Healthy Relationships

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
Below is a description of what a healthy relationship consists of. And I don't see anything unusual about the list. So where do you think most rifts in a marriage/relationship come from?

1. Intimacy develops slowly over time from a friendship into a committed relationship. You enter into a relationship with someone who is capable of participating in an intimate relationship. They don't have emotional scars from their child hood or previous relationships.

2. You can trust them. They can trust you. Trust must develop slowly over time.

3. Being sexual when you want it – not being forced or coerced. Saying no to sex, gifts or attention you don't want.

4. Not allowing someone to take advantage of you in any way (sexual, financial, and emotional) and not taking advantage of your partner.

5. The relationship is based on trust, respect and commitment, you don't fear abandonment. You feel secure in the relationship.

6. You feel relaxed about the relationship, you are not anxious about losing the other person.

7. There is no drug or alcohol abuse, no love affairs, no physical, emotional or mental abuse.

8. Your partner is a good friend, you respect each other, you can communicate your wants and needs honestly.

9. You both encourage each other to be their best. You have concern for each other's happiness. You can talk openly about your needs and are listened too.

10. Both partners see themselves as equals, no one is superior, there is no need to beg or plead, no need to dominate or compete.

11. You both support each other's healthy hobbies and interests.

12.You and your partner both have friends and interests outside the relationship. You are not isolated.

http://www.leavingabuse.com/healthy.html

One VERY important aspect that is missing:

A wife needs to submit to her husbands husbandry, and a husband needs to love his wife as himself - or more.

The three key factors that everything stems from IMO.

1. Honesty
2. Respect
3. Intimacy/Attraction

Without these it's hopeless.

The ClayTaurus said:
The three key factors that everything stems from IMO.

1. Honesty
2. Respect
3. Intimacy/Attraction

Without these it's hopeless.
Yes, these were on the list.
Honesty comes from knowing the person, to see if honesty exists.
But why would you enter a relationship where there is no attraction or where you have no respect for the person? Without respect there can be no love.

Joz said:
Yes, these were on the list.
Honesty comes from knowing the person, to see if honesty exists.
But why would you enter a relationship where there is no attraction or where you have no respect for the person? Without respect there can be no love.
Honesty doesn't evolve. Honesty is either there or it isn't. Trust evolves. Trust comes from knowing the person to see if honesty exists. And it's not so much entering into a relationship without respect or attraction, but remaining in one after they've departed.

Personally, I think #'s 1 & 9 are good for starters.

The ClayTaurus said:
Honesty doesn't evolve. Honesty is either there or it isn't. Trust evolves. Trust comes from knowing the person to see if honesty exists.
I agree. Isn't that what I said?
And it's not so much entering into a relationship without respect or attraction, but remaining in one after they've departed.
I agree with the first part but please explain the last.

The ClayTaurus said:
Honesty doesn't evolve.

Sure it does.

One learns/changes HOW they are honest with their mate. Yes - it's related to trust. As we grow to Trust our mate more, we become more honest.

dmp said:
Sure it does.

One learns/changes HOW they are honest with their mate. Yes - it's related to trust. As we grow to Trust our mate more, we become more honest.
How they are honest? What does that even mean? Honesty is a definite black and white quality. You are being honest, or you are not being honest. You can't change how you are honest. You either are, or you aren't.

Trust stems from honesty, but does not require honesty. Much like attraction and respect, one can become more or less honest for various reasons. But honesty does not necessarily evolve the way trust does, which is what Joz and I were discussing. And because of that, a relationship ultimately must be based on honesty before trust. IMO.

Joz said:
I agree. Isn't that what I said?
I suppose more or less. I probably got hung up between trust and honesty. You said honesty comes from knowing the person, and I thought you meant trust.
Joz said:
I agree with the first part but please explain the last.
What I meant was, it's assumed that you enter into a relationship with respect and attraction as a given, but for maintaining a healthy relationship, they're important. If respect or attraction fades, so too will the relationship.

dmp said:

A wife needs to submit to her husbands husbandry, and a husband needs to love his wife as himself - or more.

Wife husbandry? How... bucolic of you. :cow:

:D

I chatted with an evangelical pastor in a hotel over dinner once, and he said that his wife was supposed to submit or default to his judgement, but that he was supposed to love his wife as though he would God (in order to prevent abuse of his power as a man over his wife).

Thoughts?

The ClayTaurus said:
.... If respect or attraction fades, so too will the relationship.
So is there something else from the list that might cause this to happen? I don't think you wake up one morning, look at the person laying next to you and you say, "My that's an ugly person".

dmp said:

Would this not fall under #10?

Joz said:
So is there something else from the list that might cause this to happen? I don't think you wake up one morning, look at the person laying next to you and you say, "My that's an ugly person".
It could be caused by something on that list, but it's not required. A reduction in any of those 3 qualities could stem entirely from something completely out of the control of your spouse.

Joz said:

That tends to happen after their have been serious changes in other aspects of the relationship, presumably negative. IMHO, of course.

Forum List

Back