), but it would be nominated and win the Oscar for best picture of the year. Like you, Pale, I go to the movies to see a good story, so I won't be giving Hollywood any of my money to see "a great gay love story" (as it's being hyped).

I heard something today similiar on talk radio. That the opening attendence was below pathetic.

HEY HOLLYWIRED... DOES THAT TELL YOU ANYTHING???!!!

Let me help you out... "don't make faggot movies about butt fucking sheep herders".

LuvRPgrl said:
So, anyways clay, what issues do you fall on the conservative side on?

Good luck on that one LRP... I think you're opening a big can of worms there. Because it's pretty evident that when he can't win, or back pedal himself out of something, he'll drag it out with endless pscho-babble until pigs fly. Not worth the effort to debate him my friend. It's nonsense.

Pale Rider said:
Good luck on that one LRP... I think you're opening a big can of worms there. Because it's pretty evident that when he can't win, or back pedal himself out of something, he'll drag it out with endless pscho-babble until pigs fly. Not worth the effort to debate him my friend. It's nonsense.
Man he is OBSESSED with me! This is the worst ignoring I've ever seen. It's sad when a couple of words get you that upset.

Wait til the really big 4-letter words come out... Tis what happens when you disagree, however.

Shattered said:
Oh yeah.. :spank3: My bad.

No... you on ignore too now. And the only four letter word I can think of for you starts with a "c"... :finger:

I would suggest you two angels put me on ignore too.

Pale Rider said:
No... you on ignore too now. And the only four letter word I can think of for you starts with a "c"... :finger:

Is quoting, and posting to someone your idea of ignoring?

"c"...? Is that a Christian word?

Pale Rider said:

I would suggest you two angels put me on ignore too.

Ah yes, we've reached step 6!

Step 6: After tossing a handful of insults, he now tries to slip in that we should put him on ignore. That way, he can post whatever bullshit he wants and not have to worry about backing it up. Hey, if you don't want anyone to disagree with you, just post that in the thread. "Here's something I have to say, please don't disagree because I lack the capacity to civilly debate it with you. I don't have enough self control not to go off on a tangent calling you a liberal, or about how I've figured out whatever I've convinced myself you're up to. I'd hate to have to format some words to size 2495, or heaven forbid, level the hammer of justice and put you on ignore. You don't want that. It'll hurt your feelings. Trust me."

The ClayTaurus said:

Step 6: After tossing a handful of insults, he now tries to slip in that we should put him on ignore. That way, he can post whatever bullshit he wants and not have to worry about backing it up. Hey, if you don't want anyone to disagree with you, just post that in the thread. "Here's something I have to say, please don't disagree because I lack the capacity to civilly debate it with you. I don't have enough self control not to go off on a tangent calling you a liberal, or about how I've figured out whatever I've convinced myself you're up to. I'd hate to have to format some words to size 2495, or heaven forbid, level the hammer of justice and put you on ignore. You don't want that. It'll hurt your feelings. Trust me."

Steps 6 and 7 go hand in hand.. The posts here are followed by profanity laden PM's...

The ClayTaurus said:

Hey. It's better than your m.o.

1. Come on the board and be an insane lib.
2. Get your ass kicked repeatedly.
3. Pretend your some kind of moderate and be buddy buddy with everyone
4. insert your agenda here and there in little comments without actually taking an argument head on. :dev3:

rtwngAvngr said:
Hey. It's better than your m.o.

1. Come on the board and be an insane lib.
2. Get your ass kicked repeatedly.
3. Pretend your some kind of moderate and be buddy buddy with everyone
4. insert your agenda here and there in little comments without actually taking an argument head on. :dev3:

Wow. More than 2 lines in one post from you, do you have a hernia now?

The ClayTaurus said:
Is it difficult being the lone beacon of perfection in an otherwise imperfect world?

Yes. Actually it is. It's a lonely road, but someone has to walk it.

Is it frustrating having to shut the hell up about your actual beliefs? Don't you feel slimy being so two faced?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back