Hi, I'm new here. A refugee.

welcome_076.gif

Hi, hope you enjoy posting here. Come over to the bar and you'll get a free drink just for being a Noob, and you'll get to meet some nice people.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/8742233-post1.html

Or just click on to my Cheers sign below....

What is a Noob?

I'm not familiar with this term.

welcome. and the rule against discussing other boards is about spam/adverts and to avoid interboard wars.

you'll like it here.

Welcome Runaway. I've been here nearly a year. It's ok usually.

I try to add a bit of color in the FLAME area. Every few months I give a Dumbass Award, and I wll soon give another. I ask for advice and discussion, then I make a decision. I happen to be conservative and honest, so liberal hate my opinions. A sense of humor helps around here.

There are several good people from other forums. Like Marianne, I am perm banned on another forum, and it appears several are in that category which is likely their method of closing. Again, welcome.

I try to add a bit of color in the FLAME area. Every few months I give a Dumbass Award, and I wll soon give another. I ask for advice and discussion, then I make a decision. I happen to be conservative and honest, so liberal hate my opinions. A sense of humor helps around here.

There are several good people from other forums. Like Marianne, I am perm banned on another forum, and it appears several are in that category which is likely their method of closing. Again, welcome.

Thank you for responding. I am just looking around and trying to see how all the functions work on this site. A little different than what I am use to, but I am figuring it out.

I've only posted on one other site, but I've been posting there for more than a decade and have been quite outspoken and either liked or hated.

Some of the things that I have noticed here are.

Reps. What is that all about? I see bias and prejudice in giving Reps. It reminds me of High School. You get scored on what? Popularity, being an idiot, leaning left or right, staying in the middle and saying all the correct things? Would not the score depend on how many people you have here with a bias?

The other thing that I see here is. There is a lot of corrupt software floating around here.

When I logged on yesterday. My security software was going off like a "Roman Candle".

I was getting hit by some malware about every two minutes. I got hit eleven times. I had to log out.

I was thinking about upgrading, but I'm going to just look around for awhile.

So someone explain Reps to me.

Does it depend on where you post? Friendly ground or behind enemy lines?

If you stay or post on a thread where everybody agrees with you. You score Reps.

If you post on thread with a contrary point of view. You don't.

Have you ever watched the movie "Lord Of The Flies"?

Lord of the Flies is a 1954 dystopian novel by Nobel Prize-winning English author William Golding about a group of British boys stuck on an uninhabited island who try to govern themselves with disastrous results. Its stances on the already controversial subjects of human nature and individual welfare versus the common good earned it position 68 on the American Library Association’s list of the 100 most frequently challenged books of 1990–1999.[2] The novel is a reaction to the youth novel The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne.

If you stay or post on a thread where everybody agrees with you. You score Reps.

Lord of the Flies is a good analogy for this place.

Rep is the single most important thing you can have on USMB. It's more important than breathing. Accumulate as much as possible and your self-esteem will soar. Fail to do so will be evidence of your failure as a human being.

Thank you for responding. I am just looking around and trying to see how all the functions work on this site. A little different than what I am use to, but I am figuring it out.

I've only posted on one other site, but I've been posting there for more than a decade and have been quite outspoken and either liked or hated.

Reps. What is that all about? I see bias and prejudice in giving Reps. It reminds me of High School. You get scored on what? Popularity, being an idiot, leaning left or right, staying in the middle and saying all the correct things? Would not the score depend on how many people you have here with a bias?

The other thing that I see here is. There is a lot of corrupt software floating around here.

When I logged on yesterday. My security software was going off like a "Roman Candle".

I was getting hit by some malware about every two minutes. I got hit eleven times. I had to log out.

Where did you see bias and prejudice regarding rep? It's mostly private.....for a noob you've gotten around pretty quick if you've already picked up on that........hmmmmm!

Good morning and welcome Runaway. Hope you find a niche here at USMB. For most of us it is pretty much what we make it. The folks who want a pleasant experience usually find that somewhere. And those who prefer to, shall we say mix it up?, can find that too. Every once in awhile you can even find a decent discussion on an interesting topic, but you might have to look harder for that in a number of the forums.

Just remember that people here are pretty much like people everywhere--nice ones, pricks, pleasant, idiots, reasonable and biased--and everything in between. :)

Good morning and welcome Runaway. Hope you find a niche here at USMB. For most of us it is pretty much what we make it. The folks who want a pleasant experience usually find that somewhere. And those who prefer to, shall we say mix it up?, can find that too. Every once in awhile you can even find a decent discussion on an interesting topic, but you might have to look harder for that in a number of the forums.

Just remember that people here are pretty much like people everywhere--nice ones, pricks, pleasant, idiots, reasonable and biased--and everything in between. :)

Amen.

Spot-on.

Where did you see bias and prejudice regarding rep? It's mostly private.....for a noob you've gotten around pretty quick if you've already picked up on that........hmmmmm!

Your Question: Where did I see predudice and bias?

All I needed to do is read some of the post, look at how long someone as been around and then see how many Reps they have.

Not very hard to figure out who and why some have a lot and other less.

Rep is the single most important thing you can have on USMB. It's more important than breathing. Accumulate as much as possible and your self-esteem will soar. Fail to do so will be evidence of your failure as a human being.

I see that you post or have posted quite a lot and that you've been around awhile, but you have very few Reps.

Please explain.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've spent some time just going around to many of the different forums and have read many of the threads (post).

You are right. Not mant true discussions or decent debates that aren't a joke or contentious.

I'll keep looking.

I see that you post or have posted quite a lot and that you've been around awhile, but you have very few Reps.

Please explain.

Toro is very well liked and respected.. His rep situation is because of taking an option on some property in the USMB BadLands that HE THOUGHT was gonna get a Highway bypass and it didn't pan out..

Dont worry about rep.. The stuff is counterfeited in the basement legally. You CAN opt out in the User Settings and not be a part of it. Think of heavy USMB rep like Mardi Gras beads.
THAT'S how you get it mostly.. In the morning -- you won't remember how you got them.

Please explain.

Toro is very well liked and respected.. His rep situation is because of taking an option on some property in the USMB BadLands that HE THOUGHT was gonna get a Highway bypass and it didn't pan out..

Dont worry about rep.. The stuff is counterfeited in the basement legally. You CAN opt out in the User Settings and not be a part of it. Think of heavy USMB rep like Mardi Gras beads.
THAT'S how you get it mostly.. In the morning -- you won't remember how you got them.

So,

Reps are worthless unless you are willing to make a compromise and given in to someone elses values?

Did I read what you said correctly?

Forum List

Back