Hey GE how about you guys go fuck yourselves instead?

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
General Electric Co. has made an unusual offer to the state: Give us $25 million in tax credits, and we won’t cut any more than 150 positions at our aircraft engine plant in Lynn.

The conglomerate has already cut the Lynn plant’s workforce by 600 jobs and could cut 150 more. But General Electric said that if it receives the state aid to help fund a $75 million retooling of the plant, it would maintain the remaining 3,000 jobs for six years.

Typically the state grants tax breaks to companies that create — not cut — jobs, making the General Electric request unusual. State officials said they cannot recall another case of a company asking for tax subsidies while warning it will continue to reduce employment.

“We’re now having to pay companies not to fire people,’’ said Deirdre Cummings, legislative director of the Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group, a consumer group. “This is throwing economic development subsidies on its head.’’

GE says tax credit would limit Lynn layoffs - The Boston Globe

The company thinks they have the economic power to make such demands, Art. The taxpayer might could support this. It's sad but I dun see the problem...t'aint illegal for them to ask.

The state doesn't have to give the tax credits.

Quite frankly it's none of the government's business whether or not a company hires or fires people. I can understand why GE asked for the tax credits hell it was worth a shot but the state does not "have to" give GE anything nor should it.

The company thinks they have the economic power to make such demands, Art. The taxpayer might could support this. It's sad but I dun see the problem...t'aint illegal for them to ask.

Sounds to me like they are saying give us $25 million or else. I'd rather they lay off the workers and split the $25 mil up amongst THEM then give in to that shit. Seriously, fuck them.

The state doesn't have to give the tax credits.

Quite frankly it's none of the government's business whether or not a company hires or fires people. I can understand why GE asked for the tax credits hell it was worth a shot but the state does not "have to" give GE anything nor should it.

It's a tax payer hold up. Fuck them.

Sounds to me like they are saying give us $25 million or else. I'd rather they lay off the workers and split the $25 mil up amongst THEM then give in to that shit. Seriously, fuck them.
$25 m divided by 3000 workers is only $8333.33 per worker
you tellin me those 3000 workers make less than that for 6 years of work?

not saying the state should give them that break, just pointing out the numbers

It's $25 million for 150 workers, multiply that number by 20.

GE is one of the major forces behind Global Warming and Health Care legislation.

GE makes those those screw-in florescent bulbs the Dems want to replace incandescent bulbs with.

They also won the contract to provide the computer record keeping system the government will institute as per the new Affordable Health Care bill.

Lately I've seen advertisements for charging stations for electric cars that GE is going to mass produce effectively taking over a large segment of our transportation infrastructure.

What they're doing should be illegal. Dreaming up crisis after crisis just to make a buck.

no, there are 3000 workers at that plant that COULD lose their jobs
150 WILL lose their jobs

no, there are 3000 workers at that plant that COULD lose their jobs
150 WILL lose their jobs

Ah you are correct ... it says wont lay off more than the 150. Regardless it's still blackmail, it's still a corporate hold up of the taxpayer. Fuck them. I doubt it happens but I hope they get a resounding "NO!" from the state.

Get used to this. Business bends Ohio over a chair all the time -- "grant us tax relief or we are leaving". We dun have a tax rate on businesses anymore -- we have a tax menu and the more powerful a business is economically, the more relief they can and do demand.

I dunno where this will end up.

General Electric Co. has made an unusual offer to the state: Give us $25 million in tax credits, and we won’t cut any more than 150 positions at our aircraft engine plant in Lynn.

The conglomerate has already cut the Lynn plant’s workforce by 600 jobs and could cut 150 more. But General Electric said that if it receives the state aid to help fund a $75 million retooling of the plant, it would maintain the remaining 3,000 jobs for six years.

Typically the state grants tax breaks to companies that create — not cut — jobs, making the General Electric request unusual. State officials said they cannot recall another case of a company asking for tax subsidies while warning it will continue to reduce employment.

“We’re now having to pay companies not to fire people,’’ said Deirdre Cummings, legislative director of the Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group, a consumer group. “This is throwing economic development subsidies on its head.’’

GE already got bail out funding...... ohhhh, interesting aside.... GE are the parent company of...... (insert drum roll here)....... MSNBC! Ahhhh, now we see why MSNBC are so tanked for Obama.

GE already got bail out funding...... ohhhh, interesting aside.... GE are the parent company of...... (insert drum roll here)....... MSNBC! Ahhhh, now we see why MSNBC are so tanked for Obama.

Sweetie, I don't give a shit who they are a parent company of, they are trying to hold the taxpayers of my state hostage.

Forum List

Back