Hey GE how about you guys go fuck yourselves instead?

GE already got bail out funding...... ohhhh, interesting aside.... GE are the parent company of...... (insert drum roll here)....... MSNBC! Ahhhh, now we see why MSNBC are so tanked for Obama.

Sweetie, I don't give a shit who they are a parent company of, they are trying to hold the taxpayers of my state hostage.

That's the price you pay for getting into bed with one company over another. Un-fucking-lucky.

Art, I can make a decent argument that when more than 50% of the top income and payroll and property businesses in my state have each achieved their very own special tax relief from Ohio and the localities where they exist, the state and localities no longer have a tax rate -- they are merely striking deals with each taxpaying business as they appear asking for one, and this distorts the tax code and shifts the tax burden to such a degree that the inequities which result are so grave that this practice is unconstitutional.

Massachusetts and Ohio both have reputations as high tax states (yours has the highest corporate state income tax in the US, for example) and both states need to revise their tax codes so that they can compete more effectively with states reputed to be low in business taxation, such as Wyoming and South Dakota. A business' total tax burden is not merely corporate income tax; it is also wage taxes on payroll, property taxes, special assessments, etc.

Ohio not only taxes corporate and personal income, it allows localities to do so as well. Record keeping and compliance are a total nightmare here for businesses....but in view of our looming budget shortfall of $8 Billion at the state level and God only knows at the local level, I look for all this to just keep getting worse.

Last edited:
Art, I can make a decent argument that when more than 50% of the top income and payroll and property businesses in my state have each achieved their very own special tax relief from Ohio and the localities where they exist, the state and localities no longer have a tax rate -- they are merely striking deals with each taxpaying business as they appear asking for one, and this distorts the tax code and shifts the tax burden to such a degree that the inequities which result are so grave that this practice is unconstitutional.

Massachusetts and Ohio both have reputations as high tax states (yours has the highest corporate state income tax in the US, for example) and both states need to revise their tax codes so that they can compete more effectively with states reputed to be low in business taxation, such as Wyoming and South Dakota. A business' total tax burden is not merely corporate income tax; it is also wage taxes on payroll, property taxes, special assessments, etc.

Ohio not only taxes corporate and personal income, it allows localities to do so as well. Record keeping and compliance are a total nightmare here for businesses....but in view of our looming budget shortfall of $8 Billion at the state level and god only knows at the local level, I look for all this to just keep getting worse.

Actually PA, RI, and MN have higher corporate tax rates and the top bracket for a few others (including Maine, sorry Dive) is higher than MA which has a flat rate but yeah, I hear what you are saying.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/state_corp_income_rates-20100325.pdf

Last edited:
I might could also make the argument that for another state to be seducing away our business by offering low tax rates -- standard -- is unconstitutional enough but striking "special deals" with them is or should be illegal (unconstitutional). I have to say though, I'm far less confident such an argument would succeed.

Ohio cannot survive by fending off South Carolina. We need to be fending off CHINA, India, Vietnam, Japan, etc.

Sweetie, I don't give a shit who they are a parent company of, they are trying to hold the taxpayers of my state hostage.

And huge conglomerates do this quite frequently. Heck the Financials had Boehner doing the crying game in the Congress to have them pass TARP.

Citizens are getting hit on both ends by these "job providers". The capture of our media and the strong arming of our politicians.

General Electric Co. has made an unusual offer to the state: Give us $25 million in tax credits, and we won’t cut any more than 150 positions at our aircraft engine plant in Lynn.

The conglomerate has already cut the Lynn plant’s workforce by 600 jobs and could cut 150 more. But General Electric said that if it receives the state aid to help fund a $75 million retooling of the plant, it would maintain the remaining 3,000 jobs for six years.

Typically the state grants tax breaks to companies that create — not cut — jobs, making the General Electric request unusual. State officials said they cannot recall another case of a company asking for tax subsidies while warning it will continue to reduce employment.

“We’re now having to pay companies not to fire people,’’ said Deirdre Cummings, legislative director of the Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group, a consumer group. “This is throwing economic development subsidies on its head.’’

GE says tax credit would limit Lynn layoffs - The Boston Globe

I realized 4 years ago that this would be the new norm, corporations playing states and cities the same way sports franchises do. "build us a free new stadium or we are moving to Houston".

This is what globalization was destined to ripen into.

Corporations will have all the power nation states and labor will have nearly none.

Forum List

Back