Hi. Any Genesis fans out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogmaphobe

I prefer CD's. I think all that stuff about the sound quality of albums is a lot of bunk. Also, I've never heard any Steve Hacket solo stuff. Though I did listen to an album of a band that he and one of my favorite guitarists formed called GTR. (Which is an abbreviation of guitar) The other guitarist was Steve Howe from Yes. Who is one of the best in my opinion. I didn't care much for GTR. Their music was a little too commercial for me. But one day I happened to catch GTR live on the radio. It was as if they did the same thing Yes did with their live album Yessongs. They unleashed the musical dogs of war and kicked ass. Having hung around musicians a lot, I know what the difference is between average ability and outstanding ability. On the live GTR thing, both Steve Howe and then Steve Hacket did guitar solos. To my astonishment, Steve Hacket did a little better than Steve Howe! Just from listening to Genesis, I would have never guessed that he was in fact such an outstanding guitarist.

San Souci

You're missing a lot. If I was to recommend one Genesis album, it would be Foxtrot. For as good as they are musically, their lyrics are equally as good in a poetic-philosophical sense. And their song off it called "Can-utility and the coastliners" was about a Danish warrior king named King Cnut (Or Canute).

Dogmaphobe

I prefer CD's. I think all that stuff about the sound quality of albums is a lot of bunk. Also, I've never heard any Steve Hacket solo stuff. Though I did listen to an album of a band that he and one of my favorite guitarists formed called GTR. (Which is an abbreviation of guitar) The other guitarist was Steve Howe from Yes. Who is one of the best in my opinion. I didn't care much for GTR. Their music was a little too commercial for me. But one day I happened to catch GTR live on the radio. It was as if they did the same thing Yes did with their live album Yessongs. They unleashed the musical dogs of war and kicked ass. Having hung around musicians a lot, I know what the difference is between average ability and outstanding ability. On the live GTR thing, both Steve Howe and then Steve Hacket did guitar solos. To my astonishment, Steve Hacket did a little better than Steve Howe! Just from listening to Genesis, I would have never guessed that he was in fact such an outstanding guitarist.
Dogmaphobe

Howe's guitar work on Gates of Delerium is absolutely amazing.

San Souci

You're missing a lot. If I was to recommend one Genesis album, it would be Foxtrot. For as good as they are musically, their lyrics are equally as good in a poetic-philosophical sense. And their song off it called "Can-utility and the coastliners" was about a Danish warrior king named King Cnut (Or Canute).
I come from a different era. I think Grateful Dead. Doors. Byrds. Jefferson Airplane. The Who. Jimi. Blood sweat and tears. Get the picture?

San Souci

You should expand your brain by listening to Genesis. Besides, they put out their first album in 1969. That would be withing the time frame that you are speaking of. Nursery Crime and Foxtrot are probably my favorite Genesis albums. Though they have done a LOT of other good stuff.

Dogmaphobe

GTR insanely overused digital reverb.

Synthaholic

You shouldn't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to.
Oh, I definitely want to know the answer. I like to know who the racists and dirtbags are on this site.
I think looking in the mirror for 20 minutes and being very honest with yourself would reveal the racist and dirt bag you so seek here.

Here is what you will probably see...............

Synthaholic

You shouldn't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to.
Oh, I definitely want to know the answer. I like to know who the racists and dirtbags are on this site.
I think looking in the mirror for 20 minutes and being very honest with yourself would reveal the racist and dirt bag you so seek here.

Here is what you will probably see...............

Chester Thompson on Drums.

Genesis was first put to print in 1611BC, that was 3,632 years ago.

Now put yourself in that time frame. A time before the oceans and the American continent had been discovered. Does the information stated below seem a bit out of place for that time frame--?

The Beginning
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.”
7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so.
8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.
9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so.
10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.
11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so.
12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.
14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years,
15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so.
16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth,
18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.
19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.
20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.”
21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.”
23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.
24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so.
25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
27 So God created mankind in his own image,

in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1&version=NIV

The timeline above has been scientifically proven to be true, life did “evolve” as stated. And this evolving process was put to print in 1611 BC or 3,632 years ago. Columbus sailed the ocean blue 529 years ago.

San Souci

You should expand your brain by listening to Genesis. Besides, they put out their first album in 1969. That would be withing the time frame that you are speaking of. Nursery Crime and Foxtrot are probably my favorite Genesis albums. Though they have done a LOT of other good stuff.
Still never heard of 'em/ They probably played second billing to Monkies Concerts.

San Souci

Still never heard of 'em/ They probably played second billing to Monkies Concerts.
You seem almost proud of your ignorance.

You appear to have had only the most cursory interest in music as a teenager and then stopped listening to anything at all after high school.

Dogmaphobe

lots to learn..

Her's a ffw if Facebook is beckoning

Likkmee

Neither of those guys are that great. At least not from anything I've heard. People also rave a lot about Jimi Hendrix. But not even he was all that great. Who do I think are really great guitarists? Alan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Yingwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, etc. etc. etc. There are many really top notch guitarists out there. One of the best I've personally seen was Johnny Winter. Strangely enough, the better a band or a particular musician is, the less likely they are to "make it" and become famous. The main reason is that you don't have to be all that great of a musician to write snappy, popular songs. And there are a whole hell of a lot more average musicians out there than there are really good ones.

Likkmee

Neither of those guys are that great. At least not from anything I've heard. People also rave a lot about Jimi Hendrix. But not even he was all that great. Who do I think are really great guitarists? Alan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Yingwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, etc. etc. etc. There are many really top notch guitarists out there. One of the best I've personally seen was Johnny Winter. Strangely enough, the better a band or a particular musician is, the less likely they are to "make it" and become famous. The main reason is that you don't have to be all that great of a musician to write snappy, popular songs. And there are a whole hell of a lot more average musicians out there than there are really good ones.
One thing you will find on this forum is that those who know the very least about music denigrate the opinions of those who do. I got a good laugh out of the Genesis-Monkeys comparison and now it's Peter Frampton as a guitar great.

The one thing Ii have noticed over the years, is that you can tell the age of the casual music fans by paying attention to who they think is the greatest. They always list those who they listened to when in their late teens, or perhaps early twenties as that was the time in their life when they were most interested in music. Right off hand, I would say that Likkme is most likely a little younger than me and San Souci just a bit older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back