Heroic intern may have saved Congresswoman's life

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Daniel Hernandez had been U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' intern for five days when she was shot Saturday outside Tucson.

The junior at the University of Arizona was helping check people in at the "Congress on Your Corner" event when he heard gunfire. He was about 30 feet from the congresswoman. When the shots began, he ran toward them.
Using his hand, Hernandez applied pressure to the entry wound on her forehead. He pulled her into his lap, holding her upright against him so she wouldn't choke on her own blood. Giffords was conscious, but quiet.

Daniel Hernandez, intern, stays by Gabrielle Giffords' side

Daniel Hernandez had been U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' intern for five days when she was shot Saturday outside Tucson.

The junior at the University of Arizona was helping check people in at the "Congress on Your Corner" event when he heard gunfire. He was about 30 feet from the congresswoman. When the shots began, he ran toward them.
Using his hand, Hernandez applied pressure to the entry wound on her forehead. He pulled her into his lap, holding her upright against him so she wouldn't choke on her own blood. Giffords was conscious, but quiet.

He's definitely the guy you'd want when chaos is breaking out. Very good article.

What an outstanding job this person did.This is someone who's family shares in this heroic deed,someone
who acted bravely and with someone else's need before his own.A wonderful story.A bit of sanity and love for another human in the middle of such a despicable act of pure hatred and evil.

He did more than that. Pretty remarkable. Not too many unarmed people would choose to run towards the gun fire.

A couple of guys also tackled the guy.

How I wish life had more value in this country

Oh my god. :(

Oh my god. :(

Amazing young man I'd say.

He's definitely the guy you'd want when chaos is breaking out. Very good article.

He has a future, I'd guess. I potential leader, or maybe secret service?

Disagreeing with a Left Wing Nut is Hateful. Refusing to submit to a Radical's will is hateful. Didn't you know that? Truth, you do give the Left a bad name by what you do.

Just caught the end of abc news and this intern was interviewed.

He said to her if you understand me Gabby, squeeze my hand and she did. He then said there is an ambulance coming, if you understand that, squeeze my hand and she did.

He said that she is a fighter and he knows she will get through this.

He is a real hero. So are the two who tackled the shooter.

I heard on the news that a woman lunged toward the shooter when she saw he was starting to reload the gun which allowed time enough for two men to pounce on him and keep him down.

I heard on the news that a woman lunged toward the shooter when she saw he was starting to reload the gun which allowed time enough for two men to pounce on him and keep him down.

I didn't hear that one. Wow.

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said that when Loughner ran out of bullets in his first magazine clip, a woman who had already been shot "went up and grabbed" the new magazine "and tore it away from him." Dupnik said the name of the woman was known but he did not share it during the press conference.

After the confrontation with the woman, Loughner was able to load another magazine into his weapon, but "the spring in the magazine failed," Dupnik said, and two men were able to get his weapon away from him and subdue him until law enforcement arrived.

Heroic Woman Charged Jared Loughner, Averting 'Huge Greater Catastrophe'

Last edited:

Forum List

Back