Hitch-Hiking--Why I'm Against It:

independent minded

VIP Member
May 3, 2016
People are claiming that hitch-hiking is once again becoming popular here in the United States, but that is up for debate, as far as Iā€™m concerned. Many people hitch-hiked, especially in the 40ā€™s, 50ā€™s, 60ā€™s, and even throughout the 70ā€™s, but after awhile, hitch-hiking seemed to decline in popularity for several reasons:
A) Itā€™s too risky
B) Increase in car ownership by high school and college students alike
C) Many people have more money than they did back in the earlier part of the 20th century.
D) A number of people believe that many people arenā€™t interesting in communicating with and relating to other people any more, or helping out strangers, which may be true, but hitch-hiking, imho, is definitely not the safest way to get to know people. Granted, Iā€™ve also read/heard about people whoā€™ve hitch-hiked across the country, or to another place, and met some rather interesting, helpful, benevolent and kind-hearted and honest people, but there are still people out there with bad intentions, who are criminally disposed, or who are just plain crazy, who are out there in their cars, and the risks arenā€™t worth it to me.

Hitch-hikingā€™s popularity peaked during the mid to late 1960ā€™s, and even the earlier part of the 1970ā€™s. When violent crime began to increase generally here in the United States, there were many well-publicized incidents that occurred when people hitch-hiked, which also helped many people stop hitch-hiking because they felt that it was taking too many chances with oneā€™s freedom, life, and safety.
Of course, in the 1960ā€™s here in the United States, there seemed to be a feeling of community and togetherness among people, but that was kind of a mirage, and rather short. During the early 1970ā€™s, it began to fall apart. The disintegration of the sense of community spirit began to snowball during the 1980ā€™s, with the election of Ronald Reagan as President of the United States, it continued under Carter, and has continued to snowball even today, under both G. W H. Bush Sr, and G. W. Bush Jr. With Obama, it has gotten little or no better, but letā€™s see what happens with the next POTUS election thatā€™s coming up in November.

As a woman who graduated from high school back in 1969, and did some occasional hitch-hiking back in the 1970ā€™s, Iā€™ve now taken a stand against hitch-hiking for a number of reasons:

A) While most people are perfectly normal, honest and okay, itā€™s also true that there are many people with bad intentions who are out there and around in their cars, and one never knows if s/he may get picked up by somebody who has bad intentions.

B) Many places here in the United States have outlawed hitch-hiking, due at least in part due to the fact that a hitchhiker stands a good chance of being hit by a vehicle, having to endure either extremely hot or extremely cold weather while thumbing for a ride, or being without food, water, or shelter for a good, long while.

C) Thereā€™s also a good chance, in many places where hitch-hiking is illegal, that one may get fined, arrested or jailed, if and/or when theyā€™re caught by cops and other law-enforcement people.

D) Picking up hitch-hikers, too, can be risky, and many highways and thruways here in the United States, generally, have signs that say ā€œPrison Area: Do Not Pick up Hitch-Hikersā€, and with ample reason: Who knows if the person one picks up isnā€™t an escaped convict looking for a way out? Thereā€™s no telling. But itā€™s not worth taking a chance, imho. My (now-deceased) grandfather once told me a rather grisly story about a couple who picked up a hitch-hiker, The driver whoā€™d picked up the hitch-hiker, then noticed that the hitch-hiker, who was in the back seat, had a sledge-hammer, and was about to hit him over the head with it. The driver quickly put his hand to his head to protect it, and the hitch-hiker hit the driverā€™s hand, permanently mashing it out of shape. Although there are instances when people who get picked up do harm, or try to do harm to the driver of the car, itā€™s mostly the people who are picked up that are in the most danger.

E) Reading and hearing about a number of rather grisly incidents of hitch-hikers being badly injured, or disappearing, never to be seen alive, much less heard from again, also turned me off to hitch-hiking. The Boston area, too, had its share of grisly hitch-hiking events. A number of young women, ranging in age from their late teens through their mid-20ā€™s, whoā€™d been hitch-hiking to school or to work, disappeared, never to be seen alive, much less heard from again. Their bodies were found, either in the woods, or on the roadside(s), in very different, and distant places. Boston was in the national spotlight for many weeks, at least in part, due to all of those young women who were brutally murdered and dumped off in distant places, while theyā€™d been hitch-hiking.

In the spring of 1972, three years after Iā€™d graduated from Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School, where Iā€™d graduated from back in 1969, two teenaged couples from that same high school, who had been out on a late Saturday night/Sunday morning date, hitch-hiked home. The two men who picked up the teens were clearly intoxicated, but they didnā€™t seem hostile. The girls were dropped off first, but then things took a rather nasty turn. The men whoā€™d picked up the teens then drove the boys to a secluded area near the Lincoln-Waltham line (also in Massachusetts), and then physically attacked them. One of the teenaged boys received a concussion due to being hit over the head with a blunt, heavy instrument. The other one almost got mowed down by their attackersā€™ car while they were running to get help.

In March of 1975, two young college men, whoā€™d spent the evening in a bar in downtown Boston, and then hitch-hiked home, were picked up by a couple of rough-and-tough men from South Boston, taken to a secluded spot, and brutally murdered, re-instating dangers of hitch-hiking.

F) While iā€™d done some hitch-hiking myself during the heyday of the 1970ā€™s, and had no problems, there were times when Iā€™d end up worrying and asking ā€œWill I or will I not get to where Iā€™m going, safely, alive and in once piece?ā€ One time, I even got a ride with a young guy who was a former drag racer, on my way to my music lesson, when I was attending Northeastern University, in the very early 1970ā€™s. It was a rather freaky experience, and my heart was probably in my mouth the entire time (lol), as the former drag-racing guy, who drove a little sports-car, mustā€™ve driven through the Boston traffic and through Cambridgeā€™s Harvard Square, at around 50 miles an hour. I got to where I was going safely, in one piece, and on time, and my music teacher sort of warned me that one day Iā€™d end up getting more than I bargained for if I kept on hitch-hiking. Although I sort of dismissed her warning out of hand, I secretly knew she was probably right. When I told my mom about having gotten a ride with a former drag-racer, my mom said ā€œAt least a former drag-racer knows something about how to drive a car fast.ā€ My mom, too, had a good point.

I hitch-hiked afew more times after that, but my parents had a good point when they said that hitch-hiking was too risky. I was in my mid-twenties and was still living at home, but their points made great, good sense, when they pointed out that the overall situation here in the United States wasnā€™t what it had been, and that, if anything, the overall situation was even worse than it used to be.
One day, while at school, I overheard a young woman talking to a friend about how sheā€™d hitch-hiked to school that morning, had received a ride with a pervert, but had gotten to school safely. She was fortunate that sheā€™d been able to get out, especially because many of these guys would remove the handles from the insides of their car doors, to prevent the women from escaping once theyā€™d picked them up.
F) I had at least a couple of weird hitch-hiking experiences, which while I emerged from them unscathed, were rather creepy, and seemed to have to potential for escalating into something much more serious. On both of these occasions, when I was picked up, the guys who picked me up started out with benevolent enough conversation, and they seemed okay. When their talk slid into sexual innuendos and overtones, however, I decided to get out, and I was allowed out of the car, which was fortunate.
After weighing the odds, and due to reading/hearing about grisly incidents, where many young women were never seen alive again, or people being beat-up and seriously injured and even killed while hitch-hiking, I decided that it wasnā€™t worth risking my safety and possibly my limb and life hitch-hiking. Fortunately, I have my own car, and I drive many places, even long distances, by myself, and Iā€™ve had no problems. Since Iā€™ve lived independently from my family for many years since, and live in the city, rather than the suburbs, I also take public transportation if I have to go downtown for an errand or an appointment. I often walk to places, as well. I frequently also drive part-way to my destination and then walk the rest of the way. Living in the city puts me at an advantage that way, too. If I travel at night, whether it be by car or by MBTA (Mass. Bay Transit Authority), Iā€™m also careful, and donā€™t take public transportation late at night.
Of course, thereā€™s no guarantee that things wonā€™t get dicey if oneā€™s walking, or taking public transportation, but at least if a threatening situation develops, if itā€™s on the street, thereā€™s always the possibility of running to higher ground, if one gets the drift. If iā€™m on public transportation, thereā€™s always the option of getting off at the next stop, if things start to get weird, but the latter hasnā€™t happened to me so far. Paying attention to whatā€™s happening around you, whether oneā€™s in the city or out in the ā€˜burbs or boonies, is key.

There are people who pooh-pooh the idea that getting into a car with a perfect stranger is risky, and that one is more likely to be molested or possibly raped/killed by a friend or family member, or who claim ā€œWell, the home I came from is far more dangerous than being in the road, in a car, with a strangerā€. That claim, imho fails to hold water. Hereā€™s why:

While some people may argue that one takes his/her chances while driving their car, of getting hurt or killed on the road, or when they meet somebody at a dance, a party, a bar, or a night-club, being careful while driving helps. In the event of meeting people in a bar or nightclub, or a dance or party, thereā€™s always the option of ducking out and leaving quickly if and when things start to get dicey.

When one gets into a car with a total stranger, however, or picks up a total stranger, s/he puts him or herself at the mercy of that person, and, often has little or no control over what may happen. Itā€™s just simply not worth risking oneā€™s limb and life by getting into a car with, or picking up somebody whoā€™s totally unknown, and has never been seen before. Again, while most people are perfectly normal and honest, thereā€™s no telling if and when somebody with bad intentions, is a criminal, is intoxicated or high, or is just plain crazy, will pick you up. Many such people, who are out there looking for victims, put on a benevolent pose, seem and even act and look nice enough, in order to lure victims into a situation where theyā€™ll come to harm, or possibly worse. Many, if not most of these victims are quite young, as well, and have no other means of transportation, or money.

There are people who argue that the incidence of violent crime, or crime...period, has declined here in the United States. That may be so, but that doesnā€™t negate the risks of putting oneself at the mercy of a total stranger whoā€™s totally unknown in any way, and thereby into an extremely risky, unpredictable situation, by getting into a car with them, especially if thereā€™s more than one person in the car.

There are people who say that they hitch-hike a lot, but have no problems, and dismiss my opinions as a lot of BS, and dismiss me as somebody who cares nothing about helping other people out who are in need. Some people have even accused me, or even the media, of fabricating these horrendous incidents that occurred while hitch-hiking just to get peopleā€™s fears up. If thatā€™s their attitude, wellā€¦.thatā€™s their problem...not mine.

People who claim that the 1960ā€™s were a decade of ā€œtogethernessā€ are not entirely correct, either. There was plenty of divisiveness, meanness, dishonesty and crime, both at the hands of acquaintances and the hands of strangers whoā€™d picked up young, unsuspecting victims in their cars, and either inflicted serious harm to them or even killed them. All told, having said all of the above, thumbing rides with, or even picking up hitchhikers that Iā€™ve never set eyes on before, and/or know absolutely nothing about, are just simply not risks that are worth taking.

Christ almighty I'm not reading all of that. The topic is hitch hiking so why the fuck would you write a thesis on it?

On topic. TONS of hitch hikers in major metropolitan areas

My friend and I were teens and we were hitch hiking. A car with three teen boys pulled up and offered us a ride. I didn't want to take the ride because there were three guys but my friend insisted. We got in and told them where we were headed. They said they take us but when we got there the car didn't stop. We passed our destination and told the boy driving that he missed it. He said we weren't getting out and we both got the feeling that this wasn't going to go well for us. We told them if our boyfriends found out they'd have trouble. They laughed and asked who that was. We were both dating bikers that had something of a bad reputation so not only did they turn around but apologized and let us out respectfully. Yes it's dangerous and I'd hate to think of what could have happened. I never got into a car that we were outnumbered by males again and I always carried a knife with me after that.

Christ almighty I'm not reading all of that. The topic is hitch hiking so why the fuck would you write a thesis on it?

On topic. TONS of hitch hikers in major metropolitan areas

I wrote a large essay on this topic because I felt like it, Grampa Murked U. Moreover, I was within my rights to do so. There are not tons of hitchhikers in major metropolitan areas...not nowadays, anyway. I have not seen hitch-hikers as of late when I drive on any interstate highways, and hitch-hiking has taken a dive for a very good, legitimate reason: It's way too risky, and there's no telling who one may get picked up by.

My friend and I were teens and we were hitch hiking. A car with three teen boys pulled up and offered us a ride. I didn't want to take the ride because there were three guys but my friend insisted. We got in and told them where we were headed. They said they take us but when we got there the car didn't stop. We passed our destination and told the boy driving that he missed it. He said we weren't getting out and we both got the feeling that this wasn't going to go well for us. We told them if our boyfriends found out they'd have trouble. They laughed and asked who that was. We were both dating bikers that had something of a bad reputation so not only did they turn around but apologized and let us out respectfully. Yes it's dangerous and I'd hate to think of what could have happened. I never got into a car that we were outnumbered by males again and I always carried a knife with me after that.

You're lucky that you and your friend got to where you were going, Marianne. it's a good thing that you and your friend were able to deal with it, and that the teenaged boys who picked up eventually relented, apologized, turned around and let you out at your original destiny. It sounds like your hitch-hiking experience had the potential for turning extremely ugly. Other people in that kind of situation, no matter how much they've kept their cool, have not been so lucky.

Also, weapons aren't always your best friend, either, because knives, guns, or other weapon can be taken away from you and used against you.

Then you are not paying attention. I see them almost every day. Same for beggers

Let me say this, Grampa Murked U: I have not seen hitch-hikers here in the Boston area for years.
You're on the east coast. Where's the destination for someone already at the edge of the continent? I'm in the Midwest and there is no shortage of losers on the on ramps & exits.

All of that just to tell us that you are a) afraid to hitchhike and b) afraid of hitchhikers...

Wow, you ever heard the saying "Less is more?"

You're lucky that you and your friend got to where you were going, Marianne. it's a good thing that you and your friend were able to deal with it, and that the teenaged boys who picked up eventually relented, apologized, turned around and let you out at your original destiny. It sounds like your hitch-hiking experience had the potential for turning extremely ugly. Other people in that kind of situation, no matter how much they've kept their cool, have not been so lucky.

Also, weapons aren't always your best friend, either, because knives, guns, or other weapon can be taken away from you and used against you.
Well yeah but I was 17 at the time so hitch hiking and carrying a knife seemed like a good Idea. Young and stupid, glad I survived

All of that just to tell us that you are a) afraid to hitchhike and b) afraid of hitchhikers...

Wow, you ever heard the saying "Less is more?"

What's so wrong about erring on the side of caution and using good, common sense? As far as I'm concerned, hitch-hiking is stupid, and ultra-risky. Unlike you, I'm not interested in either getting into cars with, or picking up complete and total strangers just to prove myself. I gave all my reasons for not thinking that hitch-hiking is a good idea, and I stand by all I've said.

Well yeah but I was 17 at the time so hitch hiking and carrying a knife seemed like a good Idea. Young and stupid, glad I survived

I'm glad you survived, Marianne, but, again, you're lucky that the guy didn't take that knife away from you and use it against you.

Then you are not paying attention. I see them almost every day. Same for beggers

Let me say this, Grampa Murked U: I have not seen hitch-hikers here in the Boston area for years.
You're on the east coast. Where's the destination for someone already at the edge of the continent? I'm in the Midwest and there is no shortage of losers on the on ramps & exits.

Boston is a college and university town, and therefore it's got a high college student population. Many students used to hitch-hike west to New York, New Jersey and other places like that,

In this day in age I think hitching is crazy and I don't even recall the last time I've seen anyone doing it in a city, burbs, or rural area. See a lot of supposedly homeless beggers in cities and suburbs though. Nothing like someone begging who sports a cell phone or is sucking on a $8-a-pack cigarette. Real buzzkills to my philanthrophy.

In this day in age I think hitching is crazy and I don't even recall the last time I've seen anyone doing it in a city, burbs, or rural area. See a lot of supposedly homeless beggers in cities and suburbs though. Nothing like someone begging who sports a cell phone or is sucking on a $8-a-pack cigarette. Real buzzkills to my philanthrophy.

There are lots of people (myself included) who agree with you, blastoff. It is weird and crazy that, in this age of cellphones and pagers, etc., that people would be hitch-hiking at all. I see a lot of homeless people, and even an occasional beggar or two, but no hitch-hikers. Haven't seen any hitch-hikers here in the Boston area since the early 1970's. I think that a great many people also got turned off to hitch-hiking because they rightly felt that it was too risky.

I have no problem helping out a stranded motorist getting to another place. I think people just need to be wary of the people they pick up. You are right about being able to talk to people you pick up. They tend to open up to you about their situation so it is kind of interesting sometimes.

I have no problem helping out a stranded motorist getting to another place. I think people just need to be wary of the people they pick up. You are right about being able to talk to people you pick up. They tend to open up to you about their situation so it is kind of interesting sometimes.

Picking up hitch-hikers or even stopping to help a stranded motorist can be just as risky as thumbing rides. In any case, one never really knows what or who they may end up opening oneself up to. Not withstanding the rather grisly story that my (now-deceased) grandfather told me about the guy who picked up a hitch-hiker, noticed too late that the guy he'd picked up had a sledge-hammer and was about to hit him over the head with it, but put his hand up to protect his head, thereby getting his hand permanently mashed out of shape with the sledgehammer, I also read an even grislier story about a guy who'd stopped to help a young woman with car trouble, which nearly cost him his life: As he was helping the young woman out, three rough-and-tough guys surrounded him and beat him within an inch or so of his life. Fortunately, the guy who'd stopped to help the young woman who was having car trouble survived, but spent months in the hospital. No joke, either.

Forum List

Back