Is America a Christian Nation?

MathewSmith

May 24, 2015
Statistically speaking almost 83% of the populations identifies themselves as Christians. This statistic is from a few years ago so it might be slightly different currently.But, I wonder, how is it possible that Christian nation believe and accept homosexual marriages? HOW!?!? Where are these 83%?!?! What do they believe?!

If you has a vote like they did in California, gay marriage wouldn't be around.

Statistically speaking almost 83% of the populations identifies themselves as Christians. This statistic is from a few years ago so it might be slightly different currently.But, I wonder, how is it possible that Christian nation believe and accept homosexual marriages? HOW!?!? Where are these 83%?!?! What do they believe?!
By Christian nation do you mean does this country follow the teachings of Jesus Christ?

There is an American right wing bastardization of Christianity. It's very different than traditional Christianity.
Where traditional Christianity says to help the poor and the sick, right wing Christianity says "let them die" and "if you feed the poor they will breed". Taking care of children is very important in traditional Christianity. In the new American right wing Christianity, they only care about the fetus and want to do nothing for the born because "it's not my kid".
Bastardized American right wing Christianity is very cruel. I don't really think of it as a religion, but more as a cult.

America, genrally, is far, far more a nation of Christians and believers in God than a nation of non-believers.

But it is not a Christian nation.

If you mean Americans' perverted version of Christianity, then yes.

Here are some more up-to-date figures.

America’s Changing Religious Landscape

I guess the short answer to your question is, that a fair number of Christians exhibit the quality of grace.

I'm not an American - but all Christians of all churches normally believe this:

Last edited:

How many of those are only Christian in name? How many people carry their Bible to church, but never actually read it? How many don't even bother going to church? How many are Cafeteria Christian's who pick and choose what they want to follow, and ignore the rest? It's easy to say you're a Christian, but how many actually dedicate themselves?

I suggest that if more people actually read their Bibles, there would be less believers.

biblecartoon.jpg

Maybe because Christ preferred his followers to love instead of hate.

Acceptance of the sin is not the same as love. You can actually hate the sin and love the sinner. My mother showed me that when I was misbehaving as a youth.

Acceptance of the sin is not the same as love. You can actually hate the sin and love the sinner. My mother showed me that when I was misbehaving as a youth.
You must not let the sin block the love. I have known several GAs who could not get by that, and I knew every day members of the flock who understood exactly what Christ meant.

Last edited:
America is a secular Nation, a Constitutional Republic, whose citizens are subject solely to the rule of law – and one of our most fundamental legal principles is separation of church and state, where no religion, regardless its majority, may seek to conjoin church and state, and codify religious dogma into secular law.

That would include seeking to enact measures denying same-sex couples access to marriage law, which is why such measures were invalidated by the Supreme Court.

Consequently, Christians hostile to gay Americans have the right to prohibit their churches from performing weddings for same-sex couples, where their religious liberty is in no way 'compromised' because the Constitution prohibits them from seeking to disadvantage gay Americans through force of law.

As long as you and others don't attempt to codify your unwarranted hate for 'the sin' in secular law, you're at liberty to believe as you wish.

If you has a vote like they did in California, gay marriage wouldn't be around.
Incorrect.

Proposition 8 was ruled un-Constitutional, as were other similar measures subsequently by the Supreme Court.

Citizens' civil rights aren't subject to a 'vote' or 'majority rule,' hence our Constitutional Republic, where citizens are subject to the rule of law, not men, as men are incapable of ruling justly – Proposition 8 was proof of that, along with other like un-Constitutional measures.

Forum List

Back