He said he wouldn’t join his company’s Bible study. After being let go, he’s suing.

I don't believe all of the story. However, if the owner only wants to hire believers he should have that right.

he should have that right ...

does that mean to you that presently the employer does not have that right ... due to civil rights legislation over the last few decades.
I think if he only wants to hire believers then he should. If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else. It's his business.
I think if he only wants to hire believers then he should. If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else. It's his business.

If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else ...

well, in this case the worker did not like it and is suing the believer shouldn't he have the right to work for a living at his choice of location and not someone else's ...

you did not answer the previous question as to how the case pertains to present law.
No, the employee is either hired or not. The choice to hire anyone is up to the employer. Duh!!
No, the employee is either hired or not. The choice to hire anyone is up to the employer. Duh!!

Duh!! - The choice to hire anyone is up to the employer ...

freedom of religion does not play a role in the hiring process - nor race, creed or gender ... the Constitution does not apply to employment. it's just a matter of (your) politics.

I don't believe all of the story. However, if the owner only wants to hire believers he should have that right.

does that mean to you that presently the employer does not have that right ... due to civil rights legislation over the last few decades.

well, in this case the worker did not like it and is suing the believer shouldn't he have the right to work for a living at his choice of location and not someone else's ...

you did not answer the previous question as to how the case pertains to present law.

freedom of religion does not play a role in the hiring process - nor race, creed or gender ... the Constitution does not apply to employment. it's just a matter of (your) politics.
It's his business. He can hire anyone he desires. Not talking about freedom of religion.

Not if the employer is covered by the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which this employer is if it has a minimum of 15 employees. The employee's religious beliefs have nothing to do with his ability to paint.

BTW: it is totally ridiculous to think that a person who was discharged for any reason, legal or illegal, would sit around and not find another job.

It's his business. He can hire anyone he desires. Not talking about freedom of religion.

Not talking about freedom of religion ...

that is why he is being sued - you are unwilling to relate to the parameters of the discussion, just a reiteration of your own personal political point of view you believe should be forced on society irregardless the sets of law established in the countries constitution, bill of rights.

Not if the employer is covered by the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which this employer is if it has a minimum of 15 employees. The employee's religious beliefs have nothing to do with his ability to paint.

BTW: it is totally ridiculous to think that a person who was discharged for any reason, legal or illegal, would sit around and not find another job.
You can't force a business owner to hire someone he doesn't want to. How absurd.

that is why he is being sued - you are unwilling to relate to the parameters of the discussion, just a reiteration of your own personal political point of view you believe should be forced on society irregardless the sets of law established in the countries constitution, bill of rights.
The business owner also has Constitutional rights. You can't force a business owner to hire someone he doesn't want to. Where do you guys get these weird totalitarian ideas?

The business owner also has Constitutional rights. You can't force a business owner to hire someone he doesn't want to. Where do you guys get these weird totalitarian ideas?

You can't force a business owner to hire someone he doesn't want to ...

false premise, troll.

in this case the employee is already hired, it is their right of freedom of religion the employer is taking away from a citizen contrary to the constitution of the country's bill of rights - it is you who is totalitarian.

the same for both hiring and services, the totalitarian is who argues otherwise.

false premise, troll.

in this case the employee is already hired, it is their right of freedom of religion the employer is taking away from a citizen contrary to the constitution of the country's bill of rights - it is you who is totalitarian.

the same for both hiring and services, the totalitarian is who argues otherwise.
Everyone is a "troll" that takes a stand against you leftist propaganda parrots. I don't believe he was fired because he wouldn't participate in the bible study. I think that's his excuse. He was probably fired because he's a piece of crap. Like you.

false premise, troll.

Everyone is a "troll" that takes a stand against you leftist propaganda parrots. I don't believe he was fired because he wouldn't participate in the bible study. I think that's his excuse. He was probably fired because he's a piece of crap. Like you.

Filter: I don't believe he was fired because he wouldn't participate in the bible study ...

I will say I would not participate in any bible study particularly when order to do so or lose my job however I have enough cushion to find another job were it necessary. we are talking about people that would not be able to pay their rent - and that I suppose is where you accuse me of being a leftist propaganda parrot because otherwise you prove again by your own refusal to discuss the specifics of the case to be simply irrational by claiming you do not believe the reason for the case without the liest bit of proof as your answer.

* it is the workers freedom of religion we are speaking about, filter - try and answer the subject matter and not your whims of derision.

false premise, troll.

Filter: I don't believe he was fired because he wouldn't participate in the bible study ...

I will say I would not participate in any bible study particularly when order to do so or lose my job however I have enough cushion to find another job were it necessary. we are talking about people that would not be able to pay their rent - and that I suppose is where you accuse me of being a leftist propaganda parrot because otherwise you prove again by your own refusal to discuss the specifics of the case to be simply irrational by claiming you do not believe the reason for the case without the liest bit of proof as your answer.

* it is the workers freedom of religion we are speaking about, filter - try and answer the subject matter and not your whims of derision.
I simply don't believe that he was fired because he wouldn't attend a bible study. You don't have any more evidence than I do.

false premise, troll.

I simply don't believe that he was fired because he wouldn't attend a bible study. You don't have any more evidence than I do.
Ummm, there was a Bible study.
He attended.
He stopped attending.
He was fired shortly after he stopped.
No other reason for his firing has been offered.

So that is evidence he was fired for non-attendance.
Is it conclusive evidence? No. Is it possible there was a legitimate reason? Yes.

But for now, the only evidence we have suggests that he was fired for refusing to attend the Bible study.

false premise, troll.

it may be hard for you but when commenting on a subject you might bother to read its referencing article ...

Coleman is not a practicing Christian and told Dahl multiple times that he wasn't comfortable attending the Bible study. In April, Coleman allegedly told Dahl in a phone call that he had a right not to attend the Christian Bible study, at which point he was fired, according to court documents.
the company is being sued ...

Deborah Widiss, a law professor at Indiana University at Bloomington, said federal law prohibits companies from firing or hiring based on an employee's religious beliefs. Under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, employers cannot discriminate against workers on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or religion. Protections for employees' religious choices are important not only in cases of discrimination, Widiss said, but also to accommodate and support workers' practices and beliefs

initially not hiring him for the same reason would have resulted in a similar court case ...

Coleman said he hopes his case will show others that they are entitled to stand up for their beliefs, even if they differ from their employers'.

"It doesn't matter if you believe in Allah or Buddha or anybody," Coleman said. "It should not be used against you if you're trying to make a paycheck for a company you enjoy working for. It's your right."

Filter, I'm sorry you feel the way you do, its never to late to make the apropriate modifications in your personality or at least hopefully you will not be hiring anyone in the near future - not that anyone would work for you anyway.

Last edited:

false premise, troll.

He attended.
He stopped attending.

Is it conclusive evidence? No. Is it possible there was a legitimate reason? Yes.

But for now, the only evidence we have suggests that he was fired for refusing to attend the Bible study.
According to who? The disgruntled employee. You only have one side of the story.

false premise, troll.

it may be hard for you but when commenting on a subject you might bother to read its referencing article ...

Coleman is not a practicing Christian and told Dahl multiple times that he wasn't comfortable attending the Bible study. In April, Coleman allegedly told Dahl in a phone call that he had a right not to attend the Christian Bible study, at which point he was fired, according to court documents.

Deborah Widiss, a law professor at Indiana University at Bloomington, said federal law prohibits companies from firing or hiring based on an employee's religious beliefs. Under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, employers cannot discriminate against workers on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or religion. Protections for employees' religious choices are important not only in cases of discrimination, Widiss said, but also to accommodate and support workers' practices and beliefs

initially not hiring him for the same reason would have resulted in a similar court case ...

Coleman said he hopes his case will show others that they are entitled to stand up for their beliefs, even if they differ from their employers'.

"It doesn't matter if you believe in Allah or Buddha or anybody," Coleman said. "It should not be used against you if you're trying to make a paycheck for a company you enjoy working for. It's your right."

Filter, I'm sorry you feel the way you do, its never to late to make the apropriate modifications in your personality or at least hopefully you will not be hiring anyone in the near future - not that anyone would work for you anyway.
You pitiful creature. All you have is one side of the story. Idiot.

false premise, troll.

He attended.
He stopped attending.

According to who? The disgruntled employee. You only have one side of the story.
Right. And that is evidence. There may be more to it, maybe not. But you are refusing to even consider he might be telling the truth. That seems odd. We currently have no reason to think he’s lying. Why do you think he is, without any evidence?

false premise, troll.

flipper, have you read the article, there is going to be a trial, its in the courts ... I agree with the plaintiff, 4th century made up christianity is something no one in their right mind would want to have anything to do with.

employer sounds ok, just went to far. he was warned not to be insistent.

He attended.
He stopped attending.

Right. And that is evidence. There may be more to it, maybe not. But you are refusing to even consider he might be telling the truth. That seems odd. We currently have no reason to think he’s lying. Why do you think he is, without any evidence?
He might be telling the truth, he might not. Isn't that true?

flipper, have you read the article, there is going to be a trial, its in the courts ... I agree with the plaintiff, 4th century made up christianity is something no one in their right mind would want to have anything to do with.

Yes, I read the article, numbskull. It could be true, it could be a pile of crap. We're gonna find out what really happened during the trial. Idiot.

Yes, I read the article, numbskull. It could be true, it could be a pile of crap. We're gonna find out what really happened during the trial. Idiot.

Yes, I read the article ...

do you have a reading comprehension problem ... it's not a he said she said issue, he was being forced to be a christian. .:eusa_shhh:

Not talking about freedom of religion -

flipper, what exactly are you talking about ... religious freedom is why there is a court case, is that something you oppose.

Yes, I read the article ...

do you have a reading comprehension problem ... it's not a he said she said issue, he was being forced to be a christian. .:eusa_shhh:

Not talking about freedom of religion -

flipper, what exactly are you talking about ... religious freedom is why there is a court case, is that something you oppose.
You obviously are putting yourself as judge and jury here. He SAYS he was fired for not attending a bible study. Why do you believe him?

Forum List

Back