• Veterans of Foreign Wars

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • American Legion

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Just wondering (as I get older and older ;) ) which is better? I always viewed the VFW as being a little better than the Legion. Being a GW 1 Vet, I can join the VFW, but I am afraid I would be outta place with all the Vietnam Vets around. Our little 100 hour ground war ain't crappola compared to what those guys went through..... kinda makes you feel a bit outta place......

Originally posted by freeandfun1
Just wondering (as I get older and older ;) ) which is better? I always viewed the VFW as being a little better than the Legion. Being a GW 1 Vet, I can join the VFW, but I am afraid I would be outta place with all the Vietnam Vets around. Our little 100 hour ground war ain't crappola compared to what those guys went through..... kinda makes you feel a bit outta place......

Let's try this again.....

You should do what you want free. I don't know a whole lot about these things,but My stepgrandpa was in the Marines during WW2(never went to active duty),but he and my granny used to go to the VFW. Your a vet and served our country. Your service is just as important as anyone elses.

:clap: :clap1: :clap: :clap1: :clap1:

Originally posted by -=d=-
Anyone who's done a stint in Korea is VFW-eligable... :)

Is that right? I've tried to join both organizations and was told that becasue I never saw combat, I was not eligilbe. I cam in at the end of Viet Nam and left just prior to the Gulf War. I did two tours in the ROK in between.

Originally posted by HGROKIT
Is that right? I've tried to join both organizations and was told that becasue I never saw combat, I was not eligilbe. I cam in at the end of Viet Nam and left just prior to the Gulf War. I did two tours in the ROK in between.

Korea does not qualify one for VFW. All veterans are eligible for the American Legion though....

Korea does not qualify one for VFW. All veterans are eligible for the American Legion though....

hmmm...you sure 'bout that?

Their app gave times of service for eligibility and they all coincidentally covered war time periods. I'll have to check again.

hmmm...you sure 'bout that?

Their app gave times of service for eligibility and they all coincidentally covered war time periods. I'll have to check again.

war time service is the key. korea has not been considered a war zone since, i believe, something like 1970 or 1972. not sure, but has been quite some time now.

Yes it's right. :) Somebody lied to you, bro...I think I joined VFW already...One tour in ROK = Tour in a combat zone, as there has never been a treaty.

Here's a snippit from the eligiabilty guide: http://www.vfw.org/pdf/eligibility.pdf

war time service is the key. korea has not been considered a war zone since, i believe, something like 1970 or 1972. not sure, but has been quite some time now.

You are mistaken - hence my post right above this one :D

Korea IS still a 'combat zone'...

You are mistaken - hence my post right above this one :D

Korea IS still a 'combat zone'...

then why no combat pay, no CIB and no combat patch? spent three years stationed at Camp Greaves/Howze/Liberty Bell as an infantryman and didn't get any of the before mentioned.

Maybe VFW views it as a combat zone, but the US Gov't/DOD does not.

then why no combat pay, no CIB and no combat patch? spent three years stationed at Camp Greaves/Howze/Liberty Bell as an infantryman and didn't get any of the before mentioned.

But the topic ISN'T what the US Gov't views it as...it's what VFW views it as. :)

Combat pay is related to actually being 'shot at'...while SOME US forces certianly get shot at from time to time by the N. Koreans, it's only a 'cease fire' agreement keeping the 'peace'.

:)

I had to look closely as I was Air Force and apparently we don't rank much :D

Howver, second page bottom right gives a broad definition of the Korean Peninsula with required documentation.

cool, who knew? Thanks -=d=-.

I had to look closely as I was Air Force and apparently we don't rank much :D

Howver, second page bottom right gives a broad definition of the Korean Peninsula with required documentation.

cool, who knew? Thanks -=d=-.

I joined VFW today, actually, via their online application. I'll letcha know how things turn out; what stuff they send me, etc.

lol :)

We had a rather un-politically correct name for those 'garrison caps'....

lol

so did we. it was really funny if you put it over your face and then breathed in and out real hard.

got my flace slapped over it one time.

Forum List

Back