Hmmm...I thought churches didn't have to worry about performing gay marriages...what about this...

Are you saying that someone going to Las Vegas to get married would not be legally married in their home state? Marriages are recognized across state lines. This business is engaging in the issuance of state marriage contracts.

By that rule my a gun permit in Virginia should be valid in New York city.

Does New York accept or reject recognition of the license based on gender?

>>>>

It bases it on who they feel like giving a weapons permit. Two people with equal records and identical prerequisites would be approved or denied on the whim of the NYPD.

THAT is violation of equal protection.

You moved the goalposts there Marty.

You didn't say that New York would be issuing the license. "By that rule my a gun permit in Virginia should be valid in New York city." That means that New York would recognize your Virginia permit and you wouldn't need one from New York. More similar to a Drivers License. New York recognizes Virginia's a Drivers License to operate a motor vehicle for out of state visitors and you only need to get a New York Drivers License if you change residency.

>>>>>

Are you saying that someone going to Las Vegas to get married would not be legally married in their home state? Marriages are recognized across state lines. This business is engaging in the issuance of state marriage contracts.

>>>>

It bases it on who they feel like giving a weapons permit. Two people with equal records and identical prerequisites would be approved or denied on the whim of the NYPD.

And if weapons permits were treated like marriage licenses, you might have a point, but they aren't. Why are you trying to bring unrelated topics into the discussion.

If my weapons permit were treated differently than yours is, you might have a point. It isn't, but my marriage license is.

If you married your 15 year old first cousin in Alabama, your license would be recognized in all 50 states. Mine isn't.

If we are talking about a supposed "right" we sure as hell are talking about the same thing.

While that may be the case, and I wish you luck with that, it is unrelated to the discussion. My weapons permit is not treated differently than yours... my marriage license is.

No churches should not be forced to do that which is against their beliefs, however it's very sad that they cannot accept everybody and feel the need to be exclusive, instead of letting God worry about who will or who will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

>>>>

You moved the goalposts there Marty.

You didn't say that New York would be issuing the license. "By that rule my a gun permit in Virginia should be valid in New York city." That means that New York would recognize your Virginia permit and you wouldn't need one from New York. More similar to a Drivers License. New York recognizes Virginia's a Drivers License to operate a motor vehicle for out of state visitors and you only need to get a New York Drivers License if you change residency.

>>>>>

They don't recognize it because they are gun controlling asshats. The same sentiment ends in both results.

Driver's licenses have to be recognized due to the "full faith and credit" clause of Article V, Section 1. The issuing State has decided the person can drive on public roads, and other states have to recognize that right. If a State issues CCW's, why doesn't that translate as well?

>>>>

And if weapons permits were treated like marriage licenses, you might have a point, but they aren't. Why are you trying to bring unrelated topics into the discussion.

If my weapons permit were treated differently than yours is, you might have a point. It isn't, but my marriage license is.

If you married your 15 year old first cousin in Alabama, your license would be recognized in all 50 states. Mine isn't.

If we are talking about a supposed "right" we sure as hell are talking about the same thing.

While that may be the case, and I wish you luck with that, it is unrelated to the discussion. My weapons permit is not treated differently than yours... my marriage license is.

Try bringing your weapon into NYC and see how that works for you.

>>>>

Try bringing your weapon into NYC and see how that works for you.

Again, irrelevant. If my weapons permit were treated differently than yours is state to state, you'd have a point. My marriage license actually is treated differently than yours. Is that okay with you?

What you want is rule by fiat, either judical or bureaucratic, the definition of big government.
Both parties are big government progressive organizations, marty, and have been for almost 90 years. That is never going to change unless an apocalyptic event sends us back to water and coal-oil energy sources.

The government isn't governing how they practice their religion, but how they run their business. You open a business, you adhere to the business laws of the locality.

They are a for profit business. They can hire someone to perform the ceremonies they have a personal religious objection to....or, they can become a church.

And again, where in the constitution does the government get the right to do this? You are not answering the question.

You keep saying things that are basically "just because" responses.

What makes you be the one who can force others adjust to your whims and desires? Especially since the service is 1) non-essential) and 2) easy to get from someone else.

where in the constitution does the government get the right to do this?

As was posted earlier the Commerce Clause of the Constitution gives the government the right to regulate commerce and stipulate that everyone must be treated equally by corporations.

If they deal in interstate commerce, you keep forgetting that part.

Hard;y surprising that someone with a gun fetish like yours would equate a simple permit to a marriage contract.

And again, where in the constitution does the government get the right to do this? You are not answering the question.

You keep saying things that are basically "just because" responses.

What makes you be the one who can force others adjust to your whims and desires? Especially since the service is 1) non-essential) and 2) easy to get from someone else.

where in the constitution does the government get the right to do this?

As was posted earlier the Commerce Clause of the Constitution gives the government the right to regulate commerce and stipulate that everyone must be treated equally by corporations.

Hard;y surprising that someone with a gun fetish like yours would equate a simple permit to a marriage contract.

A right, is a right, is a right.

And I don't even own a gun, what I own is a dedication to the constitution as written, and a desire to see my fellow citizens allowed what it protects for them.

And I don't even own a gun, what I own is a dedication to the constitution as written, and a desire to see my fellow citizens allowed what it protects for them.

So are you admitting that you just lied about having a gun permit?

Point being that an Amendment defining marriage as a man and a woman would absolutely curtail rights.

And be legal for doing so.

You got that right- an Amendment defining marriage as a man and a woman- or an Amendment legalizing slavery- would both be legal.

And both would curtail rights.

i used "my" instead of "a".

If you search back in my posts on guns I have repeatedly stated I do not own a firearm. A typo is not a lie.

My actual gun permit would be treated no differently than the one you lied about having. My actual marriage license is treated differently than yours. You're okay with that?

i used "my" instead of "a".

If you search back in my posts on guns I have repeatedly stated I do not own a firearm. A typo is not a lie.

This is the first and only time you have posted that to my knowledge.

What is a lie on your part is your "dedication to the constitution as written". Where have you advocated that slavery should still be in force, blacks should still be counted as 3/5 ths of a person in the census and only white men allowed to vote?

Where have you advocated that slavery should still be in force, blacks should still be counted as 3/5 ths of a person in the census and only white men allowed to vote?

The 13th Amendment, which is of course part of the Constitution, outlaws slavery. Article I Section 2 does not identify that blacks are to be counted as 3/5th's, it identities that all others are to be counted as 3/5th's if they are not a free person or bound in servitude (i.e. indentured servants).

Since the 13th outlawed slavery in the United States, then all person are freemen and therefore counted as a whole person.

>>>>

Last edited:
No churches should not be forced to do that which is against their beliefs, however it's very sad that they cannot accept everybody and feel the need to be exclusive, instead of letting God worry about who will or who will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
it wasn't a church, it's a for profit wedding chapel called the hitching post.

Does an Army Chaplain have to preach about how abortion is great is the Army orders him to?

Does a hospital chaplain have to preach about the wonderfulness of abortion if he works full time in a hospital?

Religion stays with pastors no matter where they practice it.

Does an Army Chaplain have to preach about how abortion is great is the Army orders him to?

Does a hospital chaplain have to preach about the wonderfulness of abortion if he works full time in a hospital?

They don't preach, they sell marriages. It's called the hitching post. It's a business not a church.

So they are a chapel with the purpose for just marrying people (like in Vegas)?

Sure, but if what the other poster says is true, then it is more like a business (a wedding chapel) than an actual church that performs sermons, etc. I'm quite sure that one of those marriage chapels does not meet up to the requirements to be considered a "church" and would therefore be a business for the public.

Forum List

Back