Health Insurance: Tales from the front line

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
My oldest son lives in NY, is in law school and turns 26 later this year. We started looking into health insurance options and HOLY FUCKING MOLY!

He's a young healthy male take a guess what a single policy costs?

Here are the fact: Young healthy male, 26, consumes almost no health care resources.

What would some insurance company charge for his business? What do you think it should cost a month? $50? $75? $100?

Take a guess, then we'll continue

If you're an insurance company, what would you charge for that policy?

Well, let's see. Twenty years ago, when I was in my early 40's and self-employed, I purchased a major medical policy (sometimes called a "catastrophic care" policy). It had a $2,500 deductible, and a 20% copay up to $8,000. After that, I was covered at 100% up to 2 million dollars. Over the six years I had that policy, I never had a claim - but the monthly premium increased from $70/month to $140/month. So, based on the fact that mine doubled in just six years, I would be inclined to guess that the current price would be approximately $560/month.

But then, there could be other factors to consider. Men in their forties seldom go rock climbing, or bungee jumping, for instance. If men in their forties buy a motorcycle, it's likely to be a Honda 100 cc, and not a Kawasaki Ninja. I'm not an underwriter, but I'm guessing the likelihood of catastrophic injury could actually be higher for a single male in his mid twenties.

So, my guess would be somewhere between $500 and $1,000/month.

Did I win?

Depends on how his coverage is structured.

Too much though, regardless of how he structures it.

Your son's premiums are still another good exmple of why this nation needs to create a single univeral HC delivery system.

as an insurance company, I would need to make money off of the person who is healthy, so I could pay for those who are not healthy....so whatever is charged for your son by them, is a profit for the insurance company.

My oldest son lives in NY, is in law school and turns 26 later this year. We started looking into health insurance options and HOLY FUCKING MOLY!

Here are the fact: Young healthy male, 26, consumes almost no health care resources.

What would some insurance company charge for his business? What do you think it should cost a month? $50? $75? $100?

My guess would be around 1,200.00 a month.
The New Health Care is about forcing the young & healthy to get insurance, or pay a penalty. It is still forcing them to pay into health care.

When you can stay on your parent's medical coverage until 26 and you can get two years of unemployment; Obamacare will pay for medical marijuana and throw in foot stamps for munchies. At that point this entire country is "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure 3,"

OK, the quote was $1,000 per month.

For insurance

For a healthy 26 year old young man living in NY.

$1,000/month

I am thinking he is going to be about at $800-1200 a month.

Of course, he has to have coverage if he gets pregnant, and other vital coverages he wouldn't have chosen if the folks in Albany hadn't made the insurance company cover them

I'm for free enterprise and for free markets, that's not what we have here

A healthy young man should pay peanuts for a health insurance policy and have companies knocking each other over for his business. NYS has rigged the insurance business so badly that this is the result

Forum List

Back