Hello from FL

You said of your parents of your youth: "I feel cheated .... I feel lied to .... I feel I was done a disservice .... "
Of course, you're free to disrespect their unappreciated service to you of putting up with stinky pants, why questions, devotion to your needs, and your total rejection as a consequence due to your present precocious enlightenment of their diminished capacity and simple-mindedness of giving you teachings in their faith, now a topic of your stern and studied criticism in favor of the religion of atheism, which allows you to sin sans consequences, since there be no saving God's hand to account to who inspired the founders of this country to break free of tyrants of the earth. Why, hell, anybody who 'disagrees' with you, the world's acme in modern adulthood, must be "acting like a child." :lmao:

Becki,

I do not reject my parents. I reject what they taught me about "God". Again, you've put words in my mouth. I would never refer to myself as enlightened; that's why I'm here. I never said my parents were simple-minded.

I feel cheated, lied to, and done a disservice by organized religion. If you were a close reader, you'd have noticed that.

Trying to have an honest discussion with an obvious troll is a waste not only of YOUR TIME, but the boards, as well.

YOu don't GET that this troll is yanking your chain, lad?

It is

Hey all,

My name's Taylor. I've actually been lurking around for a few weeks reading threads, I just haven't posted anything yet.

I'm about to graduate (in two weeks!) from an established Florida college with a BA in English Lit/Political Science. I'm a student, and people usually assume that means I'm a liberal, but I try not to identify with any one party or ideology.

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist and a firm believer in the (complete) separation of church and state. I was raised hardcore Roman Catholic, and I feel it restricted my childhood in a number of ways. You could say I feel totally cheated by my religious upbringing.

That said, I love discussion and I'm a newbie, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can. Most of you seem like intelligent people, and I wish forums like this were way more popular.

Happy to be here,

Taylor

PS: This emoticon cracks me the fuck up:
:banana2:

Why do you hate dancing bananas? :eusa_angel:

Welcome to the board. It's the best I've found out there (granted I don't speak or type Mandarin so I don't know what's going on in that part of the world except to say that a "franco" in any province in China would have been euthanized as a child).

I pretty well grew up in Ormond Beach. I spent most of my pre teen and teen summers there. My dad had absolutely had it with "going north" with the traditional Canadian summer vacations where you get sucked dry by black flies and get concussions from icebergs in lakes in July and were thrilled just to endure hypothermia in August.

And my dad in law lives in Cocoa. So I still get to indulge myself in one of the best places on earth.

Hey all,

My name's Taylor. I've actually been lurking around for a few weeks reading threads, I just haven't posted anything yet.

I'm about to graduate (in two weeks!) from an established Florida college with a BA in English Lit/Political Science. I'm a student, and people usually assume that means I'm a liberal, but I try not to identify with any one party or ideology.

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist and a firm believer in the (complete) separation of church and state. I was raised hardcore Roman Catholic, and I feel it restricted my childhood in a number of ways. You could say I feel totally cheated by my religious upbringing.

That said, I love discussion and I'm a newbie, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can. Most of you seem like intelligent people, and I wish forums like this were way more popular.

Happy to be here,

Taylor

PS: This emoticon cracks me the fuck up:
:banana2:
Congrat's on shedding the brainwashing !
Now. Go to the office and sign up for classes to master another language or two.Prepare a non USA strategy for the future.......since there is none there.

Welcome to the forum Taylor. There's a lot of stuff going on here. :)

Well hells bells we're already going toe to toe over religion. Cripes, think of how he'd feel if he was like me.

Picture it. Yes, I channel Sophia from time to time. Picture it. I'm in highschool. I'm in history class in Grade 10 and I find out that the wild and crazy dude called King Henry the VIII started my freaking religion.

Special. Sitting at my desk going "OMG" he left the big RCC so he didn't have to behead a wife?

Talk about a screwed up motivation to start the Anglican Church.

Last edited:
Hey Tinydancer, thanks for the welcome. Glad to hear you can get to Cocoa every now and then, I love that place. Check out Sarasota next time you get a chance :]

Editec, I suppose you're right. I'm one of those people who falls for it every time.

Hey Tinydancer, thanks for the welcome. Glad to hear you can get to Cocoa every now and then, I love that place. Check out Sarasota next time you get a chance :]

Editec, I suppose you're right. I'm one of those people who falls for it every time.

I really want to do the whole gulf coast. I used to think that the Atlantic was the way to go but first swim in the Gulf. Yowzah.

Oh no. that whole want to do the whole gulf coast is talking tourism people. I just realized what that looked like.:lol:

I absolutely love Florida. I've been up and down the Atlantic side for many years. Now the panhandle is unreal. Destin has been a favorite spot. I've never ever seen sand like that. Like powdered sugar.

Even so I'd love to just have the time to crawl thru St. Augustine sp?. From one end to the other. Never had a chance to do that. But it's on my bucket list.

Thanks, Ropey.

Becki, I don't care about the Ten Commandments. I don't need them to lead a fulfilling life (and neither does anyone else). The way I see it, there only needs to be one commandment:

Matthew 7:12: "...do to others what you would have them do to you."

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "for a little while"?
Life is "for a little while" speaking in terms of eternity.

Forum List

Back