Dems should love this: Americans push back against ‘tip creep’

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
From self-service fast-food restaurant kiosks to smartphone delivery apps, there are more opportunities to tip for a wider range of services than ever before.

But between the high cost of living and uncertain economy, cash-strapped consumers are starting to tip less — and resent tipping prompts even more.

Fewer consumers now say they “always” tip when dining out compared with last year, according to a new report by Bankrate, or for other services, such as ride-shares, haircuts, food delivery, housekeeping and home repairs.

Sigh, I guess I'm no better.....I'm not tipping for them to get me a glass of water and then I do everything else, especially with a help wanted sign on the door that says starting pay is $15 - $16 an hour.

It's not my problem that their liberal arts degree only gets them a minimum wage job , but SERVICE with a smile and a little personality is beneath them, the surly bastards.

From self-service fast-food restaurant kiosks to smartphone delivery apps, there are more opportunities to tip for a wider range of services than ever before.

But between the high cost of living and uncertain economy, cash-strapped consumers are starting to tip less — and resent tipping prompts even more.

Fewer consumers now say they “always” tip when dining out compared with last year, according to a new report by Bankrate, or for other services, such as ride-shares, haircuts, food delivery, housekeeping and home repairs.

Sigh, I guess I'm no better.....I'm not tipping for them to get me a glass of water and then I do everything else, especially with a help wanted sign on the door that says starting pay is $15 - $16 an hour.
I just returned from a trip to Ireland. Tipping is virtually non-existent there. They figure that the employees are paid by the employer--as all employees are here these days. Our fast food workers in my small town are paid $18-$22/hr. Skilled labor is only paid 2-3 dollars more and they are resentful, and rightfully so. Why tip someone with no skills when you have a trade. I'll keep my money and eat and drink at home. Those jobs won't be around long.

It's not my problem that their liberal arts degree only gets them a minimum wage job , but SERVICE with a smile and a little personality is beneath them, the surly bastards.

I went out tonight with my wife and brother in law. The waitress was young. On the attractive side. And attentive enough.

But the burger order threw her. She needed to “follow the script,” she said, when I (rudely?) told her that I didn’t want the tomato or onion slice before I told her that I prefer medium rare.

I went out tonight with my wife and brother in law. The waitress was young. On the attractive side. And attentive enough.

But the burger order threw her. She needed to “follow the script,” she said, when I (rudely?) told her that I didn’t want the tomato or onion slice before I told her that I prefer medium rare.

SMFH

And don't EVEN try to pay with cash. None of them can make change.

The entitlement for tipping from younger generations, like Zoomers and Millennials, is off the charts. It is extremely annoying when you're asked to tip even before service has been provided. I tip based on the quality of service, the interaction and the created experience: the amount of tip is progressive based on these key aspects of service.

I just returned from a trip to Ireland. Tipping is virtually non-existent there. They figure that the employees are paid by the employer--as all employees are here these days. Our fast food workers in my small town are paid $18-$22/hr. Skilled labor is only paid 2-3 dollars more and they are resentful, and rightfully so. Why tip someone with no skills when you have a trade. I'll keep my money and eat and drink at home. Those jobs won't be around long.
Waiters hone their skills each shift. They deserve $18 - $22 per hour for taking crap from surly customers ....... damn right.

If I go to a small place like my favorite breakfast joint I give those ladies 10 bucks for a 20 dollar meal because they are always genuinely nice to me, know where I like to sit, ask how my grandma is and never rush me.

But I sure as hell won't tip anyone working someplace where they get paid like minimum wage or more. Some kid pouring coffee at Starbucks doesn't deserve shit extra from me and Jesus everywhere you go now people want a tip for every little thing. If I use my credit card at McDonald's they have a tip option, fuck that noise.

Then everywhere asks if I want to donate for charity. Now a lot of places when I buy something online they want to sell me shipping insurance for 1 dollar. Everywhere is trying to reach in my pocket and it pisses me off.

I give 4 or 5 bucks at a restaurant if the wait staff is decent but that's about it. Restaurants keep raising prices and I can't afford to keep paying more and expected to also pay more for tips. It's bad enough I go somewhere and they want me to pay full price for a meal then expect me to pay even more on top of that because they refuse to pay their wait staff a decent wage, I pay their wage when I pay for my meal just like I pay the Amazon delivery persons wage when I buy something from Amazon.

At Supercuts i tip $6 or $4. I want them to want to do me.

I have tipped 2 young delivery guys $50ea or landscapers $50 (Black, white or brown). One guy at work I gave $200 to bring one load from a storage 25 miles in his truck and help me bring it in.

As long as i am working i tip everywhere well. I have no time to deal with everything alone.

Its tough to live anymore in places like CA with $100 fillups, $200 grocery buys, kid costs, $200 utilities. All 2X worse under the illegitimate Obiden kabal.

On a sadder note, i am almost forced to give struggling poor relatives many thousands since Obiden 1 crash and now again under Obiden 2. Yes, i know what it was like in 2010 to almost lose it all, living on a few hundred each week in CA at massive costs. It changed me forever.

Last edited:
Electronic tipping leaves a paper trail and Biden vows to crack down on the poor bastards who depend on tips by doubling IRS agents. Is there a connection?

Waiters hone their skills each shift. They deserve $18 - $22 per hour for taking crap from surly customers ....... damn right.

A truly good waiter does, yes.

And a truly good waiter is about one in two or three hundred. Possibly five hundred.

And they are fought over! They are paid commensurate to their very real skills. A truly good waiter is precious to his/her employer and treated accordingly.

Tell us if you have ever worked in food service, and be prepared with links.

Forum List

Back