New A/C....

There's plenty of insulation and replacing this many windows to dual pane would cost a shitload of money with a lot of em being arched at the top.
We dont plan on living here long enough to make it worth while. If we planned on retiring here it would definitely be worth it.
Have you considered applying tint to the windows?

less than 25 $

images
Yeah, pump 100 degree air into your house....

7up0f6.jpg

It's hot AF! :auiqs.jpg:

I gotta fireplace. But mostly it's small space heaters in winter for me.
Got a wood stove and pellet stove. Lots of tall pines and a few oaks on the property for firewood. Last winter several got loaded with snow and fell down. Plenty of firewood for a while.

Ugh!!
When we bought this house we knew we'd have to replace the A/C units because they were getting old.
We replaced the first two and didnt want to spend the money for a top of the line units so we stepped down a notch we had those two units installed about ten years ago.
We had to replace the last one and went with Trane because we weren't all that happy with the lower end unit.
So we started having trouble with the ten year old units recently and we had to replace both of them.
To the tune of $30K!!! We went with Trane on those two so at least all of our units are the top of the line now.
I know one thing for sure. I'll never buy a house that requires three A/C's again. While it is nice to have a couple in case one goes out you at least have an area that's still cold.
All told the damage to my wallet is $45K for the A/C units plus another $15K to have new ducts installed.
Now I like the heat just not so much that I want to sleep in it.
You are so right, buying a house and then having unexpected big expense is really crappy. I remember when we bought our last home, both me and the seller wanted to close ASAP. So the relator found a person to do an inspection which was required the next day. He found some flapper values in the toilets' that needed replacing, a lock that didn't work well. He didn't mention the wiring that was pure crap, installed over 60 years ago, a two wire system with no grounds and insulation that was deteriorating. That set me back over 50K. Then there was the sump pump under the house that stopped working in the middle of the winter rainy season. That set me back over a thousand. Less than 5 year after buying the house, I had to replace the roof which set me back over 30k.

The moral of the story is before buying a house hire an inspector(s) who know what to look for, the stuff that is going to set you back big bucks to repair or replace. Be in the house when the inspection is done. Paying a few hundred dollars more for a good inspection can be a very good investment.

Last edited:
Swamp coolers are worthless along the gulf coast.
I gave mine away after a couple years,all it did is make you feel damp.
I've have found they work in places that have very low humidly such as the Southwest. However, when temperatures get to 115 or 120, you need a really good air condition to get temperatures down below 80 in the house.

You are so right, buying a house and then having unexpected big expense is really crappy. I remember when we bought our last home, both me and the seller wanted to close ASAP. So the relator found a person to do an inspection which was required the next day. He found some flapper values in the toilets' that needed replacing, a lock that didn't work well. He didn't mention the wiring that was pure crap, installed over 60 years ago, a two wire system with no grounds and insulation that was deteriorating. That set me back over 50K. Then there was the sump pump under the house that stopped working in the middle of the winter rainy season. That set me back over a thousand. Less than 5 year after buying the house, I had to replace the roof which set me back over 30k.

The moral of the story is before buying a house hire an inspector(s) who know what to look for, the stuff that is going to set you back big bucks to repair or replace. Be in the house when the inspection is done. Paying a few hundred dollars more for a good inspection can be a very good investment.

We knew the A/C's were old and would need replacing. Same with the roof it didnt leak but it was past time to replace it.
The thing that sucked is the new roof leaked after install and the roofing company said it was a possibility since our roof has a shitload of hips and valleys. And of course they said they would pay for and damage done by any leaks. Well we had three leaks, then the big freeze came along and broke four pipes causing even more water damage.
This all happened at the worst possible time with all my hip surgeries and back surgery.
We need to straighten up a bunch of shit so we can have the sheet rock repaired all at once. Which of course is difficult to do since I cant do much with my back and hip problems.

This is a small example of the roof with all it's hips and valleys.

IMG_3032.jpeg

We knew the A/C's were old and would need replacing. Same with the roof it didnt leak but it was past time to replace it.
The thing that sucked is the new roof leaked after install and the roofing company said it was a possibility since our roof has a shitload of hips and valleys. And of course they said they would pay for and damage done by any leaks. Well we had three leaks, then the big freeze came along and broke four pipes causing even more water damage.
This all happened at the worst possible time with all my hip surgeries and back surgery.
We need to straighten up a bunch of shit so we can have the sheet rock repaired all at once. Which of course is difficult to do since I cant do much with my back and hip problems.

This is a small example of the roof with all it's hips and valleys.

View attachment 811373
I thought my roof was bad, that's a nightmare! :omg:

I want 1 big 30 degree "A", dammit! :102:

Hips n valleys all over the place..grr! Mine is like what's behind that ..stuff in the front there, which is still damn bad.

At least I don't have that, though. That's next-level leak possibilities and complicated.:tomato:

Last edited:
I thought my roof was bad, that's a nightmare! :omg:

I want 1 big 30 degree "A", dammit! :102:

Hips n valleys all over the place..grr! Mine is like what's behind that ..stuff in the front there, which is still damn bad.

At least I don't have that, though. That's next-level leak possibilities and complicated.:tomato:

The next house will have a tin roof with as few hips and valleys as I can get.

My ac went out a few years back during the peak of the heat. Was BRUTAL. Bought a window unit for the bedroom to keep the pets healthy. Took them over a week to get to us they were so busy. Mine only cost 8k but I got a new furnace too.

Forum List

Back