High School

What were you in high school?

• Total voters
You brought up music, it made me realize what I missed. In other words - this was not actually about you. ;)

Oh.....:lol: I sometimes get carried away. I am my favorite topic of conversation, you know. My apologies. :lol:

Yeah, that's why the ;). I am enjoying hearing about the glory days, though. Were you guys able to record any of your performances?

A couple live ones yes but they are all on videotapes or cassette tapes. They are really funny to watch actually. I mean they are good, but my kids have watched them once or twice and love to make fun of Dad up there dressed in leather acting all badass. :lol:

Oh.....:lol: I sometimes get carried away. I am my favorite topic of conversation, you know. My apologies. :lol:

Yeah, that's why the ;). I am enjoying hearing about the glory days, though. Were you guys able to record any of your performances?

A couple live ones yes but they are all on videotapes or cassette tapes. They are really funny to watch actually. I mean they are good, but my kids have watched them once or twice and love to make fun of Dad up there dressed in leather acting all badass. :lol:

Man, you have GOT to get those flipped to DVD for posterity sake.

Yeah I really should. I don't even know how to go about doing that, frankly. I don't even know where the tapes are right now. Probably in a box in the attic somewhere....actually it might be best if they stay there so I can avoid future taunting from my loving children. ;)

Yeah I really should. I don't even know how to go about doing that, frankly. I don't even know where the tapes are right now. Probably in a box in the attic somewhere....actually it might be best if they stay there so I can avoid future taunting from my loving children. ;)

Who will likely someday have children of their own. And so on. - Posterity is what I'm talking about. :) They should be able to see those someday, see the young man you were.

Who will likely someday have children of their own. And so on. - Posterity is what I'm talking about. :) They should be able to see those someday, see the young man you were.

True...maybe I will go dig them out just for shits and giggles and see about getting them transferred.

I was a non-conformist. A fish out of water. I'd previously been in Catholic schools in Brooklyn, and high school was middle class, cliquish, with fraternities and sororities, located in Long Island.

We were also being racially integrated for the first time. We had riot cops outside our doors for four years.

The girls bathroom was unsafe. No doors were allowed because kids would get jumped and beat up in the bathroom.

My closest friends were a mixed race girl, (Native American and African American), a Jewish girl from the Bronx, a Czechoslovakian twin brother and sister, and a girl with a hair lip.

Both anti-war and civil rights movements were going on. My friends and I often cut school and went into NYC for demonstrations, and to the Arts Students Union for art classes. We sometimes hung out in Grenwich Village.

I lived with my dad and his partner, (they were both in the closet), and my Grandmother in an apartment behind their beauty shop. My dad and his partner often had men living with them. Greek immigrants. My dad's partner's son was always getting me stoned on pot or giving me acid.

I used to stay up real late, and write poetry and listen to Allison Steele, the Nightbird, on radio programs.

I talked to another friend from Catholic school days, every day for nearly an hour, upside down in a chair in the apartment while my dad was working.

I got a part time job in a bakery.

My dad's partner was a much better father. He knew me better than my dad did, and he did most of the discipline, which consisted of verbally haranguing me for my selfishness and rudeness toward my father.

My Grandmother was alternately loving and repetitive in her stories. She would sometimes get drunk and one time I had to call the Fire Department because she was drunk and had fallen and couldn't open the apartment door.

High School was a lonely time in a lot of ways, and a creative time too. I couldn't find enough outlets, writing poetry, composing songs, painting, sculpting. I was deeply moved by the Vietnam War and the Civil Right's movements.

The only gay consciousness I had at all, was reading Jill Johnston, an out lesbian who wrote for the Village Voice. Jill writing was hard to understand.

I had one lesbian affair when I was 15 in summer camp, but mostly boyfriends. I was a virgin until I was in college.

Last edited:
I was a non-conformist. A fish out of water. I'd previously been in Catholic schools in Brooklyn, and high school was middle class, cliquish, with fraternities and sororities, located in Long Island.

We were also being racially integrated for the first time. We had riot cops outside our doors for four years.

The girls bathroom was unsafe. No doors were allowed because kids would get jumped and beat up in the bathroom.

My closest friends were a mixed race girl, (Native American and African American), a Jewish girl from the Bronx, a Czechoslovakian twin brother and sister, and a girl with a hair lip.

Both anti-war and civil rights movements were going on. My friends and I often cut school and went into NYC for demonstrations, and to the Arts Students Union for art classes. We sometimes hung out in Grenwich Village.

I lived with my dad and his partner, (they were both in the closet), and my Grandmother in an apartment behind their beauty shop. My dad and his partner often had men living with them. Greek immigrants. My dad's partner's son was always getting me stoned on pot or giving me acid.

I used to stay up real late, and write poetry and listen to Allison Steele, the Nightbird, on radio programs.

I talked to another friend from Catholic school days, every day for nearly an hour, upside down in a chair in the apartment while my dad was working.

My dad's partner was a much better father. He knew me better than my dad did, and he did most of the discipline, which consisted of verbally haranguing me for my selfishness and rudeness toward my father.

My Grandmother was alternately loving and repetitive in her stories. She would sometimes get drunk and one time I had to call the Fire Department because she was drunk and had fallen and could open the door.

High School was a lonely time in a lot of ways, and a creative time too. I couldn't find enough outlets, writing poetry, composing songs, painting, sculpting. I was deeply moved by the Vietnam War and the Civil Right's movements.

The only gay consciousness I had at all, was reading Jill Johnston, an out lesbian who wrote for the Village Voice. Jill writing was hard to understand.

I had one lesbian affair when I was 15 in summer camp.

My best friend has a strong memory, like yours. I once asked her if she has whatever that is Marilu Henner has, where you remember just everything. She said not, but I do wonder.

My Grandmother was alternately loving and repetitive in her stories. She would sometimes get drunk and one time I had to call the Fire Department because she was drunk and had fallen and could open the door.

I had one lesbian affair when I was 15 in summer camp.

My best friend has a strong memory, like yours. I once asked her if she has whatever that is Marilu Henner has, where you remember just everything. She said not, but I do wonder.

My wife really wants me to write stories about my high school days, because she thinks my background is so "colorful". I guess it is. Living with two gay men, who were closeted, having their friends, who were pretty funny hang out with us.

I remember this one guy, Tony, real smiley with a big belly, used to cook and my dad and Johnny, (his partner), used to tease him alot about his cooking and his singing. He'd be in the kitchen singing opera. He was kind of fun. I was painfully shy as a teenager. Very serious. He always got me laughing.

Then there was Carl, a tiny little guy, another hairdresser, who wore wigs. All of these men were married to women, somehow managing to deal with wives and kids. Not one of them referred to themselves as homosexual in my presence, yet clearly you'd never have thought Carl would be married to a woman.

Last edited:
Having my sister graduate as a home school student was really kind of sad. She was the only one in her graduating class (they did a ceremony at church.)

My daughter in law is thinking of homeschooling her kids.
She would be great at it...but i also think the kids miss out on so much.

Having my sister graduate as a home school student was really kind of sad. She was the only one in her graduating class (they did a ceremony at church.)

My daughter in law is thinking of homeschooling her kids.
She would be great at it...but i also think the kids miss out on so much.

That is SO "six of one, half a dozen of the other." Being a kid in the public school system can be hellish, these days and no; I don't buy that it was just as bad when we were kids.

Also on the positive side, she can socialize the kids with other homeschooling families. :)

And of course there's church.

Not sure I should start another poll so fast - but what kind of school were you from? I was small town, graduating class of 130. AND 95% of them had been together since kindergarten.

We moved there when I was 14. Oh, what fun.

I live in the same town i grew up in (although there were several years i was away). In fact after both my parents passed in the 90's we bought my old homestead where i was born & raised, my dad built the house in the late 40's.

My high school class was the largest one ever, i believe there were about 240 kids. And yes...many went to school together since kindergarten. I went to a little 2 room country school up through 6th grade, then we all had to go to "town". :) I was in high school during the "hippies" 60's...but i was never into much of that. I never tried pot until i was close to 30!

Nothing that occurred in high school matters five minutes after you graduate.

I would never go to a high school reunion. None of the kids I hung with would go and I wouldn't know anyone else.

I would never go to a high school reunion. None of the kids I hung with would go and I wouldn't know anyone else.

I went to my first high school reunion last summer....it was my 40TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I decided i'd do it. What helped too was i have Facebook (of course) and someone set up a facebook page for our reunion. So others joined and we were able to actually see what everyone looks like now. So when we went to the reunion, most of them i didn't have to look at name tags to know!! Lol! But i had sooooo much fun. People change...and i was very impressed with some, had a lot of fun with people that i probably wouldn't have talked to in school, and was surprised at some that i THOUGHT would have gone far and didn't. Lol! I was really glad i went...........

I went to my first high school reunion last summer....it was my 40TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I decided i'd do it. What helped too was i have Facebook (of course) and someone set up a facebook page for our reunion. So others joined and we were able to actually see what everyone looks like now. So when we went to the reunion, most of them i didn't have to look at name tags to know!! Lol! But i had sooooo much fun. People change...and i was very impressed with some, had a lot of fun with people that i probably wouldn't have talked to in school, and was surprised at some that i THOUGHT would have gone far and didn't. Lol! I was really glad i went...........

Good for you. I had one HS friend look me up and it terrified me.

Forum List

Back