He could at least kiss us...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h1><a href=http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df04022004.html>Reversing Pledge, Bush Lets OPEC Bilk Americans</a></h1></center>

<blockquote>As a presidential candidate in 2000, George Bush pledged to use his "political capital" to influence OPEC when gas prices soared, saying that during a crisis, a president, "ought to get on the phone with the OPEC cartel and say, 'We expect you to open your spigots"1. But with gas prices soaring in the United States2, newspapers report the White House now says the president refuses to "personally lobby oil cartel leaders to change their minds"3.

With the president refusing to do anything about the situation, OPEC opted this week to cut supply to further inflate gas prices and bilk American consumers4. While Saudi Arabia's ambassador told the White House yesterday that his country supposedly opposed higher oil prices, the president's refusal to use his close relations with the Saudi government gave the Saudis a pass to support the OPEC production cut5. Despite the Saudi effort to keep American energy prices high - and despite their ties to terror groups6 - the President continues to insist that the Saudi Arabia is "our friend"7.

During his term, the president has pursued other policies that help enrich the oil industry, which has given him more than $3 million since 20008. For instance, his tax legislation actually created a massive tax incentive for consumers to purchase gas-guzzling SUVs over fuel efficient hybrid cars9. Meanwhile, the first budget President Bush introduced after taking office tried to cut 37%, (almost $200 million), out of federal research on renewable energy and energy efficiency programs10.

Sources:

1. "OPEC to cut back despite high prices", Washington Times, 04/01/2004.

2. "Surging Gas Prices Pump Up Political Debate", Los Angeles Times, 03/31/2004.

3. "Bush Refuses to Lean on Oil Cartel", Miami Herald, 04/01/2004.

4. "OPEC cut to oil output likely to keep prices near record levels", Dallas Morning News, 04/01/2004.

5. "Saudi envoy plays nice with White House on oil supply", USA Today, 04/02/2004.

6. "The Saudi Connection", US News and World Report, 12/15/2003.

7. President Bush Vows to Bring Terrorists to Justice, 05/15/2003.

8. OpenSecrets.Org.

9. "SUV, truck owners get a big tax break", Detroit News, 12/18/2002.

10. "Proposed Bush Budget Cuts Renewables and Energy Efficiency Programs", Resources for the Future, 04/11/2001.</blockquote>

Just one more in a long string of Dubbyuh's "Fuck You!"'s to the American people.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Just one more in a long string of Dubbyuh's "Fuck You!"'s to the American people.

Because he won't personally lobby the oil cartel leaders? And if he did, you would be the first one jumping up and down screaming he's in bed with them and it's a conspiracy.

Go take a nap, Bully! It's obvious you've had too many sleepless nights since 2000 and you're going to need your beauty sleep if you are going to whine for the next 4 years.

nnow G.W. is responsable for the price of Gas? I didnt know he had the power to control the pump price, the producers[all foreign countries] and the refineries. world demand is at an alltime high with no end in sight. gas is like 5 bucks a gallon in Europe. we have a ways to go before its that high.

In the part of Ohio that I live in,gas prices are hovering aroung 1.61-1.71. The news says they are some of the lowest in the country. I guess we are lucky even though I believe this is still high.

Is anyone talking about our good friends over in Saudi Arabia? They played a big role in deciding to cut production by a million barrels,which is not going to help anything. I agree that if G.W. tried to lobby the oil companies, people would be screaming that they are in bed together. How about someone blaming Bush for the 2 or 300,00 people that have new jobs? I guess we won't hear too much about that though.

Blaming him for this is just silly. Another thing,if we were in Irag for oil,why are gas prices high?:tank: Doesn't seem that our guys were fighting for oil to me!

A belated welcome to the board Krissy, I have to agree with you. All the far-out liberals and Democrats are silent on this subject. I find this strange. we have our share here of both. come-out come- out where-ever you are hiding. Oh, thats right ! G.W. and Co WANT high fuel prices so they can line their pockets with ill-gotten gains. There I said it for them...tin-foil, on sale aisle 7:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Hee hee. Thanks for the welcome jon! I see your not too far form our neck of the woods down in Tennesse. Did I spell that right? Mu husband posts too and is also new. He is Wolfsblood:rolleyes: ,I think that name is corny. Anyway, I'm having a good time listening to John Kerry talk about gas prices being G.W.'s fault yet he is spinning like crazy on the job thing. I believe gas prices are a result of gas companies jacking prices up and our good friends in the middle east cutting production:arabia:

Let the drilling in Anwar begin and Bush wont have to lobby terrorists to get the oil prices to go down. But if we produce our own oil we will gain more jobs and thats bad for Democrats. If we produce our own oil, we will have more security from terrorism, and thats bad for Democrats. If we produce our own oil, it will show the people of this nation how extreme the enviromental wackos are and thats bad for the Democrat party.

Do nothing, and Democrats have an issue.

Forum List

Back