Help I am going to strangle him unless I toss the computer out the window!

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
He has done it again, :asshole: I swear if that man does not stay out of the advanced settings on his computer. I will strangle him! :death: Here's the problem The computer is beyond my repair, so the only option I have at this point is to refomat the hard drive. However all the other computers I own, have the restore disc with everything on it, just pop it in and your done, basically. This one does not it was custom built, I do have all the discs with the drivers. However I have never reformatted this way, so I'm not sure exactly what to do. I believe, I need to go into DOS mode to reformat, and then reinstall all the drivers however what order or does it matter? and what commands do I need to type in DOS?

Please help, before he screws up my computer, although that one is easier to restore.

Which OS are you using?

1. You need to create a setup disk.

2. Use that disk to boot the computer.

3. run the command c:\format

That will begin the format of your main drive.

Once the drive is formatted you will need to reinstall your OS.

Once that is completed you need to load all of your drivers and reboot after the reload of all the drivers. (This depends on the hardware you have and the OS).

Then begin to reload all of your software.

It is best to backup any data that you have before you do this. Do you have a CD burner and is it usable at this time?

Windows ME (I know it sucks!)

I have tried to create a start up disc and keeps telling me to load a floppy in Drive A when there is already one in there.

Yes I have a cd burner but i have yet to figure out which software runs it. I heven't tried very hard either since i don't have any blank cds laying around,
and it is my husbands computer, the only thing i do on it is play sims2.

Oh and fix it when he screws something up I think the last time i posted something about this comp. he had screwed up the modem.

It sounds like you need to format the floppy disc that you are using to make the startup disc.

Is the OS OEM? Or is it an upgrade disc? It will make a difference. It is also possible to simply reload the OS without reformatting.

With Windows ME you can also reload it booting from the CD rather than using a startup disc.

You would need to go into the setup for your bios at the beginning, it usually says something like "Hit delete to enter setup" when you first turn on your computer. Set the computer to boot from the CD first. Put in the ME into your CD Drive. It will then work setup, at setup it will ask if you want to Format the drive and you can say yes.

I would first attempt to just load the OS without reformatting, this will often fix problems with the OS. Once it is reloaded run a defrag and scan the Hard Drive for errors. See if that fixes the issues if not, you can reload the software by using the directions above.

Forum List

Back