Hobby Lobby Invested in Abortion and Contraception Products

Straight from Mother Jones. I don't think so. Those companies they invested in don't specialize in just making abortifacients. They make a wide array of drugs that the Hobby Lobby plan covers.

Thread fail. Citing Mother Jones and touting an opinion piece was your first mistake.

forbes isnt motherjones fatty

Guess you didn't read the article.

That's OK. Most didn't.

It was an opinion piece in Forbes based on a report in Mother Jones.

Which included reference links to the actual 401K information.

Why did you leave that out?

You know what I find odd here, that liberals are mad at who Hobby Lobby invests their money in. You know, I don't think it is your right to tell them who they can and can't invest their money in. Besides, what do liberals know of investments, they support a government who foolishly invests taxpayer money on pro-abortion causes and non-profits like Planned Parenthood.

The entire issue liberals have with this is hypocritical, really.

Last edited:
You know what I find odd here, that liberals are mad at who Hobby Lobby invests their money in. You know, I don't think it is your right to tell them who they can and can't invest their money in. Besides, what do liberals know of investments, they support a government who foolishly invests taxpayer money on pro-abortion causes and non-profits like Planned Parenthood.

Are you defending them making money on immoral behavior while defending them being against that same immoral behavior?

The Irony meter just pulled the pin on a grenade and took the hypocrisy meter out with it :lol:

It's quoted and verified by Forbes. ANd of course you didn't click on the link to the IRS returns either, now did you?

They knew what those pharmas were making and they kept the stock anyway.

Post fail, bub.

Isn't ignorance wonderful? What is quoted and verified by Forbes, is absolutely true, but what they made you believe is absolutely false. Hobby Lobby 401K plans do not belong to hobby lobby, they belong to the individual employees. Which means, in short, that your entire argument is pure BS.

The people that administer the Hobby Lobby employees' 401K retirement plans have a fiduciary duty to offer the best investment options possible for employees to choose from. Nor, does Hobby Lobby management attempt to impose their religious values on their employees' investment choices in their individual retirement plans. Once the money is credited to the individual account, it belongs to the employee, and how that employee decides to invest that money is his/her business.

Don't you loons ever get tired of being played?

Now who might that be?

Was Hobby Lobby forced into accepting a plan that was not of their choosing?

Don't you believe company owners should take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for their corporate decisions?

I'll be awaiting your answer as to who made the executive decision to set up their employee plans.

A 401K is not a plan, anymore than an IRA is a plan. Each worker has a 401K as part of their employment compensation. Most companies offer a matching amount, up to a limit, to the amount that the individual employee decides to invest. The 401K account belongs to the employee, and not to Hobby Lobby.

The 401K manager might be inhouse, or most likely is a contract manager with experience in investing. Once Hobby Lobby deposits their matching share and the employee share into the account, the money is no longer Hobby Lobby's anymore than when they deposit the employees paycheck in individual accounts at a bank.

Most 401K managers usually offer three types of investment to the employee. A savings option, a government securities option , and/or a mutual fund account. The employee can pick one, two, or all three, and determine how much of his investment goes into each. This manager has a fiduciary requirement to offer the best investment vehicles to the employees, and has no business imposing his/her religious values on that selection.

Your major mistake is assuming those 401K accounts belong to Hobby Lobby. They don't.

Hobby lobby isn't the ones investing money. Their employees are. Jesus you guys have no clue how this works

tapatalk post

And Hobby Lobby wasn't the ones who would have used the birth control products. Their employees could have.

Their employees can also use their paycheck to pay for an abortion. Why is Hobby Lobby willing to fund abortions in that case?

Hobby Lobby would not be funding abortions because the money spent does not belong to Hobby Lobby. On the other hand, it would be Hobby Lobby's money that paid for health insurance that would fund abortion.

Isn't ignorance wonderful? What is quoted and verified by Forbes, is absolutely true, but what they made you believe is absolutely false. Hobby Lobby 401K plans do not belong to hobby lobby, they belong to the individual employees. Which means, in short, that your entire argument is pure BS.

The people that administer the Hobby Lobby employees' 401K retirement plans have a fiduciary duty to offer the best investment options possible for employees to choose from. Nor, does Hobby Lobby management attempt to impose their religious values on their employees' investment choices in their individual retirement plans. Once the money is credited to the individual account, it belongs to the employee, and how that employee decides to invest that money is his/her business.

Now who might that be?

Don't you believe company owners should take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for their corporate decisions?

I'll be awaiting your answer as to who made the executive decision to set up their employee plans.

A 401K is not a plan, anymore than an IRA is a plan. Each worker has a 401K as part of their employment compensation. Most companies offer a matching amount, up to a limit, to the amount that the individual employee decides to invest. The 401K account belongs to the employee, and not to Hobby Lobby.

The 401K manager might be inhouse, or most likely is a contract manager with experience in investing. Once Hobby Lobby deposits their matching share and the employee share into the account, the money is no longer Hobby Lobby's anymore than when they deposit the employees paycheck in individual accounts at a bank.

Most 401K managers usually offer three types of investment to the employee. A savings option, a government securities option , and/or a mutual fund account. The employee can pick one, two, or all three, and determine how much of his investment goes into each. This manager has a fiduciary requirement to offer the best investment vehicles to the employees, and has no business imposing his/her religious values on that selection.

Your major mistake is assuming those 401K accounts belong to Hobby Lobby. They don't.

And therein lies Hobby Lobby's hypocrisy.

Hobby Lobby has no qualms about spending their money so their employees can choose to invest in birth control products; but they fought all the way to the US Supreme to not have to spend their money so their employees can choose to get those same birth control products through their insurance company.

Hobby lobby isn't the ones investing money. Their employees are. Jesus you guys have no clue how this works

tapatalk post

And Hobby Lobby wasn't the ones who would have used the birth control products. Their employees could have.

Their employees can also use their paycheck to pay for an abortion. Why is Hobby Lobby willing to fund abortions in that case?

They now have an open door to discriminate against anyone who they think might be using birth control. Or who they think might be something other than far right butthead Baptist.
This is the abuse that comes from such ridiculous SCOTUS rulings. It empowers them.

Years ago when I still lived in Utah I used to see ads in the classifieds run by the Mormon church. They clearly stated in every ad that the applicant had to be "Temple Eligible", baptized in the LDS Church and prove they were active within their local stake house. I asked an attorney friend in D.C. how they could get away with that and he said, "Because they can. Plumbers, electricians, teachers, whomever they are interviewing don't have the ways and means to sue them".

Hobby Lobby would not be funding abortions because the money spent does not belong to Hobby Lobby. On the other hand, it would be Hobby Lobby's money that paid for health insurance that would fund abortion.

But Hobby Lobby is just fine with investing in abortions?? :cuckoo:

Now who might that be?

Fail.

I asked WHO in Hobby Lobby is responsible for CHOOSING and you give me a lecture on 401(k) plans out of some benefits brochure I can pick up at Walmart.

I just finished the 401(k) printed collateral for the carpenter's union in one of our more populous states. Save me your bullshit lecture.

Do you think the Greens just put up a dart board and chose whichever plan they hit closest to bull's eye?

Answer the question.

Last edited:
Didn't take long to discover this bit of typical rightwing hypocrisy, as reported by Forbes:

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection - Forbes

Savings Incentive and Profit Sharing Plan for Employees of the Hobby Lobby Group

According to the Green family, interfering with an already fertilized egg is tantamount to abortion—an act unacceptable to the family and one they refuse to participate in no matter what the Affordable Care Act may require .

However, it turns out that the owners of Hobby Lobby do not appear to have any problem with profiting from the companies that manufacture the very products that so grievously offend their religious principles.

The following is a summation of the companies manufacturing these products that are held by the Hobby Lobby employee retirement plan, as set forth by Ms. Redden’s remarkable reporting:

These companies include Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, which makes Plan B and ParaGard, a copper IUD, and Actavis ACT +0.26%, which makes a generic version of Plan B and distributes Ella. Other holdings in the mutual funds selected by Hobby Lobby include Pfizer PFE +0.25%, the maker of Cytotec and Prostin E2, which are used to induce abortions; Bayer , which manufactures the hormonal IUDs Skyla and Mirena; AstraZeneca AZN +0.54%, which has an Indian subsidiary that manufactures Prostodin, Cerviprime, and Partocin, three drugs commonly used in abortions; and Forest Laboratories, which makes Cervidil, a drug used to induce abortions. Several funds in the Hobby Lobby retirement plan also invested in Aetna AET -0.49% and Humana, two health insurance companies that cover surgical abortions, abortion drugs, and emergency contraception in many of the health care policies they sell.

You loons lost

#dealwithit

Now who might that be?

Hobby Lobby has no qualms about spending their money so their employees can choose to invest in birth control products; but they fought all the way to the US Supreme to not have to spend their money so their employees can choose to get those same birth control products through their insurance company.

So, women have 16 choices instead of 20, and you're saying they're being hypocritical? What of Obamacare? It has robbed millions of men AND women of their right to choose and dictate their medical decisions. But oh, you'll be damned if a woman is denied hers. You have a very strange definition of what constitutes a choice. Therein lies YOUR hypocrisy, Faun.

So, women have 16 choices instead of 20, and you're saying they're being hypocritical? What of Obamacare? It has robbed millions of men AND women of their right to choose and dictate their medical decisions. But oh, you'll be damned if a woman is denied hers. You have a very strange definition of what constitutes a choice. Therein lies YOUR hypocrisy, Faun.

Quantity is irrelevant. It's hypocritical to pay for Hobby Lobby to pay for their employees to invest in abortion products in which they refuse to pay for their employees to use those same products.

Birth control pills prevent contraception. I can see a stance against abortion. But I don't understand those who are against the pill. One of the greatest modern miracles of our time. Preventing unwanted pregnancies isn't a bad thing. That being said, I side on the decision.

Birth control pills prevent contraception. I can see a stance against abortion. But I don't understand those who are against the pill. One of the greatest modern miracles of our time. Preventing unwanted pregnancies isn't a bad thing. That being said, I side on the decision.

They only refused to pay for abortion pills.....That's not contraceptive that's ending a life. Why is it liberals think women are just sluts that cant control their libido?

Quantity is irrelevant. It's hypocritical to pay for Hobby Lobby to pay for their employees to invest in abortion products in which they refuse to pay for their employees to use those same products.

Most 401k's are invested in mutual funds. A company that makes a product that you object to can be found in almost EVERY mutual fund. I call BS.

Hobby Lobby should have followed Obama's lead and invested their employees money in green energy companies that went bankrupt.

Most 401k's are invested in mutual funds. A company that makes a product that you object to can be found in almost EVERY mutual fund. I call BS.

this is absolutely true.

The far left is getting desperate.

They only refused to pay for abortion pills.....That's not contraceptive that's ending a life. Why is it liberals think women are just sluts that cant control their libido?

Its actually worse than that...They refused to pay for pills THEY BELIEVE cause abortions despite that not being the truth scientifically speaking of course. So not only do you have them refusing to pay based on religious beliefs but they are also refusing to pay based on not believing facts.

When someone can disregard reality and refuse to pay based on that then you have Wesley Snips situations where people can argue that even tho something is not true, we have to respect their made up thoughts on it.

Forum List

Back