HISTORY OF LANGUAGE

...... In order for 15 plus languages to develop there would have to have been 15 isolated communities of humans. I don't see it happening.

Why not? If there is one thing humans have always done, it's move around. How do you think we spread to every corner of the world?
I don't believe that early humans, as described in evolution, would have been able to travel far. They hadn't even domesticated horses yet, and probably weren't seafarers. This would have confined them to a relatively small area. Don't ya think?

People are designed for walking long distances, and all you need to be is out of earshot. Languages have developed, grown, evolved, gone extinct, and reappeared in different form all over the planet everywhere humans have migrated.

As I've tried to educate some people here from time to time...

"In his book, Eve Spoke,evolutionist Philip Lieberman admitted:

Speech is so essential to our concept of intelligence that its possession is virtually equated with being human. Animals who talk are human, because what sets us apart from other animals is the “gift” of speech’

In his book, The Symbolic Species: The Co-Evolution of Language and the Brain, Terrance Deacon noted:

‘In this context, then, consider the case of human language. It is one of the most distinctive behavioral adaptations on the planet. Languages evolved in only one species, in only one way, without precedent, except in the most general sense. And the differences between languages and all other natural modes of communicating are vast

What events transpired that have allowed humans to speak, while animals remain silent? If we are to believe the evolutionary teaching currently taking place in colleges and universities around the world, speech evolved as a natural process over time. Yet no one is quite sure how, and there are no known animals that are in a transition phase from non-speaking to speaking. "

The Origin of Language and Communication
African Greys are pretty intelligent. They can learn a fairly large vocabulary and actually use it to communicate in a limited fashion. Not on the level humans can, but they're pretty smart. They actually have the intelligence of a four year old human child. Doesn't make them human, but those are some pretty smart birds.

All animals - and even plants - communicate in some way, but only humans use language.

My aunt had an African Grey. One day, the feeder stick fell on it and it was trapped. It called my aunt by name and said HELP. Sounds like communication to me.

Communication, not language.

Speech is so essential to our concept of intelligence that its possession is virtually equated with being human. Animals who talk are human, because what sets us apart from other animals is the “gift” of speech’

In his book, The Symbolic Species: The Co-Evolution of Language and the Brain, Terrance Deacon noted:

‘In this context, then, consider the case of human language. It is one of the most distinctive behavioral adaptations on the planet. Languages evolved in only one species, in only one way, without precedent, except in the most general sense. And the differences between languages and all other natural modes of communicating are vast

What events transpired that have allowed humans to speak, while animals remain silent? If we are to believe the evolutionary teaching currently taking place in colleges and universities around the world, speech evolved as a natural process over time. Yet no one is quite sure how, and there are no known animals that are in a transition phase from non-speaking to speaking. "

African Greys are pretty intelligent. They can learn a fairly large vocabulary and actually use it to communicate in a limited fashion. Not on the level humans can, but they're pretty smart. They actually have the intelligence of a four year old human child. Doesn't make them human, but those are some pretty smart birds.

All animals - and even plants - communicate in some way, but only humans use language.

My aunt had an African Grey. One day, the feeder stick fell on it and it was trapped. It called my aunt by name and said HELP. Sounds like communication to me.

But it used our language to communicate. It understood the situation it was in and used the proper words to request assistence. I'm not saying parrots have their own language, but they do understand and use ours.

Early humans would have been confined to a limited area. In order for 15 plus languages to develop there would have to have been 15 isolated communities of humans. I don't see it happening.
At the time period that the Bible stories describe humans had spread out far and wide including into the Americas, so to say there were 15 isolated communities is a gross underestimation, IMO.

But it used our language to communicate. It understood the situation it was in and used the proper words to request assistence. I'm not saying parrots have their own language, but they do understand and use ours.

Nope. The bird only knew that making a noise brought attention. Simple conditioning, not language use.

Nope. The bird only knew that making a noise brought attention. Simple conditioning, not language use.
You should do some research on them. They have the reasoning ability of a three year old child. They understand words and their meanings. If you had ever owned an African Grey, you'd understand.

You should do some research on them. .......

I have researched the subject extensively.

Africans lead the world in the number of polyglots. They also achieve higher educational goals than any demographic in the US when they immigrate here.

This is a very interesting article. Note that it says that all languages, about 5,000 of them, originatted from less than 20 parent languages. I find this interesting, because I believe that if evolution were true, there would be a single parent language. There isn't. Which would seem to lend credence to the Biblical story of the tower of babel.Just my opinion. What do you think?

HISTORY OF LANGUAGE

The belief that some supernatural being suddenly waved his hand and changed all the languages in the world is idiotic

This is a very interesting article. Note that it says that all languages, about 5,000 of them, originatted from less than 20 parent languages. I find this interesting, because I believe that if evolution were true, there would be a single parent language. There isn't. Which would seem to lend credence to the Biblical story of the tower of babel.Just my opinion. What do you think?

HISTORY OF LANGUAGE

The belief that some supernatural being suddenly waved his hand and changed all the languages in the world is idiotic
Why do you say that? There is a reliable historical record that says it happened. I could also say that it is foolish to believe that there is nothing but the physical world. Why do you dismiss the supernatural? After all, many atheists believe in ghosts.

HISTORY OF LANGUAGE

I think miracles are just a way to move onto the next scene in the story the bible tells.

'

This thread is definitely above average for uninformed opinions.

Why do you say that? There is a reliable historical record that says it happened

No, there is not
Yes there is. The Bible has been proven to be an accurate historical document. If it says it happened, it happened. Your unbelief does not change that.

The Bible is a work of fiction written by people over 1000 years ago to, like all mythology, explain events science could not do at the time. It was also a way to control the populace and bring some kind of civil order to society

Why do you say that? There is a reliable historical record that says it happened

No, there is not
Yes there is. The Bible has been proven to be an accurate historical document. If it says it happened, it happened. Your unbelief does not change that.

The Bible is a work of fiction written by people over 1000 years ago to, like all mythology, explain events science could not do at the time. It was also a way to control the populace and bring some kind of civil order to society

No, there is not

Your ignorance is appalling.

... I believe that if evolution were true, there would be a single parent language. .....

Why?
Early humans would have been confined to a limited area. In order for 15 plus languages to develop there would have to have been 15 isolated communities of humans. I don't see it happening.
As I recall ancestors of humans made to to SE Asia hundreds of thousands of years ago so having 15+ unique languages is probable. I guess there there many, many more that have been lost though time.

No, there is not

No, there is not

Your ignorance is appalling.

Ironic statement from someone who believes in primitive mythology.

Forum List

Back