Hey Guys, Your Time Has Returned! Really!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1737856,00.html

Future perfect: how to be a 'real' man again
Carol Midgley
Women rule says Michael Buerk, and feminism is triumphant at home, at work, even in TV ads. The woman who coined the word 'metrosexual' explains how men can reclaim their masculinity, and we publish an extract from her new book
WHO’D be one of you, eh chaps? Let’s be honest, your CV these days is hardly enviable. Outperformed by girls at school, emasculated by women at home and at work, shockingly dislocated from your emotions and the hapless joke figure in endless TV commercials and sitcoms whose message is that females rule and men are fools.

Well wise up, because apparently it’s time to say enough is enough; the ridicule of men must stop. The pendulum of power has swung too far into the female corner and you must stand up and assert your right to masculinity. Stop apologising for it, be comfortable with it, but while you’re at it try to embrace a few female traits such as compromise, communication and learning to multitask.

It is called M-ness and it is The Future of Men — at least according to one particular woman who has written a book with just this title. Marian Salzman, with her co- authors Ira Matathia and Ann O’Reilly, is the American trendspotter who coined the term “meterosexual” to describe a certain breed of straight, sensitive, modern men who see nothing wrong with exfoliating and going to see a weepy film. Now she has come up with another concept to which all males must apparently subscribe if they wish to reclaim “their space, their sense of worth and even themselves”.

Indeed, she believes the revolution is already under way and that this is the “dawning of the Age of M-ness”.

What’s that being shouted from the bar of the Ferret and Firkin? “What a load of bollocks”? Undeniably there will be plenty of men who will laugh into their pints at the very idea. But Salzman, an executive vice-president at the advertising agency J. Walter Thompson, has serious points to make about where men go from here. Society has changed for ever, she says, so males must adapt if they are to reassert themselves in a world increasingly defined and dominated by femininity.

It is not just men who are fed up with male-bashing. Research shows that women, too, want men to assert themselves as confident, vital, masculine partners. They want “real” men back...

I knew this was coming. That's why I didn't bother shaving my...well anything but my face. I kept spending weekends in the middle of the woods. I kept shooting living things because it was fun. I also think head-butting is probably the coolest thing you can do.

I like guns, vehicles that carry guns, vehicles with large engines, sports, and other manly things. I'm from Arkansas, and I'll be damned if I let NOW neuter me, because I know God made women attracted to men for a reason, and that manly men have been getting chicks for thousands of years. Maybe I'll pass at seeing Steel Magnolias, but if that jerk over there looks at you like that one more time, I'm SOOOOO headbutting him in the face until his nose breaks.

Hobbit said:
I knew this was coming. That's why I didn't bother shaving my...well anything but my face. I kept spending weekends in the middle of the woods. I kept shooting living things because it was fun. I also think head-butting is probably the coolest thing you can do.

I like guns, vehicles that carry guns, vehicles with large engines, sports, and other manly things. I'm from Arkansas, and I'll be damned if I let NOW neuter me, because I know God made women attracted to men for a reason, and that manly men have been getting chicks for thousands of years. Maybe I'll pass at seeing Steel Magnolias, but if that jerk over there looks at you like that one more time, I'm SOOOOO headbutting him in the face until his nose breaks.

:beer: ---I TOLD you to stay away from that chick site !

Society has changed for ever, she says, so males must adapt if they are to reassert themselves in a world increasingly defined and dominated by femininity.

Says "SHE"! Haaaa, BULLSHIT!
I'll keep being me thank you! I'll continue to drop my dirty socks and underwear on the floor, fart in the house and in bed, and always have control of the remote, so get the F over it. I ain't changin!

Truth is, if we change you'll hate it, there'll be nothing to bitch about then, and then, you'll never think you had a minor victory over men ever again. What kind of life is that?

I suspect this woman has never known a REAL man. Just WIMPS.:eek2:

Mr. P said:
Says "SHE"! Haaaa, BULLSHIT!
I'll keep being me thank you! I'll continue to drop my dirty socks and underwear on the floor, fart in the house and in bed, and always have control of the remote, so get the F over it. I ain't changin!

Truth is, if we change you'll hate it, there'll be nothing to bitch about then, and then, you'll never think you had a minor victory over men ever again. What kind of life is that?

I suspect this woman has never known a REAL man. Just WIMPS.:eek2:

I agree--does this woman think that all men have gone metro and have to change back???

dilloduck said:
I agree--does this woman think that all men have gone metro and have to change back???
Well,
Salzman, an executive vice-president at the advertising agency J. Walter Thompson,
and she has a new book...go figure.. ;) I guess the WIMPS of the world will buy into this. What do we call them...ahhhh "Kitty whipped"?LOL

The battle of the sexes is a never ending war to be in control while letting the other side think they're in control. Both sides claim to be winning, but in reality, nobody really knows...except that metrosexuals and those who are obviously "whipped" are losers, along with those chicks who appear on talk shows because they don't know which of their 15+ boyfriends is the father of their child.

Hobbit said:
The battle of the sexes is a never ending war to be in control while letting the other side think they're in control. Both sides claim to be winning, but in reality, nobody really knows...except that metrosexuals and those who are obviously "whipped" are losers, along with those chicks who appear on talk shows because they don't know which of their 15+ boyfriends is the father of their child.

Well said!!! :)

i find it kind of funny...my husband, when we first started dating (about 16/17), was much like what we would call 'metrosexual' with the exception of the appearance-dressing up to him meant tucking his t-shirt into his jeans. He basically went the opposite of what the article states guys are doing. He went from kind of a sissy, to a manly man.

*He then started working in road construction. He drives a dodge 1-ton or a ford f-750 boom truck all day. He prefers driving trucks, but likes to drive cars if they are the right ones.
*He can bench over double what he used to. He does make more of an effort at his appearance if we are going out. He owns 'work jeans and t-shirts'
*I convinced him to grow a goatee, because it makes him look less like a teenager--i don't want people to think I'm robbing the cradle. Plus, without it, he looks like his dad, who could be a living, breathing Elmer Fudd with glasses. I joke not.
*He can stand up for himself, as well as for me, to anyone who upsets him or me--even when its his mother. THIS took a while, because of how he was raised.
*He likes to listen to country music every so often, but that was partly from me. I took him to his first country music concert -Garth Brooks-, and he was hooked from there.

I remember a metrosexual guy I knew in law school who was very smart, good looking, and fun. But he dressed with too much attention to detail, and though he wouldn't admit it, I was convinced he got manicures. He spoke softly, and was a male feminist. He cooked a mean pesto from scratch.

He never understood why I couldn't like him as more than a friend. ;) :dunno:

Abbey Normal said:
I remember a metrosexual guy I knew in law school who was very smart, good looking, and fun. But he dressed with too much attention to detail, and though he wouldn't admit it, I was convinced he got manicures. He spoke softly, and was a male feminist. He cooked a mean pesto from scratch.

So he was gay, huh? :)

Bonnie said:
Oh yes you men are definitely in control ;)

Hahahha

Fortunately my wife and I are very much in tune as to the "control" issue.

I do not like being IN CONTROL, or CONTROLLED

but being toooo independent leads to lonliness, so we have a good thing worked out where we give each other lots of control in different areas. By giving control instead of demanding control, we both wind up with just about equal control and have no bitterness or arguements about it.

What a scam though, first write a book telling men how to be, then write another book telling them you were wrong and how to change back. :laugh:

Abbey Normal said:

I see guys who are overly concerned about the tiniest details, making sure every strand of hair is just right, etc, etc. I think they are insecure.

Im kinda the opposite. Although I dont mind making sure I look decent, if its gonna take a lot of work, forget about it

Except I do work to please my wife. She thinks I never heard of shoes before I met her.

A short, impromptu treatise on masculinity and gender roles.

Unkempt is bad. So is smelly, so is uncontrolled jungle body hair.

Waxing is bad, anywhere, unless you're a woman.

If you have a unibrow, and you're a man, do something about it.

Manicures include a hand massage and help you avoid hangnails- possibly the most annoying minor health detail ever; get one if you have the time and money, women and men.

Trucks are trucks. If you need one, drive one. Otherwise, save the gas money and the environment.

Owning and/or using a gun doesn't make you more manly.

If you can't hack it outdoors, you suck. Who did a few mosquito bites hurt?

Brown shoes don't go with black suits. In most cases. If you can't match, ask your wife, she can help.

Learn how to cook. Everyone. At least three or four dishes. And know how to operate a grill.

Eat meat. Unless its against your religion. We're meant to.

Be healthy- I don't care what anyone says, but 'a little pudge' is in no way more desirable than a flat stomach. Having some muscle also helps in a strictly practical sense.

Don't mess with your hair too much. But bust out that comb when you need to look good.

Don't start fights just because someone was checking out your wife. Who cares? Its human nature. If its really blatant and consistant, ask politely for him/her to stop (maybe it was a mindless reaction).

:thewave:

Abbey Normal said:

I would think the fact that he was gay would have made it clear why you couldnt like him:p

Im not even sure what the heck a metrosexual is. i hear about it and im just like that doesnt even make sense.

nakedemperor said:
A short, impromptu treatise on masculinity and gender roles.

Unkempt is bad. So is smelly, so is uncontrolled jungle body hair.

Waxing is bad, anywhere, unless you're a woman.

If you have a unibrow, and you're a man, do something about it.

Manicures include a hand massage and help you avoid hangnails- possibly the most annoying minor health detail ever; get one if you have the time and money, women and men.

Trucks are trucks. If you need one, drive one. Otherwise, save the gas money and the environment.

Owning and/or using a gun doesn't make you more manly.

If you can't hack it outdoors, you suck. Who did a few mosquito bites hurt?

Brown shoes don't go with black suits. In most cases. If you can't match, ask your wife, she can help.

Learn how to cook. Everyone. At least three or four dishes. And know how to operate a grill.

Eat meat. Unless its against your religion. We're meant to.

Be healthy- I don't care what anyone says, but 'a little pudge' is in no way more desirable than a flat stomach. Having some muscle also helps in a strictly practical sense.

Don't mess with your hair too much. But bust out that comb when you need to look good.

Don't start fights just because someone was checking out your wife. Who cares? Its human nature. If its really blatant and consistant, ask politely for him/her to stop (maybe it was a mindless reaction).

:thewave:

Don't take this the wrong way, but who cares what you think makes good on men. We are trying to attract women. not you. So we want to know what the women think. not you:)

Don't take this the wrong way, but who cares what you think makes good on men. We are trying to attract women. not you. So we want to know what the women think. not you:)

That's true... just my two cents. Any women want to back me or correct me?

Forum List

Back