High Noon

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
On TV last night. I must have seen this film 100 times. Its pretty downbeat stuff and most of the characters are worthless and cowardly.

John Wayne fell out with Gary Cooper over the final scene when Marshall Will Kane took off his badge and threw it in the dirt. Wayne felt it was anti American because the badge was a symbol of the US.

I think Fred Zinneman was on a blacklist at one time, a great director.

I dont see it as an American story as such. I could see this playing out in any part of the world. People generally want a quiet life and will always find a reason to not put themselves on offer.

Grace Kelly as well.

10/10

I think the movie was overrated as a Great Western
Most characters were pretty cartoonish

Gary Cooper just played Gary Cooper

It's not one of my favorite westerns. But then, I prefer Randolph Scott.

On TV last night. I must have seen this film 100 times. Its pretty downbeat stuff and most of the characters are worthless and cowardly.

John Wayne fell out with Gary Cooper over the final scene when Marshall Will Kane took off his badge and threw it in the dirt. Wayne felt it was anti American because the badge was a symbol of the US.

I dont see it as an American story as such. I could see this playing out in any part of the world. People generally want a quiet life and will always find a reason to not put themselves on offer.

Grace Kelly as well.

10/10

The casting of Grace Kelly very bizarro, Grace Kelly is so un-Western film material. This film "High Noon" was the first film that Lee Van Cleef was in.

Grace Kelly as well.

10/10

The casting of Grace Kelly very bizarro, Grace Kelly is so un-Western film material. This film "High Noon" was the first film that Lee Van Cleef was in.
Agree

Kelly is a High Society Girl

Love Lee Van Cleef, he is a scene stealer

Grace Kelly as well.

10/10

Agree

It's that leer. Better than Nicholson's.

I think the movie was overrated as a Great Western
Most characters were pretty cartoonish

Gary Cooper just played Gary Cooper

Gary Cooper was not the greatest of actors ditto John Wayne.

I liked John Wayne in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

I'm not a big fan of Westerns, the only ones I like are the Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns and also Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter" and Sergio Leone's "Once Upon A Time In The West", I can watch "Shane" also.

I can watch John Wayne in the Detective films he made "McQ" and "Brannigan"

Grace Kelly as well.

10/10

Agree

Lee Van Cleef was great yes, he had a very sinister look about him, very menacing on screen.

"High Noon" set the stage for the so-called anti-hero surge. Throwing away the badge was a big symbol of rejecting a society that was hypocritical and devoid of honor.
Too bad we never learn from movies (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, for an early, powerful example).

Grace Kelly as well.

10/10
Not, your typical western, high tension but not a lot of action. High Noon is generally considered an allegory against blacklisting and McCarthism, but it gained respect in the conservative community. It has been cited as a favorite by several US presidents, Dwight Eisenhower screened the film at the White House, and Bill Clinton hosted a record 17 White House screenings. "It's no accident that politicians see themselves as Gary Cooper in High Noon," Clinton said. "Not just politicians, but anyone who's forced to go against the popular will. Any time you're alone and you feel you're not getting the support you need, Cooper's Will Kane becomes the perfect metaphor. Ronald Reagan cited High Noon as his favorite film, due to the protagonist's strong commitment to duty and the law. John Wayne hated the film. He said it was "the most un-American thing I've ever seen in my whole life", and later teamed with director Howard Hawks to make Rio Bravo in response. "I made Rio Bravo because I didn't like High Noon," Hawks explained. "Neither did Duke [Wayne]. I didn't think a good town marshal was going to run around town like a chicken with his head cut off asking everyone to help. And who saves him? His Quaker wife. That isn't my idea of a good Western." Duke of course saw the old west as a time when men were men and women were women and they behaved as such.

High Noon - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Grace Kelly as well.

10/10

I liked this one a lot better.

John Wayne got the movie 'Rio Lobo' made as a counter to 'High Noon'... a brave sheriff, with the support of the townspeople, in a stand off against thugs trying to free his murderous prisoner.

Dean Martin's character is redeemed in the end by taking a brave stand.

In a famous Middle Eastern story, not a Western, one man stands up for individual, spiritual freedom against vicious materialism and is assassinated by the state. He died alone, betrayed by followers, and the perpetrators went on to riches and glory for centuries more. A sad and tormenting tale.
Ironically, that man is remembered more than anyone else from his age.
The bravado and machism of fake personalities does not inspire us in the same way.
The meek, in this case, certainly do inherit the world.

Forum List

Back