History of the Word WOKE

Part 9

What’s telling is that the exhaustion seems to come from moderates and leftists themselves as often as from conservatives — as if there’s a shared agreement that embodying wokeness is a kind of trap, no matter what side of the aisle you’re on.

Many people across the ideological spectrum seem wary of the performative semantics associated with “wokeness,” and the way that performance can undermine the sincerity of arguments being made in support of equality. “I always saw it as a tad performative,” Valdary told me, decrying what she described as “the unwieldy jargon of self-identifying as ‘woke.’”

“I think it’s mostly performative, and at best, tells me nothing about a person’s ideas re: racial justice,” she said. “It feels like a status-seeking label as opposed to a mode of being [that is] seeking positive change.”

Prior told me she likewise was leery of the ostentatious behavior associated with “woke” — but was more distressed by the increasing tendency of conservatives to use “woke” as an insult. “I have had private conversations with pastors who have used it as a term of insult,” she said, “because it’s hard — it is hurtful to use a term that is so meaningful to people and to use it in an entirely different way, it’s just simply wrong.”

“On the one hand,” miles-hercules said, the term “has been commodified in marketing to connote a host of associations to things like diversity, inclusion, and so on, in order to turn a profit by appealing to progressive sensibilities. Additionally, it has been plundered into conservative and right-wing discourse as a means of mocking and satirizing the politics of those on the other side of the proverbial aisle.”

Yet across a broad range of political beliefs, one recurring theme is that “wokeness” has demonstrable social, even quasi-religious, power. The writer James Lindsay has argued exhaustively that “wokeness” is essentially a religion where faith in social justice ideology stands in for belief in a deity, and that regular attendance at social justice protests has replaced the role of religious rituals for many progressives.

Valdary likewise spoke of being “woke” in a figurative sense — as an awakening akin to the Enlightenment.

“My sense is that by ‘woke,’ what people mean is a new form of being ‘enlightened,’ repackaged for our modern era,” she said. “The Enlightenment was meant to be an era of new progressive ideas, and folks fancied themselves awakened by new ideas and knowledge.” Similarly, “people today who identify as woke also see themselves as having been awakened to a new set of ideas, value systems, and knowledge. The mode and the values are different, but the sensibility — the idea that previously you were blind, and now you can see — is the same.”

(vide tweets and videos online)

Part 10

As Valdary’s biblical reference implies, the idea of wokeness as a spiritual awakening has a potent appeal, and some people are actively energized by it. Historian and Christian theorist Jemar Tisby told me he found the idea of a religious awakening to be powerful — even as he noted that “woke,” like so many appropriated Black words and ideas, had “hit the mainstream and then [been] voided of some of its meaning and potency in the process.”

“If you really delve into the metaphor of being woke,” he said, “it implies that in some sense you were asleep to particular kinds of injustices and oppressions in the world, and now you’ve been awakened to it.” Indeed, many conservative evangelicals have fully embraced “woke Christianity” as a way of fighting racism, using it in precisely this quasi-religious sense: awakening to the harm of racism in society and prioritizing the fight for social justice.

“I THINK IT’S GOING TO GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER“

Tisby pointed out that this sort of ideological awakening is a documented phenomenon. “Social psychologists talk about racial identity development, and there is always a moment or a series of events that make one aware not just that race exists but that it matters,” he said. He described them as “landmark moments,” often born from experiencing or witnessing a traumatic event, that “can be sort of existential awakenings to a whole different reality.”

That powerful concept, however, “now has become either sort of kitschy or actually almost an epithet — as if there’s this sort of superficial, performative effort at justice,” Tisby said.

“Wokeness is costly,” he continued. “When people claim the label without enduring the difficulties that go along with truly anti-racist actions, then it’s in a vacuum.”

In other words, while many people on the right may be disenchanted with wokeness because they see it as an upgraded form of “political correctness,” many people on the left may be just as frustrated with it. That’s because claiming wokeness is often about maintaining the superficial trappings of progressive idealism without doing the real work to understand and change systems of oppression.

Tisby told me he was disappointed by the word’s current context and stigma, but not really surprised. “Jesus said, ‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven,’” he said. “Not everyone who says, ‘Woke, woke,’ is actually committed to racial justice.”

Part 11

Weariness over “wokeness” may ultimately be about larger semantic issues — or it may signal a longing to connect to other people​

Just as Kelley’s use of the word “woke” in 1962 predicted, the idea of it being appropriated and reconfigured is encoded into its very lexicological nature. Prior pointed out that the word, just by virtue of being nonstandard English, is inherently performative and thus “reflects a larger way in which so much of our discourse is ironic or performative.” She also referenced woke’s presence on social media, where there’s a predilection for declaring everything and everyone “canceled.”

Valdary advanced this idea even further, noting that the semantic and ideological conflicts embedded in “woke” reflect a larger cultural epistemological breakdown. In a post-industrial age, she argued, “our sense of selfhood has become undone and unmoored.” As individuals, we’re more isolated from family, friends, and social tethers than ever — a state that’s been exacerbated by Covid-19 and the chaotic state of modern social media. All of this, Valdary argued, has led to “a profound crisis of meaning in the zeitgeist.”

“Our relationship with our lives is all too often filtered through the prism of social media and that’s no way to be fully in relationship with one’s self (or with others),” Valdary said. In that context, the lure of being “woke” is very similar to the lure of religion, in that it can offer what seems to be a profound sense of purpose and belonging. But echoing Tisby, Valdary cautioned that true anti-racist work isn’t about superficial change.

Wokeness offers “a feeling of belonging and purpose, which is something that human beings need to survive,” she said. “But meanwhile, you haven’t necessarily done the self-work to be in a healthy relationship with yourself (and others) — something akin to developing a sense of inner peace and contentment with yourself so that you don’t contribute to the conditions that make racism possible in the first place.”

It seems, then, that the evolution of “woke” since 2014 is almost a direct reflection of a larger cultural evolution during the same period. Since Ferguson, the ideas and idealism behind various social justice movements have frequently been co-opted and distorted. In the case of the Black Lives Matter movement, conservatives have even reframed the protests as being a contributor to — even the cause of — the violent system they inherently oppose. This has typically been done through petty, disingenuous, exhausting semantic arguments, assisted by bad actors, bots, and trolls, and all of it has been done through and around the word “woke.”

Is it even possible to overcome such isolation and bridge communication gaps between the “woke,” the anti-“woke,” and the conscientiously non-“woke”? Prior thinks so, with some trepidation. “The solution [I’ve] arrived at, when someone does use a term like that as an insult, [is] to ignore the insult [and] respond to what might underlie the insult ... the bigger concern. Because the polarization is only going to be defeated by transcending the binary categories of the argument.”

Still, she cautioned, because there are so many issues of communication and meaning at play, “I think it’s going to get worse before it gets better. But I think those of us who see how bad it is and want something better just have to be in it for the long term.”

Tisby echoed this idea. “The dedication and commitment of the [people] who have been awakened in this moment,” he said, “[and] who will remain in the struggle, however costly it might be — those are the folks who give me hope.”

Exactly. There is nothing "liberal" about the current hard left these days. Even progressive isn't applicable anymore, because they want us to regress, not progress.
"Progressive" came from the Fabians...The hard left back in the day were fine with the term until people found out what the real agenda was.....Today's freak "woke" leftists are the natural end point of Fabian progressivism.

[ Too many people keep using the word WOKE without actually knowing what it means and where it comes from. The word has been totally changed for political reasons in the last few years. It has been used and abused. I would like to introduce its history. May its original meaning be restored with time ]

Someday when the cultural moment that many have called “The Great Awokening” is finally, mercifully, over, Americans of all races should fight to give African Americans their word back.

Less than 10 years ago, “woke” was a word so deeply layered with history and meaning it could evoke years of pain suffered by descendants of slaves coming of age in Jim Crow America.

You don’t have to be African American, however, to feel its history. The word woke is seminal to our larger culture in ways most of us have never understood.

It’s one of the great words in American English and it should be preserved in its purest form.

At the moment it is being hijacked by politics – first by white liberals, then by white conservatives.

A battle over 'woke' in the Republican Party primary​

This week the word “woke” is igniting a family spat within the 2024 Republican primary for president, pitting Donald Trump against his former apprentice, Ron DeSantis.

DeSantis, the Florida governor, uses the word frequently to describe an ideology steeped in identity politics that has taken over our universities, media, large corporations, medicine, arts, entertainment and sports.

Trump argues he doesn’t use the word. “I don’t like the term ‘woke’ because I hear, ‘Woke, woke, woke.’ It’s just a term they use, half the people can’t even define it, they don’t know what it is.”

There’s a good chance none of us would know the word today had the Library of Congress not set out in the 1930s to preserve American folk music in the South.

That project took library archivists to Louisiana where they discovered a little-known African American blues singer named Huddie William Ledbetter or “Lead Belly.”

The archivists recorded on aluminum discs Lead Belly and his 12-string guitar, preserving what would become some of the great Blues standards such as “Cotton Fields,” “Goodnight, Irene” and “Rock Island Line.”

When I see/hear the word "woke" I envision an alarm clock.

[ Too many people keep using the word WOKE without actually knowing what it means and where it comes from. The word has been totally changed for political reasons in the last few years. It has been used and abused. I would like to introduce its history. May its original meaning be restored with time ]

Someday when the cultural moment that many have called “The Great Awokening” is finally, mercifully, over, Americans of all races should fight to give African Americans their word back.

Less than 10 years ago, “woke” was a word so deeply layered with history and meaning it could evoke years of pain suffered by descendants of slaves coming of age in Jim Crow America.

You don’t have to be African American, however, to feel its history. The word woke is seminal to our larger culture in ways most of us have never understood.

It’s one of the great words in American English and it should be preserved in its purest form.

At the moment it is being hijacked by politics – first by white liberals, then by white conservatives.

This week the word “woke” is igniting a family spat within the 2024 Republican primary for president, pitting Donald Trump against his former apprentice, Ron DeSantis.

DeSantis, the Florida governor, uses the word frequently to describe an ideology steeped in identity politics that has taken over our universities, media, large corporations, medicine, arts, entertainment and sports.

Trump argues he doesn’t use the word. “I don’t like the term ‘woke’ because I hear, ‘Woke, woke, woke.’ It’s just a term they use, half the people can’t even define it, they don’t know what it is.”

There’s a good chance none of us would know the word today had the Library of Congress not set out in the 1930s to preserve American folk music in the South.

That project took library archivists to Louisiana where they discovered a little-known African American blues singer named Huddie William Ledbetter or “Lead Belly.”

The archivists recorded on aluminum discs Lead Belly and his 12-string guitar, preserving what would become some of the great Blues standards such as “Cotton Fields,” “Goodnight, Irene” and “Rock Island Line.”

A very " woke" post indeed.

A very " woke" post indeed.
If people actually held onto the meanings of words, the language wouldn't evolve, for better or worse.

Asked about changing the meanings in the English language, a conservative would say it was "bad", while a liberal would say it was "Bad !!!"

Do anyone of you actually have a brain, or can you only follow the talking point Du Jour?

I can appreciate that and once would have made that argument. But it is the left themselves who changed the meaning to be 'leftist' and all that being left in America means these days. I use the term as it has come to be a urban legend term meaning extreme leftism in their views most especially when it comes to matters of race, LGBTQX and other SJW issues, climate/environment, diet as well as the 'snowflake' mentality, need for 'safe spaces' and such, etc.

If the left uses it, I'll use it to illustrate the absurdity that it generally is.

New or different meanings are assigned to many words over time.

"Fantastic" used to mean something that wasn't believable but now means something great or terrific.

"Speechless" once meant a person was permanently mute. Now it is synonymous with flabbergasted or stunning or incredible etc.

"Black" was once considered an offensive term to use for black people and "Negro" was the proper and polite term to use. That has now reversed.

"Gay" once meant light hearted and carefree. Now it is exclusively used to refer to homosexual people.

"Queer" once meant strange, odd, peculiar. It too has now come to mean exclusively those who are not heterosexual and/or those who are tranvestite.

"Marriage" was once unquestioned as a legal/spiritual union of a man and a woman.

So we shouldn't be surprised or perhaps even offended that 'woke' has morphed into something very different from its historical meaning.

I can appreciate that and once would have made that argument. But it is the left themselves who changed the meaning to be 'leftist' and all that being left in America means these days. I use the term as it has come to be a urban legend term meaning extreme leftism in their views most especially when it comes to matters of race, LGBTQX and other SJW issues, climate/environment, diet as well as the 'snowflake' mentality, need for 'safe spaces' and such, etc.

If the left uses it, I'll use it to illustrate the absurdity that it generally is.

New or different meanings are assigned to many words over time.

"Fantastic" used to mean something that wasn't believable but now means something great or terrific.

"Speechless" once meant a person was permanently mute. Now it is synonymous with flabbergasted or stunning or incredible etc.

"Black" was once considered an offensive term to use for black people and "Negro" was the proper and polite term to use. That has now reversed.

"Gay" once meant light hearted and carefree. Now it is exclusively used to refer to homosexual people.

"Queer" once meant strange, odd, peculiar. It too has now come to mean exclusively those who are not heterosexual and/or those who are tranvestite.

"Marriage" was once unquestioned as a legal/spiritual union of a man and a woman.

So we shouldn't be surprised or perhaps even offended that 'woke' has morphed into something very different from its historical meaning.
He's in the process of blowing billows of smoke, in order to try and distance his preverted political philosophy from the monster they created....The examples you posted are on point.

History of the word Woke on the HISTORY Forums.

NOT a political issue here, but a historical one.

He's in the process of blowing billows of smoke, in order to try and distance his preverted political philosophy from the monster they created....The examples you posted are on point.
Maybe but it is a legitimate argument. As some of these terms have been morphing into very different meanings, as a historian and something of a wordsmith, I have pushed back on that too but it was pretty much an exercise in futility. I am but one voice and very often get overruled on these things. :)

Maybe but it is a legitimate argument. As some of these terms have been morphing into very different meanings, as a historian and something of a wordsmith, I have pushed back on that too but it was pretty much an exercise in futility. I am but one voice and very often get overruled on these things. :)
Said it numerous times....Both Orwell and Rand called it.

Woke is when a person, institution, business or whatever panders to the latest liberal ideology in exchange for not being a target of the left.

Woke is when a person, institution, business or whatever panders to the latest liberal ideology in exchange for not being a target of the left.
Woke today is used when racist, homophobic people in the US want to denigrate people they feel are inferior to them or do not have the right to be or live.

Or a gentle correction, it is what happens to a business that chooses to cater to the 'woke' instead of to normal customers. The business becomes 'woke' itself.

Or a gentle correction, it is what happens to a business that chooses to cater to the 'woke' instead of to normal customers. The business becomes 'woke' itself.
Nonsense. Businesses have the right to cater to whomever they choose and not be boycotted, maligned and threatened.

The voice of a minority should not have the power to destroy what the majority of the population is for.

People try to do that to Israeli products all the time.
And they are a minority, as well.

It is nothing but a waste of time which gets the boycotters nothing.

Scaring people to get one's way. What a novel idea.

Nonsense. Businesses have the right to cater to whomever they choose and not be boycotted, maligned and threatened.

The voice of a minority should not have the power to destroy what the majority of the population is for.

People try to do that to Israeli products all the time.
And they are a minority, as well.

It is nothing but a waste of time which gets the boycotters nothing.

Scaring people to get one's way. What a novel idea.
News flash. At least for now I have the right to choose who I will do business with and what products I will buy. And if a business is in my face with what I consider an attack on my values and principles, I will choose not to do business there or buy those products.

I could care less if a business wants to carry 'pride apparel' or whatever and I don't care if people buy those products. But when they are in my face with it, and especially when they're specifically targeting kids with it, I will object every single time. You/they can count on it.

In that case, my choice is the only weapon I have to promote what I believe are good, wholesome, necessary values to a strong, free and prosperous America.

Forum List

Back