Hmmm...I thought churches didn't have to worry about performing gay marriages...what about this...

Are there religious gay people? I don't think I've ever met a religious gay person. I wonder why "marriage" is SO important to them. Isn't marriage (the ceremony part anyway), a religious ceremony? Joining two souls in "holy matrimony?" The rings have religious implications, as does the entire marriage ceremony.

That is what marriage has always meant to me, the joining of two souls in the eyes of the Lord/God. This is why I don't understand why the gays put up such a stink about "civil unions" because, in reality, if they aren't religious, then that is EXACTLY what a marriage is, a civil union, a contract between two human beings. If you aren't religious, then the "ceremony" should be of no consequence to you.

No churches should not be forced to do that which is against their beliefs, however it's very sad that they cannot accept everybody and feel the need to be exclusive, instead of letting God worry about who will or who will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
it wasn't a church, it's a for profit wedding chapel called the hitching post.
Does an Army Chaplain have to preach about how abortion is great is the Army orders him to?

Does a hospital chaplain have to preach about the wonderfulness of abortion if he works full time in a hospital?

Religion stays with pastors no matter where they practice it.

Sure, but if what the other poster says is true, then it is more like a business (a wedding chapel) than an actual church that performs sermons, etc. I'm quite sure that one of those marriage chapels does not meet up to the requirements to be considered a "church" and would therefore be a business for the public.

Hobby Lobby made it quite clear that businesses can be be religious. I mean you get that right?

No churches should not be forced to do that which is against their beliefs, however it's very sad that they cannot accept everybody and feel the need to be exclusive, instead of letting God worry about who will or who will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Does an Army Chaplain have to preach about how abortion is great is the Army orders him to?

Does a hospital chaplain have to preach about the wonderfulness of abortion if he works full time in a hospital?

Sure, but if what the other poster says is true, then it is more like a business (a wedding chapel) than an actual church that performs sermons, etc. I'm quite sure that one of those marriage chapels does not meet up to the requirements to be considered a "church" and would therefore be a business for the public.

Hobby Lobby made it quite clear that businesses can be be religious. I mean you get that right?

I disagree. They are not a church and are providing a product to the public. I am highly doubtful that they get tax exempt status either. :D

Oh, my bad. Were you being facetious? I'm not very familiar with a lot of the news on "gay issues." I don't really follow it very closely, as I feel it doesn't really concern me.

Edit: Lol. I'm still half asleep here, so let me clarify. I don't know the details of this "Hobby Lobby" case. I vaguely remember hearing about it in the news, but I really don't pay much attention to that type of news story.

Oh, my bad. Were you being facetious? I'm not very familiar with a lot of the news on "gay issues." I don't really follow it very closely, as I feel it doesn't really concern me.

No, I'm not being Facetious. In Hobby Lobby SCOTUS ruled that the company could follow their religious convictions in regards to providing medical insurance benefits.

That obviously means that businesses have first amendment rights. Can any other conclusion be drawn from that?

No, I'm not being Facetious. In Hobby Lobby SCOTUS ruled that the company could follow their religious convictions in regards to providing medical insurance benefits.

That obviously means that businesses have first amendment rights. Can any other conclusion be drawn from that?

Well, I think that's wrong. Businesses should not be able to discriminate IMO. Why would they want to? Stupid business practice if you ask me. A lot of religious people are anal retentive. They really need to get a grip, stop being so judgmental and let GOD worry about who is a sinner.

Are there religious gay people? I don't think I've ever met a religious gay person. I wonder why "marriage" is SO important to them. Isn't marriage (the ceremony part anyway), a religious ceremony? Joining two souls in "holy matrimony?" The rings have religious implications, as does the entire marriage ceremony.

That is what marriage has always meant to me, the joining of two souls in the eyes of the Lord/God. This is why I don't understand why the gays put up such a stink about "civil unions" because, in reality, if they aren't religious, then that is EXACTLY what a marriage is, a civil union, a contract between two human beings. If you aren't religious, then the "ceremony" should be of no consequence to you.

Seriously?

Just because there are religious bigots who condemn gays doesn't mean that gays abandon their own personal religious beliefs. Gays are just as religious as straights. Many gays went through a Holy Matrimony ceremony in order to be "married in the eyes of God" long before it was ever recognized by the state as a legal marriage. And yes, there are ministers of religion who married them because they weren't bigots either.

Well, I think that's wrong. Businesses should not be able to discriminate IMO. Why would they want to? Stupid business practice if you ask me. A lot of religious people are anal retentive. They really need to get a grip, stop being so judgmental and let GOD worry about who is a sinner.

It's THEIR business. If they want to run it stupidly, what do you care? And more important, what gives the government the right to say otherwise?

A lot of religious people are anal? What about faggots who can't say "oh, you don't want my business, okay I'll go somewhere that does?"

Those people should be taken out back and shot for being selfish pricks. Don't force someone to do something they don't want to do through the courts.

It's THEIR business. If they want to run it stupidly, what do you care? And more important, what gives the government the right to say otherwise?

A lot of religious people are anal? What about faggots who can't say "oh, you don't want my business, okay I'll go somewhere that does?"

Those people should be taken out back and shot for being selfish pricks. Don't force someone to do something they don't want to do through the courts.

They should be shot? :cuckoo:

Seriously?

Just because there are religious bigots who condemn gays doesn't mean that gays abandon their own personal religious beliefs. Gays are just as religious as straights. Many gays went through a Holy Matrimony ceremony in order to be "married in the eyes of God" long before it was ever recognized by the state as a legal marriage. And yes, there are ministers of religion who married them because they weren't bigots either.

Question

Why are people who think that being gay is a sin bigots, but people who don't respect the religious views of others are not?

You're a bigot sir. You just think it's okay because you're bigoted against Christians who believe gay is a sin.

Seriously?

How can they follow a religion that has judged them not worthy?

Absolutely. The world is over populated anyway, let's start thinning the herd. A good place to start is people who believe the government is a hammer to bludgeon people with when they won't do what we want them to.

You are conflating two entirely different concepts. Hobby Lobby objected to paying for medications that they believed caused abortions. Hobby Lobby was not refusing to serve their gay customers.

Seriously?

Question

Why are people who think that being gay is a sin bigots, but people who don't respect the religious views of others are not?

You're a bigot sir. You just think it's okay because you're bigoted against Christians who believe gay is a sin.

How can you call yourself "religious?" You seem to be kind of mean and nasty to me. I always think of religious people like my auntie, who is sweet and kind to everyone. She would never speak of gay people (or ANY people) the way that you do.

You are conflating two entirely different concepts. Hobby Lobby objected to paying for medications that they believed caused abortions. Hobby Lobby was not refusing to serve their gay customers.

I'm not conflating anything. Hobby Lobby gave businesses first amendment rights. That can't be denied.

Seriously?

Question

How can you call yourself "religious?" You seem to be kind of mean and nasty to me. I always think of religious people like my auntie, who is sweet and kind to everyone. She would never speak of gay people (or ANY people) the way that you do.

Where did I say I was religious?

By the way, I also never said I would discriminate.

Absolutely. The world is over populated anyway, let's start thinning the herd. A good place to start is people who believe the government is a hammer to bludgeon people with when they won't do what we want them to.

So you want to shoot people who had different beliefs or lifestyles than yourself?

I certainly HOPE that you can see the hypocrisy in your statement here "people who believe the government is a hammer . . . " Isn't this exactly what you are condoning with your statements about "thinning the herd" and shooting people for disagreeing with your beliefs?

We have to be able to balance fair business practices and rights and try to make everyone happy, and this is never going to happen. No matter what, someone is going to be left feeling unhappy.

LOL. Disagreement with the left is ALWAYS bigotry. There are gay Christians, some even believe Jesus was gay, but the orthodox view is that it is a sin. Those not willing to marry someone into sin are following their principles. Something you apparently know little about. The bigotry is all yours.

Seriously?

Question

I not only respect your right to be a religious bigot I am willing to die fighting for your right to be a religious bigot.

I am also willing to die fighting for your right to make a fool of yourself expressing your ignorance. I am not in the least "bigoted against Christians who believe gay is a sin" because I respect their right to be bigots.

However I will exercise my own right to expose those who condemn gays as religious bigots. If you are going to be a religious bigot you need to be honest enough to admit what you are. You don't get a pass because it is in your bible. This is a secular nation. Gays are equal under the law and your religious bigotry doesn't overrule the law of the land.

Seriously?

How can they follow a religion that has judged them not worthy?

That is a question that I am not going to answer because it is a personal matter of their faith and beliefs.

Forum List

Back