Heaven Day 2

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
If indeed there is a Heaven, wouldn't the tedium become overwhelming?

Day 1 in Heaven you receive God's grace and the answers to all your questions. You meet dear departed family and friends. You check in with Elvis or Benjamin Franklin or Anne Frank or who ever you always wanted to meet. You enjoy the splendor of the place. The vistas, the total unworldliness of it. They play your favorite song all day. You finally have the meal doctors have warned you against.

What happens on Day 2?

Do we stop being human and have a natural curiosity and interest in things? And don't those things fascinate by being a bit mysterious? Can we be happy oin a place without contradictions?

I think you'd get more than one day worth of questions to answer. Like if your dog really did run away when you were 6 or did dad take it out to the country and let it go.... Like if Oswald really did act alone.

There was a skit on SNL once. John Laroquette (Dan Fielding from Night Court) was the guest host. He died and went to heaven and his angel welcomed him. Laroquette asks, "What was the #1 thing that would surprise me?" The angel refuses to answer because it would kill him all over again. Then he drops it down to 10. The angel still refuses to answer. Finally, Laroquette says "The 50th most surpising thing." The angel tells him that professional wresting is real.

Hilarious stuff.

Anyway, yeah, I think at some point, you'd look for some discomfort.

Day 1 in Heaven you receive God's grace and the answers to all your questions. You meet dear departed family and friends. You check in with Elvis or Benjamin Franklin or Anne Frank or who ever you always wanted to meet. You enjoy the splendor of the place. The vistas, the total unworldliness of it. They play your favorite song all day. You finally have the meal doctors have warned you against.

What happens on Day 2?

Do we stop being human and have a natural curiosity and interest in things? And don't those things fascinate by being a bit mysterious? Can we be happy oin a place without contradictions?

Fortunately this is not a problem that us atheists need to worry about because I have been informed that there is "special place in hell" reserved for us. Speaking for myself I will find it refreshing not to have to deal with people constantly telling me that I must convert to their religion anymore so that is going to be a plus since they won't be around for all of eternity.

Then there is the fact that I have a gallows sense of humor so I am probably going to find a lot of what is happening amusing, even when it involves myself. I expect that it will be somewhat similar to USMB with a whole bunch of not too bright minions very serious about whatever torture they are supposed to be inflicting becoming all bent out of shape when it elicits shrieks of laughter rather than pain.

And yes, after a while that too could become boring so I will probably end up chatting with other like minded atheists about how farcical the whole place has become and the lack of imagination and creativity. We will probably amuse ourselves predicting which of the demons will be the next to have a meltdown.

Kind of a dumb way to spend eternity irrespective of whether you end up in heaven or hell. In essence just a waste of intelligence. I think I prefer the concept of being recycled into a cockroach or something. At least then you still have a life and can do things and have sex. :D

I had a dream I talked with Frank Zappa in heaven. I asked him if he missed playing music and he said, " no! Watch this" and he had 10 other spirits next to him start playing tones and composed a 5 minute piece that had me laughing and crying

attaining the Apex of Knowledge, conquering Evil ... freeing one's Spirit if possible to join the Everlasting - may only make possible a continuation for staying Alive.

maybe becoming a god would then insure imortality - or a reason to keep on living ....

there are differences about religion / atheist etc. but for all the possibilities are the same.

What happens on Day 2?

Fortunately this is not a problem that us atheists need to worry about because I have been informed that there is "special place in hell" reserved for us. Speaking for myself I will find it refreshing not to have to deal with people constantly telling me that I must convert to their religion anymore so that is going to be a plus since they won't be around for all of eternity.

Then there is the fact that I have a gallows sense of humor so I am probably going to find a lot of what is happening amusing, even when it involves myself. I expect that it will be somewhat similar to USMB with a whole bunch of not too bright minions very serious about whatever torture they are supposed to be inflicting becoming all bent out of shape when it elicits shrieks of laughter rather than pain.

And yes, after a while that too could become boring so I will probably end up chatting with other like minded atheists about how farcical the whole place has become and the lack of imagination and creativity. We will probably amuse ourselves predicting which of the demons will be the next to have a meltdown.

Kind of a dumb way to spend eternity irrespective of whether you end up in heaven or hell. In essence just a waste of intelligence. I think I prefer the concept of being recycled into a cockroach or something. At least then you still have a life and can do things and have sex. :D

>>Fortunately this is not a problem that us atheists need to worry about because I have been informed that there is "special place in hell" reserved for us.<<

Well maybe one of your issues is your own ignorance? Because whoever told you that you were hellbound is a fool unto themselves since the Christian God has made it abundantly clear over and again we have no idea who is hellbound nor should we ever judge others as though we do.

>>Speaking for myself I will find it refreshing not to have to deal with people constantly telling me that I must convert to their religion anymore…<<

Well if you did not force yourself to be on religious message boards I bet you would not have to deal with people constantly telling you that you must convert. So who is to blame?

Last edited:

What happens on Day 2?

>>Fortunately this is not a problem that us atheists need to worry about because I have been informed that there is "special place in hell" reserved for us.<<

Well maybe one of your issues is your own ignorance? Because whoever told you that you were hellbound is a fool unto themselves since the Christian God has made it abundantly clear over and again we have no idea who is hellbound nor should we ever judge others as though we do.

>>Speaking for myself I will find it refreshing not to have to deal with people constantly telling me that I must convert to their religion anymore…<<

Well if you did not force yourself to be on religious message boards I bet you would not have to deal with people constantly telling you that you must convert. So who is to blame?

So now all those proselytizing fundamentalists all over USMB are just the innocent victims of atheists "forcing" themselves onto what is a free speech forum?

upload_2015-8-24_11-59-4.png

:lmao:

The question assumes time has the same meaning or existence in any afterlife as it does in our current life/universe.

What happens on Day 2?

So now all those proselytizing fundamentalists all over USMB are just the innocent victims of atheists "forcing" themselves onto what is a free speech forum?

View attachment 48169

Seriously? You are so bothered because there are a few religious messages outside of the religious forum on USMB? THAT is a real issue for you or causes some angst? What is that?... maybe 1 out of 250 messages? How about ignoring those for starters?

What happens on Day 2?

View attachment 48169

Seriously? You are so bothered because there are a few religious messages outside of the religious forum on USMB? THAT is a real issue for you or causes some angst? What is that?... maybe 1 out of 250 messages? How about ignoring those for starters?

Care to explain why fundamentalists like yourself have zero sense of humor?

Oh wait, rhetorical question, nevermind.

Care to explain why fundamentalists like yourself have zero sense of humor?

Oh wait, rhetorical question, nevermind.

Well I won't argue with you on that one. I guess because the subject material is so extremely critical for our lives is the answer.

It is noteworthy that there is not one verse in the Bible where Jesus is referenced as smiling or happy, much less laughing! Not because He did not, but perhaps God knew that if he made mention of even one reference to that, the unenlightened readers might relax or take everything else less seriously.

Incidentally, I am a rather orthodox Catholic and have great differences with fundamentalists --- although we may come off sounding the same at times.

It is noteworthy that there is not one verse in the Bible where Jesus is referenced as smiling or happy, much less laughing!

Really?

And yet Jesus was at a party where he turned water into wine. In his famous sermon on the mount he blessed those who are weeping because they shall soon be laughing. He most definitely had a sense of humor in some of the expressions that he used to illustrate his points.

Last time I chatted to your God he was bemoaning the fact that in spite of all the billions of people taking his name in vain none of them grasped his sense of humor. I guess it takes an atheist to see just how ludicrous the entire concept of heaven and hell really are.

Oh, and some food for thought that he asked me to pass on to you. Do you honestly believe that if he is a "loving god" he is going to condemn his own creations to an eternity of pain and suffering just because they didn't spend their lives worshiping him? Do you really believe that he is that petty and vindictive?

It is noteworthy that there is not one verse in the Bible where Jesus is referenced as smiling or happy, much less laughing!

Really?

And yet Jesus was at a party where he turned water into wine. In his famous sermon on the mount he blessed those who are weeping because they shall soon be laughing. He most definitely had a sense of humor in some of the expressions that he used to illustrate his points.

Last time I chatted to your God he was bemoaning the fact that in spite of all the billions of people taking his name in vain none of them grasped his sense of humor. I guess it takes an atheist to see just how ludicrous the entire concept of heaven and hell really are.

Oh, and some food for thought that he asked me to pass on to you. Do you honestly believe that if he is a "loving god" he is going to condemn his own creations to an eternity of pain and suffering just because they didn't spend their lives worshiping him? Do you really believe that he is that petty and vindictive?

>>And yet Jesus was at a party where he turned water into wine. In his famous sermon on the mount he blessed those who are weeping because they shall soon be laughing. He most definitely had a sense of humor in some of the expressions that he used to illustrate his points.<<

Well, yes, perhaps, but I still find it noteworthy there is no direct reference to Jesus laughing – and this is not the case just by chance, I am sure. A most interesting, if not complex, book in the Bible is Ecclesiastes. A real departure from other more conventional teachings, imo. The author does often enough exhort his readers to eat, drink and be merry. And not because that is so virtuous but because he acknowledges that the trials and worries and pains in life are so often present and so often prominent on our minds that we need to break away from those thoughts very often lest it consume us.

>>Do you honestly believe that if he is a "loving god" he is going to condemn his own creations to an eternity of pain and suffering just because they didn't spend their lives worshiping him? Do you really believe that he is that petty and vindictive?<<

Before I give an answer to the first part of your question I reject the second part you suggested. God may have some souls confined in hell but it is not for us to know why --- and to say it is because we did not “spend our lives worshipping Him” is my guess both false and very limited in scope of what God asks of man.

I am sure there are many in heaven who did not know God, did not know of the Son of God, Jesus, and consequently did not spend their lives praying to Him or worshipping Him. The Last Judgment in Matthew 25:31-46 profoundly brings home that message. Charity is the highest virtue, even moreso than faith.

But do I think there are souls that are in hell or will be in hell? Yes, I guess I do. Because there are so many references to hell’s reality and also the dangers of man should he become an evil, selfish, uncaring fool. Would God ever do such a thing? I cannot say for sure, but it seems pretty certain to me that is what He wants us to believe. So I do.

I also am very much in belief that there have been cases of souls who are in hell who God commanded (not allowed) to visit mortals on earth and witness to its reality. I am also totally certain that the three children of Fatima were given a vision of hell by the Virgin Mary on July 13, 1917. The young children screamed in horror and the attending crowd demanded later they tell them what they saw. It was surely hell where the human souls were like floating burning embers and the demons were ghastly looking beasts. http://www.fatima.org/essentials/facts/hell.asp

Scary, but not to be ignored just because we as humans cannot conceive of a loving God allowing such a thing. What I am certain of is that God has provided mankind with only a glimpse of knowledge and reality and only what we need to know to love and serve Him and for very compelling reasons. Beyond that is not our business nor reasons to speculate. Maybe hell is not forever, but God intended for us to accept it as though it is.

Forum List

Back