Hello from FL

TCleary

Rookie
Nov 20, 2011
Hey all,

My name's Taylor. I've actually been lurking around for a few weeks reading threads, I just haven't posted anything yet.

I'm about to graduate (in two weeks!) from an established Florida college with a BA in English Lit/Political Science. I'm a student, and people usually assume that means I'm a liberal, but I try not to identify with any one party or ideology.

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist and a firm believer in the (complete) separation of church and state. I was raised hardcore Roman Catholic, and I feel it restricted my childhood in a number of ways. You could say I feel totally cheated by my religious upbringing.

That said, I love discussion and I'm a newbie, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can. Most of you seem like intelligent people, and I wish forums like this were way more popular.

Happy to be here,

Taylor

PS: This emoticon cracks me the fuck up:
:banana2:

Hey all,

My name's Taylor. I've actually been lurking around for a few weeks reading threads, I just haven't posted anything yet.

I'm about to graduate (in two weeks!) from an established Florida college with a BA in English Lit/Political Science. I'm a student, and people usually assume that means I'm a liberal, but I try not to identify with any one party or ideology.

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist and a firm believer in the (complete) separation of church and state. I was raised hardcore Roman Catholic, and I feel it restricted my childhood in a number of ways. You could say I feel totally cheated by my religious upbringing.

That said, I love discussion and I'm a newbie, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can. Most of you seem like intelligent people, and I wish forums like this were way more popular.

Happy to be here,

Taylor

Welcome, I'm in Orlando myself.

English Lit/Poly Sci? What are you going to do for a living?

It would be interesting to hear why you feel cheated by a religious upbringing. I was also raised Roman Catholic and I raised my children that way as well. now that they are grown, I no longer attend church much as I'm not really that into religion.

Anyway, welcome.

Hey PredFan,

Thanks for the reply.

I love writing, and my dream job would be writing political speeches for a high-ranking official. But I'll most likely end up doing articles for magazines/newspapers and teaching English. But I can't say I have any real idea where my life's going.

I meant that being a Roman Catholic made me believe that there were a lot of things I couldn't do. The Christian ideology, I feel, is based on restriction and obedience, and that's not what people (children especially) should base their worldview on. I think that teaching children that there is a higher power is a bad idea: it tells them that they're powerless, and that strikes a daily blow to their confidence. Don't get me wrong: I think the values and morals that Christianity teaches are very much worth learning, and I'm a strong supporter of the Golden Rule, but I don't think that Christianity is logical, and if one interprets the Bible as anything more than a collection of parables, they're in the wrong.

I feel cheated because I missed out on a lot of learning experiences that would have made me a much stronger, smarter, more confident, person. I feel lied to because I was told that there was God, and that's not true. I feel that I was done a disservice because I was made to follow a set of rules and restrictions laid down thousands of years ago that cannot possibly apply to today's world.

But I'm not mad. My parents were just doing what they thought was right. But I'm glad I figured it out. :eusa_whistle:

What do you think?

ancientlion, thanks for the reply!

Mr. H., I noticed lol

Truthmatters: I agree. Religion gives a lot of people a lot of comfort and the feeling of safety. But that feeling of safety should come from personal confidence, not the assumption that there's a God. Like you said, because it's good doesn't make it true.

I love writing, and my dream job would be writing political speeches for a high-ranking official. But I'll most likely end up doing articles for magazines/newspapers and teaching English. But I can't say I have any real idea where my life's going.

Get a job writing for a Democrat, you could just repeat the same slogans over and over then collect your check and go home.:lol:

I meant that being a Roman Catholic made me believe that there were a lot of things I couldn't do. The Christian ideology, I feel, is based on restriction and obedience, and that's not what people (children especially) should base their worldview on.

Which is true of every religion.

I think that teaching children that there is a higher power is a bad idea: it tells them that they're powerless, and that strikes a daily blow to their confidence.

I have to disagree. You can give a child that impression but if you do, you are doing a poor job of teaching your children. I raised all 5 of my daughters as Catholics and then when they wwere 18 they were allowed to decide where they wanted to take their religious lives after that. The three oldest are not particularly religious so far. At least I did my job and now as adults they can decide on their own.

Don't get me wrong: I think the values and morals that Christianity teaches are very much worth learning, and I'm a strong supporter of the Golden Rule, but I don't think that Christianity is logical, and if one interprets the Bible as anything more than a collection of parables, they're in the wrong.

Agreed.

I feel cheated because I missed out on a lot of learning experiences that would have made me a much stronger, smarter, more confident, person.

Really? Like what? I was raised catholic and I am all of those things to a satisfactory degree.

I feel lied to because I was told that there was God, and that's not true.

Now there is no way that any of us can know that for sure is there?

I feel that I was done a disservice because I was made to follow a set of rules and restrictions laid down thousands of years ago that cannot possibly apply to today's world.

Hmmm....Thou shalt not steal, lie, kill, commit adultery, worship false Gods, how do those not apply to today's world? I realize that a lot of people don't follow the adultery ban, myself included, but would today's world be worse off if no one committed adultery?

But I'm not mad. My parents were just doing what they thought was right. But I'm glad I figured it out.

What you figured out was what your own personal view is. There's no way you can actually know that you figured anything out other than that.

Again, welcome.

Granny says Hidy an' Welcome to the board...

... she wantin' to know if ya could send her a sack o' oranges for Christmas?...

... she likes eatin' oranges when its Christmas.
:lol:

Hey all,

Happy to be here,

Taylor

Go to confession, asswipe.

Hey all,

Happy to be here,

Taylor

Ah...the Welcome Wagon. :lol::lol::lol:

Hey all,

Happy to be here,

Taylor

Ah yes, the classic phases of Catholic faith.......... :lol:
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, got over it.
Well, welcome!

PredFan,

When I say "Christianity", what I really mean is organized religion. My mistake.

In today's world, science is God. We have tools to ascertain information about our environment. A thousand years ago, religion was the only thing that made sense; it was the only thing that explained our world. Now, we know why the sun rises. We know why the rain falls. We know why things happen. And that's why I said that Christianity couldn't possibly apply to today's world: there's just no reason for it.

When you tell a child that all of his/her accomplishments are due to the Lord's will and not their personal ability, you rob that child of any sense of pride in themselves, whether it's apparent to you or not.

When I say I missed out on a lot of experiences that would have made me a better person, I mean I never had the chance to make decisions about life by myself. There was always a rulebook, and that prevented me from making informed decisions. Christians (along with most other followers of most other religions) are told what is good and what is bad and what to do and what not to do, and this hinders their ability to figure it out for themselves. Maybe giving a growing mind a chance to make a few mistakes will end up having a positive result.

Above all, the existence of an omnipotent "creator" or other higher power is a logical fallacy, and anyone who believes that God exists (98% of the US Congress) is necessarily willing to throw logic out the window. I'm wary of those who throw logic out the window, and to teach children to do the same is questionable.

Warrior102: Why don't we have a conversation instead of using words fit for a sixth-grade playground?

waltky: I've got more oranges than I know what do with right now!

thunderdome.jpg

Hey all,

Happy to be here,

Taylor

Perfect example of giving what you get, eh?

Hey PredFan,

Thanks for the reply.

I meant that being a Roman Catholic made me believe that there were a lot of things I couldn't do. The Christian ideology, I feel, is based on restriction and obedience, and that's not what people (children especially) should base their worldview on. I think that teaching children that there is a higher power is a bad idea: it tells them that they're powerless, and that strikes a daily blow to their confidence. Don't get me wrong: I think the values and morals that Christianity teaches are very much worth learning, and I'm a strong supporter of the Golden Rule, but I don't think that Christianity is logical, and if one interprets the Bible as anything more than a collection of parables, they're in the wrong.

I feel cheated because I missed out on a lot of learning experiences that would have made me a much stronger, smarter, more confident, person. I feel lied to because I was told that there was God, and that's not true. I feel that I was done a disservice because I was made to follow a set of rules and restrictions laid down thousands of years ago that cannot possibly apply to today's world.

But I'm not mad. My parents were just doing what they thought was right. But I'm glad I figured it out. :eusa_whistle:

What do you think?
You are definitely at the stage where you know far more than your stupid, lying, ignorant, addled, restrictive, irrelevant parents.

Now that that's settled, you can divorce yourself from their needs to be cared for in their old age and forget about their support of you when you were growing up, since they did such a stinking, lousy job.

Actually, you probably don't really want to know what other people think of such a pinnacle of wisdom as yourself, ingrate.

Becki,

I don't know where you're coming from. I expressed no animosity toward my parents; this is a discussion about religion. My parents did a fantastic job, and they're the most respected people in my life.

The fact that you've put words in my mouth is affirmed by the quote of mine you so generously provided.

I registered on this forum because I thought I could have a decent discussion. You're ruining my faith in that notion.

If you disagree with me, say so. But don't act like a child.

Forum List

Back