History of Catholic Teaching Re Slavery

Picaro

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2010
Texas
Something I ran across wandering around the innernutz. I always like finding free books.

http://www.anthonyflood.com/maxwellslaverycatholicchurch.pdf

THE HISTORY OF CATHOLIC TEACHING CONCERNING THE MORAL LEGITIMACY OF THE INSTITUTION OF SLAVERY by JOHN FRANCIS MAXWELL

FOREWORD

This little volume which gives the essence of the story concerning the Catholic Church and the institution of slavery is complete in itself and, while being well researched, is more readable than a massive documentary history.

The fact is that the history of Catholic teaching concerning the moral legitimacy of slavery is not simple and straight forward. The Church's attitudes to slavery have been so widely misrepresented and misunderstood that "this private investigation" as the author calls it is not only of absorbing interest and valuable in itself but also important as a witness to the truth.

This Society is therefore glad to sponsor this publication, believing it to be an achievement in the antislavery cause and a worthwhile contribution to the Society's interests.

Joint-President, WILBERFORCE

Anti-Slavery Society for the Protection of Human Rights,
London
March 1974

It's the topic of the pdf. Why not single them out? I was just curious if anyone read it and found any errors in it, not in Catholic bashing; they had many intellectuals opposed to slavery over many centuries as well.

Forum List

Back