Help me understand a simple mathematical paradox

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
The often cited Gallup polling shows that Independent voters make up 42% of the electorate; while 29% are democrats and 26% republicans....

Of the 42% of independents, polls show that just about half of them will vote democrat during an election where there's no independent running or when that independent candidate has little to no chance of winning.

Now, two questions arise:

1. How come politicians do not then run as "independents"?

2. And WHY with a higher percentage of democrat voters, we have a House of Reps. at 247 republicans and 188 democrats?

(I have some inkling as the "why" to the 2nd question....and not the first.....but I'd like to hear the opinion of others.).

There are 247 Republicans in the House because Democrats are goddamn liars and voters bitch slapped Dem's for lying through their teeth about Obamacare, among other deeds.

The often cited Gallup polling shows that Independent voters make up 42% of the electorate; while 29% are democrats and 26% republicans....

Of the 42% of independents, polls show that just about half of them will vote democrat during an election where there's no independent running or when that independent candidate has little to no chance of winning.

2. And WHY with a higher percentage of democrat voters, we have a House of Reps. at 247 republicans and 188 democrats?

(I have some inkling as the "why" to the 2nd question....and not the first.....but I'd like to hear the opinion of others.).
1. Candidates couldn't win an election without a party apparatus backing them.
2. Gerrymandering.

Let me venture a guess...

Democrats are too dumb to figure out they can use the same ID for voting that they use to get their welfare and food stamps???

Or are they just too stupid and lazy to find the polls???

Oh, I know!!! Most independents know the Jackass Party is full of shit!!!

Why does Sanders caucus with a major party?

Even after being there for a century or more, there aren't enough independents to back him on anything

Let me venture a guess...

Democrats are too dumb to figure out they can use the same ID for voting that they use to get their welfare and food stamps???

Or are they just too stupid and lazy to find the polls???

Oh, I know!!! Most independents know the Jackass Party is full of shit!!!

My My My....another angry little elephant.

1. Politicians don't run as independents because historically, running as an independent has largely been a protest vote, and they knew they couldn't win, but could possibly influence the election. Politicians run to win. However, after this fiasco with the current election, there exists a possibility that in the future, an independent candidate might be the way to go.

2. Gerrymandering, which is why the districts are in such strange shapes. If we voted by actual counties or states, the vote results would be much different. Republicans are loathe to let go of the power they currently have, which is why they won't redraw the districts to reflect the actual population of a city or county.

All politics are local...and local voters get to smell democrats. There's your answer.

Small "I" independent does not signify a political preference, but a state of being.

I am an independent, who happens to follow the same classical liberalism as did the Founding Fathers.

There are others who follow the modern nonsense that simply usurped the name.

And so on and so forth.

1) money and funding requires Wall Street and the "job creator" class backing, that IS who is represented after all, not the unsubstantial people.

2) yes, gerrymandering.

And on that second point, look, "both" sides do it, the republicans just did it more effectively last time around; fuggin' districts drawn like a tangled plate of spaghetti. Voters do not choose the candidates, the candidates/parties choose the voters. It's a bogus rigged system; bickering factions of the ruling aristocracy.

Small "I" independent does not signify a political preference, but a state of being.

I am an independent, who happens to follow the same classical liberalism as did the Founding Fathers.

There are others who follow the modern nonsense that simply usurped the name.

And so on and so forth.

There is nothing independent about you, get past the shame.

1. Candidates couldn't win an election without a party apparatus backing them.
2. Gerrymandering.

Correct on both counts......especially the cute gerrymandering that has given the GOP control of the House for many years now and into the near future.......However, this Nov. the Senate will certainly turn blue and the House will have a much bigger Dem representation.

The answer to number one is those who run as indpendents don't get the party money behind them and that decreases their chances of winning the answer for number two not all those who say there are Democrats are party partisans who always vote Democrat the fact is people arent nearly as loyal to either party as they used to you have people that may very well vote for one party for President and the other for Congressional races.

Forum List

Back