Hey, 99 Percenters, You Call This 'Fair'?

If I steal your money and the state refuses to prosecute me, have I committed a crime?

There are actual laws on the books against stealing. You just admitted there are no laws on the books against the so-called "crimes" you are whining about. Not enforcing existing laws is one thing. Prosecuting people for doing something that is perfectly legal is another.
There are also actual laws on the books against control accounting fraud. Phil Gramm enabled Wall Street to profit from that actual crime.

Either they broke the law or they didn't. Which is it?

There are actual laws on the books against stealing. You just admitted there are no laws on the books against the so-called "crimes" you are whining about. Not enforcing existing laws is one thing. Prosecuting people for doing something that is perfectly legal is another.
There are also actual laws on the books against control accounting fraud. Phil Gramm enabled Wall Street to profit from that actual crime.

The broke laws on a scale even more massive that that which occurred after the Savings and Loan looting. The reason they have not been prosecuted is simply the amount of money the 1% donate to the reelection campaigns of Democrats and Republicans.

#527- Try some research instead of Rushcrappe and ignorant "common sense"...

You sure mention Rush a lot. Does he give you a boner or something? :eusa_whistle:

smiley_abzw-1.gif

The broke laws on a scale even more massive that that which occurred after the Savings and Loan looting. The reason they have not been prosecuted is simply the amount of money the 1% donate to the reelection campaigns of Democrats and Republicans.

ROFL! Are you saying the enforcement authorities were bribed? I would imagine if they broke laws then Democrat members of Congress would be complaining about it.

What laws did they break? Can you name the specific statute and what they did that violated it? One suspects the only thing Phill Gramm did is endorse a bill that you don't like. All the others did is make some bad financial decisions and lose a lot of money.

Another kick in the head is that ten percent of New Yorkers pay 71% of the taxes. Guess how much income it takes to crack that ten percent?You don't have to be one of the millionaires or billionaires whom the Divider in Chief loves to vilify. You need not be an evil fat cat making $200,000 -- perish the thought! What's it take to crack the top ten percent in the most expensive city in America? $105,000. Yep, a buck five.[/INDENT][/QUOTE]

Well hey if the "job creators" want more people to share in the tax burden the answer seems fairly simple. All they have to do is give up some of those bonuses and pay everyone at least "a buck five" as you put it. There would be tax paying and smiles all around.

ROFL! Are you saying the enforcement authorities were bribed? I would imagine if they broke laws then Democrat members of Congress would be complaining about it.

What laws did they break? Can you name the specific statute and what they did that violated it? One suspects the only thing Phill Gramm did is endorse a bill that you don't like. All the others did is make some bad financial decisions and lose a lot of money.
Would you imagine your pals Barney and Maxine complaining about frauds that fund their campaigns?

I'm not a lawyer, but Bill Black is and he helped prosecute those responsible for the Savings and Loan frauds, like John McCain and John Glenn.

"As a white-collar criminologist and former financial regulator much of my research studies what causes financial markets to become profoundly dysfunctional. The FBI has been warning of an 'epidemic' of mortgage fraud since September 2004. It also reports that lenders initiated 80% of these frauds.1

"When the person that controls a seemingly legitimate business or government agency uses it as a 'weapon' to defraud we categorize it as a 'control fraud' ("The Organization as 'Weapon' in White Collar Crime.' Wheeler & Rothman 1982; The Best Way to Rob a Bank is to Own One. Black 2005). Financial control frauds' 'weapon of choice' is accounting.

"Control frauds cause greater financial losses than all other forms of property crime -- combined.

"Control fraud epidemics can arise when financial deregulation and desupervision and perverse compensation systems create a 'criminogenic environment' (Big Money Crime. Calavita, Pontell & Tillman 1997.)"

William K. Black: The Two Documents Everyone Should Read to Better... - StumbleUpon

Phil Gramm opened the door wide for that "criminogenic environment."
The only reason he's not in jail is exactly the same reason Barney and Maxine and John aren't locked up.
They serve the interests of the richest one percent of the voters.

Phil Gramm is not in jail because he hasn't broken any actual laws. All you have against him is the fact that he authored and supported a deregulation bill you don't like. The last time I checked, passing legislation in Congress is not a crime.

You also haven't named any actual crimes that those Wall Street executives you whine about committed.

We're still waiting for you to name an actual law that any of these people violated.

Would you imagine your pals Barney and Maxine complaining about frauds that fund their campaigns?

I'm not a lawyer, but Bill Black is and he helped prosecute those responsible for the Savings and Loan frauds, like John McCain and John Glenn.

"As a white-collar criminologist and former financial regulator much of my research studies what causes financial markets to become profoundly dysfunctional. The FBI has been warning of an 'epidemic' of mortgage fraud since September 2004. It also reports that lenders initiated 80% of these frauds.1

"When the person that controls a seemingly legitimate business or government agency uses it as a 'weapon' to defraud we categorize it as a 'control fraud' ("The Organization as 'Weapon' in White Collar Crime.' Wheeler & Rothman 1982; The Best Way to Rob a Bank is to Own One. Black 2005). Financial control frauds' 'weapon of choice' is accounting.

"Control frauds cause greater financial losses than all other forms of property crime -- combined.

"Control fraud epidemics can arise when financial deregulation and desupervision and perverse compensation systems create a 'criminogenic environment' (Big Money Crime. Calavita, Pontell & Tillman 1997.)"

William K. Black: The Two Documents Everyone Should Read to Better... - StumbleUpon

Phil Gramm opened the door wide for that "criminogenic environment."
The only reason he's not in jail is exactly the same reason Barney and Maxine and John aren't locked up.
They serve the interests of the richest one percent of the voters.

Aries Spears: Not a Millionaire
by Comedy Central
I'm at a very frustrating point in my career because I'm not a millionaire. Like, people assume because you're in movies or TV, you're rich. I'm not rich, but I'm far from broke. I'm what you call a 'thousandaire.'

LOL @ the liberal ducking the question!
Are you referring to the question of whether or not control accounting fraud takes place regularly on Wall Street?

You know what question you are ducking, you spineless weasel.

He's trying to say that passing a bill through Congress is an example of "control accounting fraud."

You have to be a special kind of stupid to fall for that line of "reasoning."

LOL @ the liberal ducking the question!
Are you referring to the question of whether or not control accounting fraud takes place regularly on Wall Street?

No, the question is whether Phill Gramm or the Wall Street executives you referred to broke the law. You keep dodging it.
Control frauds cause greater financial losses than all other forms of property crime combined.

Phil Gramm, Bill Clinton, Alan Greenspan and others too numerous to mention conspired to bring about the greatest example of control accounting fraud in history during the inflation of the US housing/credit bubble.

I've already stated that I believe Phil and the "group of five" broke the law prohibiting control fraud.

The facts that I don't have power of subpoena, and those who do aren't interested in investigating, says more about the corruption of the US judicial system than it does about lack of criminal intent.

Are you saying Phil and the "group of five" did NOT break any laws?

No, the question is whether Phill Gramm or the Wall Street executives you referred to broke the law. You keep dodging it.
Control frauds cause greater financial losses than all other forms of property crime combined.

Phil Gramm, Bill Clinton, Alan Greenspan and others too numerous to mention conspired to bring about the greatest example of control accounting fraud in history during the inflation of the US housing/credit bubble.

I've already stated that I believe Phil and the "group of five" broke the law prohibiting control fraud.

The facts that I don't have power of subpoena, and those who do aren't interested in investigating, says more about the corruption of the US judicial system than it does about lack of criminal intent.

You certainly haven't named any laws they broke. Passing a bill through Congress is not "control fraud." You see, congress has the legal authority to pass whatever laws it wishes, even if those laws cause massive bankruptcies. It may be a crime in the ethical sense, but in the legal sense it's perfectly legitimate.

You haven't listed a single law that those Wall Street executives you mentioned broke.

All you've done is vent your dislike for these people. You haven't supported any of your claims.

Oh, and one other thing: you still haven't explained how simply earning $340 million makes you a criminal.

You know, it's ok to stop digging. The hole you are in is deep enough. If you can't support your claim - which you obviously can't - then shut the fuck up already.

But I was taught years ago that the definition of 'opportunity' is 'a chance to work.' But hey, that's just me.

You know...for years, I have wanted out of this profession so badly that I could taste it. And now, with the possibility of it being yanked out from underneath me...I'm heartbroken.

Everytime I think of turning in my turnout gear, I break into tears. But it's time to move on. Perhaps return to school and learn something new. This is all I've known in my adult life.

You would not be the first who has discovered upon the impending loss of a thing that it matters more than they believed. But, you are right, if you look at this as an opportunity - a chance to learn, become, do something new, and maybe even more important than what you are now doing, then you might just find yourself looking forward to, not being sick of course, but to new things. If I might suggest it, make your bucket list. Make it in the order of what you want the most, and then remake it from that in the order of what you can physically and financially do while you are still pysically able. I have pretty much done all the really important biggies. Of course there were more, but the things I REALLY wanted, I have alreay done. I had planned to reread two of the many books I have read in my lifetime. Now, I have reread those. I'm just checking off my list. Finish my house is big and I'm working toward that end. Not much left to do, and I really want to finish it if at all possible. I may have to sell it, but at least I will have finished it. Think. Put time into deciding what you want now in the good days. Then the bad ones won't be so bad. You won't feel so cheated!

You certainly haven't named any laws they broke. Passing a bill through Congress is not "control fraud." You see, congress has the legal authority to pass whatever laws it wishes, even if those laws cause massive bankruptcies. It may be a crime in the ethical sense, but in the legal sense it's perfectly legitimate.

You haven't listed a single law that those Wall Street executives you mentioned broke.

All you've done is vent your dislike for these people. You haven't supported any of your claims.

Oh, and one other thing: you still haven't explained how simply earning $340 million makes you a criminal.
Should I type more slowly?

C-O-N-T-R-O-L F-R-A-U-D is the crime I'm charging.
Wall Street created synthetic financial instruments (derivatives) that enabled the fraud to proceed.
Phil Gramm did his part by "passing a bill through Congress" exempting derivatives from any government regulation.

BTW, I never said anyone earning $340,000,000 a year was a criminal (you did)
I said they are parasites.
They are, and you are too brainwashed to notice.

Forum List

Back