Here's a tip: Don't

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Japanese restaurants in New York introduce ban on tipping ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

"In Japan, there’s no custom of tipping. In fact, leaving a tip could potentially be considered rude, as the cost of the service is already supposed to be included in the price you pay. My American buddy’s attempt to follow his home custom in Japan ended in the delivery driver apologising profusely for not accepting the tip! In New York City, meanwhile, Japanese restaurants are bringing the no-tipping custom Stateside, as Restaurant Riki becomes the latest Manhattan establishment to ban their customers from tipping."

If only this would become a growing trend. If only...

Both my son and daugher, tips as waitress and waiter have paid a significant portion of their college costs.
Tipping is a great tradition.

Both my son and daugher, tips as waitress and waiter have paid a significant portion of their college costs.

It's a pain in the ass. Wait staff should just be paid like other workers. Try living in a place with no tipping for a while and you will not be eager to go back to all that nonsense.

Japanese restaurants in New York introduce ban on tipping ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

"In Japan, there’s no custom of tipping. In fact, leaving a tip could potentially be considered rude, as the cost of the service is already supposed to be included in the price you pay. My American buddy’s attempt to follow his home custom in Japan ended in the delivery driver apologising profusely for not accepting the tip! In New York City, meanwhile, Japanese restaurants are bringing the no-tipping custom Stateside, as Restaurant Riki becomes the latest Manhattan establishment to ban their customers from tipping."

And those that do not switch to the no tip method will thrive while the others will stagnate and fail.

In the United States tipping is an incentive to provide good service and up sell. That won't happen where tips are not expected.

It's a pain in the ass. Wait staff should just be paid like other workers. Try living in a place with no tipping for a while and you will not be eager to go back to all that nonsense.

Salespeople work on a commission. It's a proven system that works. Service providers are in the sales business, good ones make a great living, bad ones don't. Maybe paying the good like the bad makes sense to some, probably not to the good ones though

Pain in the ass for you, not for others.
I gladly tip a good waitress/waiter. Equally, I gladly DO NOT tip a sh*tty one.

Salespeople work on a commission. It's a proven system that works. Service providers are in the sales business, good ones make a great living, bad ones don't. Maybe paying the good like the bad makes sense to some, probably not to the good ones though

Yep.
You run a business?
Generally most people don't recognize that wait staff are in sales. And sales are incented by commission and virtually always out earn other departments.

Yep.
You run a business?
Generally most people don't recognize that wait staff are in sales. And sales are incented by commission and virtually always out earn other departments.

Management of one kind or another for 30+ years. Restaurant biz for first 5.

Had some top flight sales people, and that's how addressed them. Several moved on to positions I could never dream of having. I am proud to say I helped them along their paths (even though they did all the hard work)

I like it!

I was in New Zealand back in the early '70s and tipping in a restaurant there was considered an insult to the owner, suggesting that he was not paying his staff enough.

I like it!

I was in New Zealand back in the early '70s and tipping in a restaurant there was considered an insult to the owner, suggesting that he was not paying his staff enough.

Same in Spain. Was there in 2011. No tipping, service sucked and no up selling (except coffee, but the wait for it was incredible)

And those that do not switch to the no tip method will thrive while the others will stagnate and fail.

In the United States tipping is an incentive to provide good service and up sell. That won't happen where tips are not expected.

I disagree with your statement about tipping being an incentive to provide good service. Many servers see low tips as evidence that the tipper is a cheapskate instead of thinking they gave poor service.

I disagree with your statement about tipping being an incentive to provide good service. Many servers see low tips as evidence that the tipper is a cheapskate instead of thinking they gave poor service.

They will fail in the process. Sorry, most people tip for good service. Those that don't are the reason the system hiccups.

I think the key to this is to also provide a bonus program for high performance. It wasn't uncommon back in the day, maybe it went the way of the horse and buggy now.

I agree completely. Mandatory tips especially amount to a simple tax. In the case of optional tips I'm still against it but only because as the article says, you're already paying for the goods or service, paying more doesn't make any sense. Most outlandish idea being tipping a waitperson. That's what they were hired to do, I'm not sure I see how doing it efficiently or accurately amounts to exceptional service worthy of a tip. Do they get un-tipped for bad service? :)

They will fail in the process. Sorry, most people tip for good service. Those that don't are the reason the system hiccups.

I think the key to this is to also provide a bonus program for high performance. It wasn't uncommon back in the day, maybe it went the way of the horse and buggy now.

Most people tip for acceptable service and tip very well for exceptional service.

I'll even tip for poor service if I think it was not the fault of the service staff.

Most people tip for acceptable service and tip very well for exceptional service.

I'll even tip for poor service if I think it was not the fault of the service staff.

Me too...especially when I can see he/she is either overworked due to being understaffed.

I like it!

They don't pay their staff enough. I'd love to see what happens when it becomes the law of the land that restaurant owners lower their prices.

The average wage for wait staff is about $2.50 per hour.
Virtually everyone is aware of this.
People who don't tip are selfish assholes.

The average wage for wait staff is about $2.50 per hour.
Virtually everyone is aware of this.
People who don't tip are selfish assholes.

Absolutely Sir!

Bad service from the wait staff could be something out of their control. My minimum tip is 20% and I inform the waiter that it's in cash and larger if the service is excellent.

I rarely have bad experiences.

Forum List

Back