Heat Pumps

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
I'm considering having a heat pump system put in. I've heard that they are very efficient. I currently have an oil furnace combined with a wood stove.

Does anyone have one? Did anyone have one installed? I plan on having my ductwork replaced as well since I recently discovered that they used asbestos on the seams, so I figure I might as well replace it, it's a simple set up and shouldn't be too over the top pricey.

What kind of system are you considering?

A ground source heat pump has a couple of options

Geothermal Technology | GeoComfort Geothermal Heating and Cooling Systems

A good friend of mine has a system and he absolutely raves about it. I am in the process of designing a new house i want to build in the next year or two and a ground source heat pump is what I will be using for heating and cooling.

I was reading about these. They are very expensive to install initially. They are the most efficient, but the initial outlay is quite high. I'll look into them, however.

What do you think about the ductless type? The refrigerant is piped to individual units in 3 or 4 zones of the house. You don't lose heat via ductwork, and you can individually control the temperature in the different zones.

Cooling, btw, is not really needed here, but for maybe a week or two in the summer. We rarely get above 90.

I'm considering having a heat pump system put in. I've heard that they are very efficient. I currently have an oil furnace combined with a wood stove.

Does anyone have one? Did anyone have one installed? I plan on having my ductwork replaced as well since I recently discovered that they used asbestos on the seams, so I figure I might as well replace it, it's a simple set up and shouldn't be too over the top pricey.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leDoMTkGooQ]YouTube - Happy Customer Daniel F. - Free Heat Machine Outdoor Wood Furnace[/ame]

check out these.

What kind of system are you considering?

A ground source heat pump has a couple of options

Geothermal Technology | GeoComfort Geothermal Heating and Cooling Systems

A good friend of mine has a system and he absolutely raves about it. I am in the process of designing a new house i want to build in the next year or two and a ground source heat pump is what I will be using for heating and cooling.

I was reading about these. They are very expensive to install initially. They are the most efficient, but the initial outlay is quite high. I'll look into them, however.

What do you think about the ductless type? The refrigerant is piped to individual units in 3 or 4 zones of the house. You don't lose heat via ductwork, and you can individually control the temperature in the different zones.

Cooling, btw, is not really needed here, but for maybe a week or two in the summer. We rarely get above 90.

The mini splits are quite affordable. I have installed them in the business. Cooling was my main concern there

I opted for the Mitsubishi model but sanyo also makes a highly rated unit.

I Hate Heat Pumps

When the Temperature outside gets below 40 degrees the pieces of Crap blow our Air Conditioning for 10-12 minutes out of every hour while the defrost or something.

It is not just one that has done it, it has been that way in 3 different houses over the last 15 years, they are Crap. The Last House has a very expensive name brand Heat Pump, it is still Crap.

Now, after I got that off my chest, I am sure for enough Money, someone builds a better one.

I would recommend if you live in the North to do some serious research before buying a Heat Pump.

I do live up North. I've heard heat pumps aren't as efficient at cooler temps. Yes, it's below 40 all winter, and frequently in Spring and Fall. Thanks for the feedback.

I never thought I would like a heat pump, but here I am with one. It is VERY energy efficient, and actually is working great. It is so hot here, excess of 100° daily with higher heat index, and my home is very cool.

Forget air to air heat pumps. Way back in antiquity when I took physics and we discussed heat pumps, my Scottish heritage perked up when the prof. explained the efficiency of a ground water heat pump. For every 100 watts of energy put in, it returns 1200 to 1400 watts. One of my friends built a large geo-thermal system to heat and cool his new house. The system was designed to put any excess energy into the hot water heater. Nine months later (in early winter in Indiana) there was a problem; no hot water. When my friend called the builder to complain, the company promptly came out and began to inspect the water heater. When the tech said "well, it might help if we actually turn it on" my friend was convinced of the worth of the system. Pappadave.

Forum List

Back