Here Today, Gone Tomorrow: The Euro

Discussion in 'Europe' started by NATO AIR, Sep 10, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    From FP's excellent latest issue:

Jefferson: Author of America (New York: HarperCollins, 2005).

2. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53

If the author don't like the Euros only because it's a rupture with the past, it shows the weakness of his position...

All the countries abandonned their moneys, France dropped the Franc, used since 200 years. And ? Sad, but if it can be better, well.
    When Napoleon introduce the Franc Germinal as new money, nobody said "oh no, we want to keep our old money instead if this progress".
    Same thig : imagine if we have rejected the metric system in the XVIIIth, to keep the ancient and bad system...only because it is "our identity".

People and countries make evolution. When people want always live in the past, it's dumb.

For the british : I don't know why this guy says " the grand news that he had won the right to keep the visage of Her Majesty the Queen on any British version of the euro bill".

Not a victory, but a normal thing : Belgium, Netherlands, Spain....They have their monrachs' faces on the coins.
    IN Germany they' ve got the Eagle, in France we've for the 1 and 2 euros' coins the Tree of liberty, and for the smaller (0.50 ; 0.20 ............) Marianne.

Each country has a personal side for the coin : one is the EU, with the map, and the other : the face of the Nations. (Austria has Mozart, Greece has the Owl of Athena, Italy the Universal Man of Da Vinci ....................................)

So, it's not a rupture with our past and tradition, but an evolution, with our times, but nobody forget the ancients national moneys.

To me, there is only one bad side witrh the euro : I used to make calculs in Francs, to buy something, during 16 years and a half, and since 3 years : all is changed, you have to count in Euro (1 euro : 6.55957 Franc....)
    ;)

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    PE probably a language thing. Hitchens liked the Euro., the fact that the same money could be used in France and Germany. The point of the article is that the doubters are beginning to look correct. The Euro may be voted out, country by country.

4. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    my parents hated the hike in prices that came with the Euro
    but like being able to pay with Euros when they go on vacations

With vacations being 6 weeks on average in W. Europe
    I doubt a majority would go back to the old times.

Just bitching and moaning imo.

5. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    It'd probly be too much of a pain in the ass to change the national currency again in the span of less than a decade or so.