Here's a tip: Don't

And, just one more:

"You can see that tipping promotes and facilitates bad service. It gives servers the choice between doing their best work and making the most money. While most servers choose to do their best work, making them choose one or the other is bad business.
+
By removing tipping from the Linkery, we aligned ourselves with every other business model in America. Servers and management could work together toward one goal: giving all of our guests the best possible experience. When we did it well, we all made more money. As you can imagine, it was easy for us to find people who wanted to work in this environment, with clear goals and rewards for succeeding as a team."

Not so hard to understand after all...

You want to know how much Norway pays McDonald's employees? $15 an hour.

Want to know how much Norway McDonald's charges customers?

jsXOLk6ozdZVQ3D9epY7tKlIz2-0zwihqutKaKVU6z0=w550-h366-no

$16 for a burger. (91 Krone roughly translates to $15.50. Notice, that's not the big mac meal, with a drink and fries. That's just the burger alone)

They have no minimum wage by the way.

Where did the Norway McDonald's get the money to pay the higher wage?

From the customer. McDonald's doesn't have a magic money tree either.

*YOU THE CUSTOMER* will ALWAYS.... pay the tip to the employees. You either do it directly, by choice, when you get good service.... or you do it by force, through higher prices, whether you get good service or not.

Like I said. I'd rather pay the tip only when I get good service. If you'd rather pay the tip regardless of service, that's your choice, but I think it's a bad choice.

There are just over 5 million people in Norway, and only about 73 McDonalds stores. They are justified in charging the high price because there are so few stores, most of which are frequented by tourists, who will pay the high price.

Yeah......... lol.... The reason there are so few stores.... is because the price is so high, few will pay it.

If the local McDonald's increased the cost of a burger to $12, in order to pay employees a new Federal minimum wage of $12, do you think that the same number of people are going to go there as do today?

This isn't that hard. Price goes up, consumption goes down.

If you jack up the minimum wage to the same level as Norway, the number of stores will drop, because fewer people will frequent them, because the prices will be higher.

If the labor rates were lower in Norway, prices would be lower, and they would open more stores, thus providing more employment.

Hey Unk, the Yelp reviews of the Linkery gives it just 3 of 5 stars

If this was so successful, why close? Why not just open a second location?

How much more did the servers make after changing to no tips? The article seems to lack that information.

How much more do the servers make now that he closed? It appears this might just be a fluff piece?

Wow, the more reviews you read about the no tip required linkery the more you don't like the idea.

Seems the Owner is simply a bad operator. I wonder how much of the 18% gratuity he actually just pocketed himself? Can't really tell.

Last edited:
Their reviews are less than stellar.

3 of 5 stars on yelp. Some of the comments are telling.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/the-linkery-san-diego

Seems a lot of people posting comments on the yelp page think adding the 18% gratuity on the bill is a really bad idea.

Yelp is a joke though. Competing stores often make negative comments. You should pretty much ignore yelp.

I'm sure that could be the case, but also true is that the Owner/management also post positives.

What is telling is that the restaurant closed. If you read the article you would think this was highly successful. Highly successful businesses expand, they don't close. Sure, close the current location if the building itself has problems and relocate down the street, but this ones relocating across the State?

Little or no sense.

Also, many of the negative comments came from people who post often on yelp that appear to travel quite a bit. You normally see competitor posts posted by someone who only posts once and never again. Not the case on many, many of these.

Last edited:
Abolish Tipping: It?s bad for servers, customers, and restaurants

"When wealthy Americans brought home the practice of tipping from their European vacations in the late 19th century, their countrymen considered it bribery. State legislatures quickly banned the practice. But restaurateurs, giddy at the prospect of passing labor costs directly to customers, eventually convinced Americans to accept tipping.

We had it right the first time. Tipping is a repugnant custom. It’s bad for consumers and terrible for workers. It perpetuates racism. Tipping isn’t even good for restaurants, because the legal morass surrounding gratuities results in scores of expensive lawsuits.

Tipping does not incentivize hard work. The factors that correlate most strongly to tip size have virtually nothing to do with the quality of service. "

Abolish Tipping: It?s bad for servers, customers, and restaurants

"When wealthy Americans brought home the practice of tipping from their European vacations in the late 19th century, their countrymen considered it bribery. State legislatures quickly banned the practice. But restaurateurs, giddy at the prospect of passing labor costs directly to customers, eventually convinced Americans to accept tipping.

We had it right the first time. Tipping is a repugnant custom. It’s bad for consumers and terrible for workers. It perpetuates racism. Tipping isn’t even good for restaurants, because the legal morass surrounding gratuities results in scores of expensive lawsuits.

Tipping does not incentivize hard work. The factors that correlate most strongly to tip size have virtually nothing to do with the quality of service. "

More puffery. Real life often proves puff pieces wrong. See the yelp comments on your Linkery restaurant.

BBC News - To tip or not to tip... or should it be banned?

"Even though the quality of service doesn't affect tipping, Americans are under the illusion they are tipping on service and like the illusion of being able to reward. "

"It's a net drain on social welfare and our happiness. I think more people tip out of social obligation than tip because they want to, so people are parting with money they would rather keep.

"I don't know people are necessarily consciously aware of this. Most people would deny they tip for avoidance [of disapproval by peers and guilt], they say it's for good service, but I've looked at it and they don't reward good service substantially."

"The custom arrived in the US from Europe in the late 1800s but early in the 20th Century, an anti-tipping campaign gathered pace, driven by the view it was undemocratic and a means to create a servant class."

Dude... where do you think I get the money? Every single penny that I pay them, comes from you.

Great, pay them and leave me out of the salary negotiations.

*YOU THE CUSTOMER* will ALWAYS.... pay the tip to the employees.

No, I'll pay the bill. You pay your employee. Call it a tip, call it a donation, call it a sign of your great esteem for them, I don't care. Just post the price and then pay your people. Leave me out of the rest.

The bill includes the tip dude. I don't know how to explain this any simpler, so that you can grasp this.

YOU ALWAYS pay the tip. ALWAYS. You either do it by choice, or by force.

You want to pay a higher price, and not tip? Fine. There are numerous places that do that.

Most people don't like those places, because the service sucks.

If you do... by all means do so. Go to those places. But even the link to the store you listed.... they don't exist anymore.

Now it's true that many people would like to ban tipping. I agree with that. Many people don't want to tip.

The problem there is, those people think that by banning tipping, that they would pay the same price, and just not have to tip. They think that banning tipping, would save them money.

I'm telling you straight up, that you and those people, are wrong. If you ban tipping, the store would have to pay that amount of the tip, in higher wages.... and that would have to be paid for by higher prices.

Linkery is closed. They banned tipping, and increased wages, and increased prices, and customers stopped going there.

You are going to pay the tip whether you want to or not. You can do so by choice, or by force. Those are your options.

I'm going to keep repeating this truth to you until this thread is closed, because it's the truth. You are ALWAYS part of salary negotiations. Being left out of salary negotiations isn't an option.

Are you just economically illiterate? It is absolutely impossible to leave out the customer from salary negotiations.

Idiot: "Let's pay our employees $50K a year!"

Economist: "But the customers are not willing to pay enough for those kinds of wages"

Idiot: "Let's leave the customer out of our salary negotiations..."

Economist: "yeah... good luck with that"

The end of The Linkery | UTSanDiego.com

The end of The Linkery
North Park mainstay closing after eight years; sister restaurant Hubcap closing also

That whole leaving out the customer from wage considerations seems to have worked extremely well....... I mean, it clearly worked, given they were open for only 6 years on the non-tip system.

By the way, did you actually read how it worked?

Tipless restaurants: The Linkery?s owner explains why abolishing tipping made service better.

A couple of years after opening the Linkery restaurant in San Diego, the team and I adopted a policy of adding to each dining-in check a service charge of 18 percent

HELLO STUPID!!!! YOU PAY THE TIP!

Your own citation PROVES what I have been saying the entire time.

YOU PAY THE TIP.

In a normal restaurant, you do it by choice.

At the Linkery (while it was still open), you do it by force, through them automatically adding 18%.

YOU PAY THE TIP.

Whether you want to or not.

YOU PAY THE TIP!!! What part of this is too hard for you?

This is your own citation, and it proves EXACTLY what I said.

Every business that exists, does not have one penny that doesn't come from you the customer. So you don't pay the tip yourself, and the business pays the tip... it gets that tip from *YOU*.

YOU PAY THE TIP!!

I'll keep repeating this as long as you keep repeating stupidity, until this thread is closed.

Forum List

Back