High Noon

I think the movie was overrated as a Great Western
Most characters were pretty cartoonish

Gary Cooper just played Gary Cooper

Gary Cooper was not the greatest of actors ditto John Wayne.
Both had great appeal to movie goers due to their screen persona as did Jimmy Stewart, James Dean, and Brando. This doesn't have much do with acting ability but rather the ability to present a consistent persona that most movie goers like. As much as I like Stewart, I don't consider him a great actor. In all his movies, he plays Jimmy Stewart. Instead of Stewart becoming his charter, the character becomes Stewart. Much the same thing can be said about John Wayne. He made over 75 movies and played John Wayne in almost everyone of them.

To me a great actor is a performer who can take on a wide variety of roles and create unique character in each of role. For example, Dustin Hoffman, in Rain Main, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Tootsie, Little Big Man and Kramer vs Kramer. He brings his charters to life with their own unique personalities. So when you watch these movie you see Dorothy Michaels, "Ratso" Rizzo, Benjamin Braddock, or Raymond not Dustin Hoffman, an actor know for his irascible behavior on the set, indecisive, a perfectionist that is never satisfied with anything, and a supporter of radical causes.
Stewart and Wayne were comforts to viewers. That is part of the popularity package. I never thought of Hoffman as that good. Unique characters maybe. But forgettable ones also. For they certainly play John Wayne movies more then Hoffman movies a lot more on cable TV.

It's pretty rare to see a movie about the "Old West" that comes anything close to reality. Gun fights on the streets as depicted in movies were rare. No lawman in his right mind walked down the middle of a street to face off against a fast gun. Wyatt Earp when asked what is the best way to shoot a man. He replied, "In the back of course."

lol something like that was made into a scene on the old TV western Maverick; he was being followed around by some young easterner who had read about him and thought him a hero, and when Maverick got called out by some outlaw in a saloon, he told the kid to hide by the door and watch in case the outlaw came back in the saloon while he was going to sneak around behind him and see if he could get a shot him from behind. The kid was shocked, of course, and of course after learning how it was really done became disillusioned with his hero. It was a good episode, and a good series considering it was TV.
"Unforgiven" is a great movie. Eastwood was a genius, playing on the history of his past characters in the mind of the audience. So many elements were masterfully woven; fake news (the biographer), gun control, vindictive women, sadistic (toxic) men, the difficulty of shedding one's past and deep nature, the power of friendship...
Truly great.
Unforgiven was good but I liked Eastwood as Josey Wales better. He learned a lot how to make Westerns from those spaghetti ones he did.

Both had great appeal to movie goers due to their screen persona as did Jimmy Stewart, James Dean, and Brando. This doesn't have much do with acting ability but rather the ability to present a consistent persona that most movie goers like. As much as I like Stewart, I don't consider him a great actor. In all his movies, he plays Jimmy Stewart. Instead of Stewart becoming his charter, the character becomes Stewart. Much the same thing can be said about John Wayne. He made over 75 movies and played John Wayne in almost everyone of them.

To me a great actor is a performer who can take on a wide variety of roles and create unique character in each of role. For example, Dustin Hoffman, in Rain Main, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Tootsie, Little Big Man and Kramer vs Kramer. He brings his charters to life with their own unique personalities. So when you watch these movie you see Dorothy Michaels, "Ratso" Rizzo, Benjamin Braddock, or Raymond not Dustin Hoffman, an actor know for his irascible behavior on the set, indecisive, a perfectionist that is never satisfied with anything, and a supporter of radical causes.
Stewart and Wayne were comforts to viewers. That is part of the popularity package. I never thought of Hoffman as that good. Unique characters maybe. But forgettable ones also. For they certainly play John Wayne movies more then Hoffman movies a lot more on cable TV.
More people eat potato chips than foie gras.

Imagine "High Noon" remade with Jack Nicholson at the time of 'Chinatown' as marshal and Gary Oldman of "Leon" era as vengeful convict.

High Noon didn't represent the reality of the 'Old West'; I would agree with Wayne that it was 'un-American' in the sense that it didn't represent the typical western town and the values that prevailed in an essentially lawless era, and I generally hate Wayne's ridiculously bad movies. People stuck together much more than they would in a typical 'settled' eastern city. It was a matter of necessity; small tax base, one sheriff for an entire county, which could be a huge area in western territories. Vigilante posses were the norm, and despite all the bad press they get in modern times were very effective and few they hung were innocent victims.

A much more accurate movie scene of the American West would be from the movie Dillinger actually, when the character played by Harry Dean Stanton runs out of gas in the little town and gets shot to death by the locals. Never look to Hollywood for an accurate historical portrayal of life in the West. One should also note that the majority of westerners in some periods and regions were not even native to the U.S., but were immigrants from South America, Australia, and Europe, especially during the gold rushes, so at least half of any citizens in any western supposed to have taken place after 1840 should have a foreign accent, and sound much more like Tommy than Gary Cooper, especially the violent outlaws.

I still like the movie, and Gary Cooper's portrayals in general, but I can do that without having to take the movie content itself as real history or any sort of link to reality.
It's pretty rare to see a movie about the "Old West" that comes anything close to reality. Gun fights on the streets as depicted in movies were rare. No lawman in his right mind walked down the middle of a street to face off against a fast gun. Wyatt Earp when asked what is the best way to shoot a man. He replied, "In the back of course."

John Wayne's depiction of the Old West was pure fiction. It was as phony as the "Code of the West" which was created on the silver screen. The real drama that most people faced on the frontier was the fight against the weather, disease, poverty, and ever present loneliness. This was not exciting enough for the Dime novelist and early movie makers so they created a fantasy version of the West.
Reality is overvalued. Unforgiven would have been a better movie if it hadnt been so downbeat. Every era puts its own stamp on the story through clothing, hairstyles, and language.
For me the west is a place to escape and live the dream. I would have joined Wayne on his quest in the Searchers and stood by Will Kaine in High Noon, would have followed Shane to the crack of doom. Would have liked working at the High Chaparral or Shiloh as well.

Bringing in the herd, fixing fences on the south pasture, into town on Saturday night. Beef and beans and coffee always on the go. What a life - in theory.

My generation was brought up on these films. The next generation was brought up on Star Wars which was basically westerns in space. Dont know what those kids dream of.
Don't get me wrong, the fantasy version of the old west can be very entertaining. The problem occurs when people start mistaking fantasy for fact. The idea of the American West was created to glorify the American people, especially white American men. And most of these ideas have made their way into popular icons and themes created by the media through film. The idea of the American West avoids all of the contradictory parts of history such as Native American enslavement and driving them out of their lands, Women’s rights, and acceptance vigilante justice.

Last edited:

John Wayne is a screen personality. He made of over 75 movies and played John Wayne in everyone of them. That is not acting.

As Lee Strasberg said to Bobby Lewis the first time he saw him in a play, "That's not acting, it's presenting."

I always thought Hoffman was overrated. Especially in the 70s and 80s. It seemed he tried too hard and his acting was forced. Rain Man was like Forrest Gump.....A character any 12 year old could imitate

That’s because potato chips go better with dip

That’s because potato chips go better with dip
...and so many people are 'dippy' (remember that term?);

I always thought Hoffman was overrated. Especially in the 70s and 80s. It seemed he tried too hard and his acting was forced. Rain Man was like Forrest Gump.....A character any 12 year old could imitate
Hoffman was/is good, but we agree that he tried too hard. Reminds me of another acting story. According to hearsay, Olivier asked him why he went running so long every time before a take for a scene in "Marathon Man" (it took a great deal of shooting time while everyone else sat around waiting). Hoffman replied that it was to prepare and get really into the character of someone running for his life. Olivier looked at him, somewhat perplexed, and said, "Why don't you just act it?"

Last edited:
If "Marshal" Romney runs for President as a Democrat, the next election could be a "High Noon" moment.
Grace Kelly's part played by the 'liberals'.

I liked John Wayne in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

I'm not a big fan of Westerns, the only ones I like are the Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns and also Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter" and Sergio Leone's "Once Upon A Time In The West", I can watch "Shane" also.

I can watch John Wayne in the Detective films he made "McQ" and "Brannigan"

I watched "McQ" again last night, not seen it for several years but my above post reminded me of it and so I watched it again. It was made in 1974 and also stars Eddie Albert. John Wayne plays Det. Lt. Lon McHugh who is sort of a Harry Callaghan-esque Rogue Cop *, the whole film takes place in Seattle.

* "Dirty Harry" (1971) and "Magnum Force" (1973) are of course each 100% superior to "McQ"

Here is the original trailer:

McQ - Wikipedia

I have heard of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" but never seen it and so I'll put it on my list of to watch. It obviously has an interesting cast with James Stewart, Edmond O'Brien, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin, Lee Van Cleef, John Carradine and Woody Strode.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Wikipedia

/—-/ Gene Pitney’s version of The Man who Shot Liberty Valance is my favorite western song. I don’t know why it wasn’t used in the movie.

An existential message in "High Noon" is that everyone faces decisive moments alone. As events unraveled, unforeseen elements played a role, but he thought he was isolated, and was.
That wasn't the message of the film, but the idea carried over.

I have heard of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" but never seen it and so I'll put it on my list of to watch. It obviously has an interesting cast with James Stewart, Edmond O'Brien, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin, Lee Van Cleef, John Carradine and Woody Strode.

Best Western I have ever seen

A western worth watching.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back