Hollywood Is Taking Beating At Box Office

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 007, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,925
    Gee.... I wonder if it has anything to do with making movies like the faggot propaganda trash flick BareButt Mountain?

Here's to ya' hollywierd... :finger3: Couldn't happen to a worse bunch of over indulgent, over paid, self consumed, liberal trash. Hollywood and filthy, immoral crowd that inhabits it shouldn't be an example to anyone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,925
    The fall of Hollywood?​

OK, Sith is now the tenth highest grossing film of all time, and probably headed toward number seven. But Wall Street is bearish on film stocks; on Monday Dreamworks shares fell more than 13%. The big fear is that DVD sales are falling, as Shrek 2 bombed in this market. Hollywood box office has been down for nineteen weeks out of twenty, and believe me Harry Potter won't do Johnny Depp and Tim Burton any favors. Daniel Gross opined that Hollywood is the next Detroit. Others see a big mystery in falling receipts. Yet others blame blue-state bigotry. I will offer a few more fundamental hypotheses:

1. Hollywood cannot control its marketing costs or star salaries. The growing importance of DVDs increases the "needle in the haystack" problem for any single film and thus locks studios into more marketing, creating a vicious spiral.

2. TV is now so much better, and offers artists greater creative freedom. Why watch movies?

3. The Internet is outcompeting cinema, whether at the multiplex or on DVD.

4. Big TV screens are keeping people at home, which lowers box office receipts. This also hurts the long-term prospects of many DVDs.

5. The demand for DVDs has fallen because movie lovers have completed their core collections, just as the demands for classical CDs have fallen.

5. The demand for DVDs was due to fall in any case. Forget the collectors, you buy DVDs to have a stock on hand so you don't have to run out to the video store on short notice. Now everyone has a stock. Stocks must be replenished every now and then, but there is no longer a large new cohort simultaneously building up a stock from scratch.

The bottom line: These trends do not appear reversible in the short run. It is not just that this year's movies mostly stink.

http://www.marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2005/07/the_fall_of_the.html

3. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    I like to see some movies in theaters first, like the new Harry Potter movie. What better way to see Harry battle a giant Hungarian horntail dragon or Voldemort than on the big screen?

But because one ticket after matinee hours is $8.50 (so total $17), and then popcorn and pop is another $10-15, Tim and I prefer to wait until the DVD comes out on most movies, then rent it first, and if we like it, we buy it.

$17 for tickets + $14(avg) popcorn & pop = $31
    vs.
    $3 for rental + $12 to buy pre-viewed copy from blockbuster + $5 for 12pk pop and jar of popcorn seeds = $20

For us, its just better budgeting, and less likely to waste our time and money on a movie that might suck. But we do go see movies as a way to get out of the house in the winter.

I think another problem is movie theaters offering only junkfood for snacks. Honestly, I prefer veggies & dip or mixed nuts to popcorn most times. And, theaters charge $3.50+ for a tiny bottle of water that you can't refill.

4. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Last weekend's figures showed that Narnia and Kong were neck and neck around the 30 million dollar mark, with Kong a smidge higher. Pretty nice for Narnia, since it has been out for three weeks, competing against Kong's opening weekend.

Btw, we tried to see Narnia today, but the 3 o'clock showing we came to see was sold out. Kong wasn't sold out all day.

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Isn't the biggest demographic group for movie attendees males from the age of 15 to 34?

The new gaming systems and the internet must be cutting into that market.

Also the G or PG rated movies seem to be the biggest money makers, wouldn't it make sense for the moive industry to offer more of those movies if they wanted to gain sales?

6. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

Theres your answer right there. Guys arent flocking to see dudes get f'ed in the A. All these gay themed flicks or movies with random gay guys that dont add to the plot turn a heterosexual males stomach. Even as the propaganda spews forth this "gay bashing" mentality, hetero guys do not like gay sex thrown in there face and they damn sure arent going to pay to watch it. Hollywood's problem is that they arent reaching their core audience.

7. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Makes perfect sense.

8. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,925
    There's the million dollar question. Why DON'T they make more family, or upstanding moral movies? Answer: they're too damned caught up in furthering their own perverted agenda. It appears hollywierd is of the opinion, "we're going to have to watch what THEY want us to watch, or nothing at all". Looks like more and more people are chosing nothing at all.

People are saying "fuck hollywierd" with their money. The movies coming out of that town are full of filthy language, sex, violence, perversion, and the newest trend, smoking. People know that they can make an impact on a business by boycotting, and that's what's happening.

9. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    this makes sense. The last movie i saw in theaters, was Harry Potter on 11/18. Since then, I have no desire to see much else. I am just not motivated to see more movies in theaters because the previews tend to speak for the movie itself, though not all the time. Plus the cost of going to the theater vs renting then buying it.

Besides, I feel the way hollywood is going with their selection of movies to choose from, we are better off waiting until the dvd's come out, so we don't waste $30+ on seeing a movie that sucks.

And honestly, I am more likely to go see a movie from Disney/Pixar or Dreamworks animations, than say something like Wolf Creek.

unless the previews (theater & tv) catch my interest, or the movie is about something I am already interested in, I am unlikely to see it.

10. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Honestly, this is the first time in awhile that there are about 10 movies I want to see. For the past 7 or 8 months, the industry has done very little to illicit much interest from me. I just saw "Fun with Dick and Jane" today with my family. Pretty funny, IMO. My parents saw Syrianna and loved it, which suprised me since they're both registered Repub's and I've seen some of you bash the shit out of it here.

I also wanna see King Kong
    Chronic (WHAT!) les of Narnia
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    The Producers
    Aeon Flux
    Munich
    Wolf Creek
    and a couple others I can't remember...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.