Himalayan glaciers that provide drinking water for a billion people could lose 80% of their volume by the end of the century.

Speculation is theory until proven. Not science.
I'm sorry, but you really, really, really don't know what you're talking about.

Science and absolute truth​

The scientific community tends to shy away from the notion of absolute truths, especially since the advent of the theory of relativity, quantum mechanics and similar theories. Although scientific theory is repeatedly tested and substantiated, it can still be disproved at some point. Attempts to define a single unified theory -- such as string theory or M-theory -- could be seen as efforts to discover the absolute truth about the universe, but even those are never described as anything more than theoretical models.

Science revolves around a collection of theories that attempt to describe the natural world and the universe as they're currently understood, but as that understanding evolves, so do the theories on which science is based.

"Himalayan glaciers disappeared 65% faster since 2010 than in the previous decade and reducing snow cover due to global warming will result in reduced fresh water for people living downstream. The study found that 200 glacier lakes across these mountains are deemed dangerous, and the region could see a significant spike in glacial lake outburst floods by the end of the century."

How about some of you folks that think these problems will be easily overcome explain how we will replace drinking water for a billion people.
We have a lot of Bud Lite we could send them.

Why have none of these dire predictions about global climate catastrophes never been shown to be valid?

I'm sorry, but you really, really, really don't know what you're talking about.

Science and absolute truth​

The scientific community tends to shy away from the notion of absolute truths, especially since the advent of the theory of relativity, quantum mechanics and similar theories. Although scientific theory is repeatedly tested and substantiated, it can still be disproved at some point. Attempts to define a single unified theory -- such as string theory or M-theory -- could be seen as efforts to discover the absolute truth about the universe, but even those are never described as anything more than theoretical models.

Science revolves around a collection of theories that attempt to describe the natural world and the universe as they're currently understood, but as that understanding evolves, so do the theories on which science is based.

Tell ya' what, Crock, you run around yelling "The sky is falling, the sky is falling" because the weather changes and I'll continue to live the way I always have--adapting and thriving and we'll see which ones "science" is the more accurate model to follow. Run along now, Chicken Little.

Tell ya' what, Crock, you run around yelling "The sky is falling, the sky is falling" because the weather changes and I'll continue to live the way I always have--adapting and thriving and we'll see which ones "science" is the more accurate model to follow. Run along now, Chicken Little.
I'll be right here if you ever have a question.

"Himalayan glaciers disappeared 65% faster since 2010 than in the previous decade and reducing snow cover due to global warming will result in reduced fresh water for people living downstream. The study found that 200 glacier lakes across these mountains are deemed dangerous, and the region could see a significant spike in glacial lake outburst floods by the end of the century."

How about some of you folks that think these problems will be easily overcome explain how we will replace drinking water for a billion people.
And that hasn't been happening since the end of the last glacial period? Because that happens in every interglacial period.

And that hasn't been happening since the end of the last glacial period? Because that happens in every interglacial period.
Obviously, between the last local temperature minima (the glacial) the prior maxima (the interglacial), snow and ice declined. But as I have repeatedly pointed out to you, global temperatures were falling for 5,000 years before man made warming commenced. And guess what happens to snow and ice when temperatures drop.

recent%20data.gif

Examine the blue line since 11,500 years ago. Which way is that going?

Obviously, between the last local temperature minima (the glacial) the prior maxima (the interglacial), snow and ice declined. But as I have repeatedly pointed out to you, global temperatures were falling for 5,000 years before man made warming commenced. And guess what happens to snow and ice when temperatures drop.

recent%20data.gif

YAWN.

I've seen this movie before...

recent%20data.gif

Sounds like you are saying CO2 saved us from a glacial period.

Again... the present temperature is 2C cooler with 120 ppm more CO2 than previous interglacial periods.

Sounds like you are saying CO2 saved us from a glacial period.
I said no such thing.
Again... the present temperature is 2C cooler with 120 ppm more CO2 than previous interglacial periods.
Could you please identify the time at which it was 2C warmer with 120 ppm less CO2? Perhaps with a graph.

You kinda did.
The part that was missing was where I might have suggested that I thought a glacial period was imminent. You have an annoying habit of incorrectly paraphrasing what people have said. I'm pretty certain that most people here would include that under the rubric of "LYING".

Musk is accepting reservations for the next rocket-ship to Mars

Better hurry before its too late

Forum List

Back