Hello from Appalachia

Dugdale_Jukes

Dec 30, 2012
After reading posts in various USMB forums it appears more and more folks wonder where the moralistic political nonsense of the last forty years might lead. It was bad enough to listen to a halfwit like Reagan pretend understanding free markets before a Greek chorus of religious nuts, but it wasn't until Clinton sacrificed Brooksley Born on the altar of Greenspan's stupidity to the cheers of clueless progressives that it became indisputable the nation was headed to a bad place.

At 63 and in the bonus round for forty-four years, down the drain is my personal opinion.

However, your opinions are my reason for being here.

After reading posts in various USMB forums it appears more and more folks wonder where the moralistic political nonsense of the last forty years might lead. It was bad enough to listen to a halfwit like Reagan pretend understanding free markets before a Greek chorus of religious nuts, but it wasn't until Clinton sacrificed Brooksley Born on the altar of Greenspan's stupidity to the cheers of clueless progressives that it became indisputable the nation was headed to a bad place.

At 63 and in the bonus round for forty-four years, down the drain is my personal opinion.

Welcome to USMB, Dugdale Jukes. Hope you enjoy the boards.

Welcome brother, I had a lot of my family come and still exist in West Virginia.

When I look at the top 100 poorest counties in our country, I saw 4 paterns that are very obvious. The first is counties with mostly American Indian Reservations, which really proves we can conquer the savage native people that lived in our country and never give them an opportunity. I'm sensitive to that, because I'm party American Indian and I understand my great, great grandfather, a half-breed son of an Indian princess was the "cock of the hills" way back then when he lived.

The second are mostly poor Hispanic counties, which we took over in the Mexican/American War and it's never benefited their citizens. About half of Hispanics are American Indian, so that's a no brainer.

The third are old Black areas left over from the Civil War where a good economy was never created. Maybe, I should contact a few local universities and see if they have an intro program to what happened there and yes that is clearly sarcasm.

The fourth area are counties in Appalachia, particularly eastern Kentucky that are almost entirely White people on the order of 97% to 99%. Right now, the most impoverished area is in eastern Kentucky, but the total area of near top 100 poorest counties stretches from West Virginia, thru the panhandle of Virginia and down along the North Carolina and Tennessee border. I know that area well, because my family, on my dad's side, grew up, bought farms and were rather successful when they lived somewhere else, but the beauty of the land kept calling them back home.

Since I've spent many a day there since my youth, let me see if I can make YouTube work and give you a song and proper welcome!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfi3SSJPG9Y]Country roads John Denver Almost Heaven West Virginia Parkersburg WV - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Welcome to the board...

... you hit the nail right on the head...

... had Greenspan and his gaggle of fiscal myopics listened to her...

... the fiscal meltdown could either have been allieviated...

... or avoided entirely...

... but then their banker buddies wouldn't have had their financial heyday...

... at the expense of the other 98%.
:mad:

Last edited:
Appreciate the musical welcome - and all the welcomes expressed here.

This ridge runner never visited Parkersburg. However, the pics and the song brought to mind an industrial America where working people did just fine. Thank you for that remembrance.

Last edited:
Appreciate the musical welcome - and all the welcomes expressed here.

This ridge runner never visited Parkersburg. However, the pics and the song brought to mind an industrial America where working people did just fine. Thank you for that remembrance.

I'm not sure if I've been there or not, though I've been all over that state, particularly in my youth before interstate highways. Parkersburg is parked against the Ohio river and I'm sure the interests to export coal made an impression there. One thing West Virginia definitely had were many railroads and bridges that I remember. I haven't even been there for about 7 years or so, just before we sold a farm in the southern part of the state, almost in Virginia.

It's refreshing to hear someone call themselves a ridge runner. I haven't heard that in awhile and the last times I heard it, it was used in the pejorative up north. Maybe you can assist in educating others about the original meaning of redneck, before it became pejorative, if you know what I mean. There's an interesting story there, too.

My favorite story about West Virginia is the Battle for Blair Mountain, followed by the Blowing Viper, a two legged snake that goes around blowing smoke up people's asses.

Honestly, I believe that you are a bit of a half-wit with little knowledge of history. America was and is the greatest contry in history. They completed "Manifest Destiny" and have become the dominant force in the world since 1945. It was not the concept of dependency on government which made it so.

Whining about a downturn in fortune does not negate successful formulas. Look at Greece for manifestation of government dependance.

Being from Appalachia, Meatloaf, my command of the language is likely not the equal of a penetrating analyst such as yourself; not to quibble, but where in my intro is support for "dependency on government"? Greece? Did the voices in your head bring up Greece or is it somewhere in my post? Clarify, please.

After reporting back on those items perhaps you can explain how knowing for sure and well in advance the nation was "headed to a bad place" is whining?

Again, Appalachian English is my first language. No point my pretending to have the same command of the language you do; your filling in those blanks can further my education, then maybe one day I can dazzle folks with pithy wit the way you do.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back