Have you worn glasses all your life?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I have worn glasses all my life.

And I have a strange question........

Does anybody else remember, before plastic lenses, the eyeglasses associate used to dip your glasses into liquid mercury to clean them?

It's a strange thing to remember. But I can't find anything online about this.

So, I was wondering if anybody else remembers this?

Does anybody else remember, before plastic lenses, the eyeglasses associate used to dip your glasses into liquid mercury to clean them?

NO

I take them off at night.

Worn glasses since I was about 9 years old.

I am near-sighted, so I don't use them to read or do anything that requires being up close. I definitely need them for driving.

Don't recall the cleaning method you described.

I was 14. I thought I would go blind before my folks relented and had my eyes checked.

Since I was 14 years old. Just recently my eye doctor said I no longer need them. I had them for driving. far-sighted was why I needed them to get my first driver's restricted license.

I started wearing glasses for near-sightedness when I was 14, and I used to need them for driving, but recently -- about three years ago -- I started driving again after not having done so in a long time, and when I put my old glasses on, everything got really blurry. I skipped the eyeglasses, and when I got around to having my eyes checked again, my near-sightedness had corrected itself. When I got my new SD license, two years ago, I was able to have the "corrective lenses" restriction taken off my license. Color me happy!

I have worn glasses since I was seven
I don’t remember them being dipped in mercury

I cruised the net and found nothing on mercury treatment for eyeglasses but did find it for ornamental art type glass objects

Yes. I was born with mine. Although I wasn't aware of it at the time my mother gave me grief over it for years. I get a new case for my glasses every year on my B-Day.

Last edited:

Started wearing glasses when I was around 7 or so, and been wearing them ever since, except for a few years when I switched to contact lenses to help with my bicycle racing (couldn't wear Oakleys over glasses, and didn't have the coin required to get them with prescription lenses).

I remember glass lenses, but I don't remember any kind of mercury dipping of the lenses. What I do remember though was getting them fitted, and the optometrist swirling the earpieces and temple arms in heated glass beads that were used to help with bending them to fit so they didn't break.

I also remember when the optical shop at the Navy Exchange first got mirrored lenses as an option. Got a pair, and was promptly told by my chain of command that mirrored lenses were not allowed in uniform, so I had to get another set to wear while on duty. Liked the mirrored lenses, but because of uniform regs, when they finally broke, I didn't get another pair.

I also remember that there was a time that lots of people were taking the Buddy Holly birth control glasses issued by the Navy and getting them tinted to look like a cheap pair of Wayfarers (back when they first started to get popular).

Started wearing glasses when I was around 7 or so, and been wearing them ever since, except for a few years when I switched to contact lenses to help with my bicycle racing (couldn't wear Oakleys over glasses, and didn't have the coin required to get them with prescription lenses).

I remember glass lenses, but I don't remember any kind of mercury dipping of the lenses. What I do remember though was getting them fitted, and the optometrist swirling the earpieces and temple arms in heated glass beads that were used to help with bending them to fit so they didn't break.

I also remember when the optical shop at the Navy Exchange first got mirrored lenses as an option. Got a pair, and was promptly told by my chain of command that mirrored lenses were not allowed in uniform, so I had to get another set to wear while on duty. Liked the mirrored lenses, but because of uniform regs, when they finally broke, I didn't get another pair.

I also remember that there was a time that lots of people were taking the Buddy Holly birth control glasses issued by the Navy and getting them tinted to look like a cheap pair of Wayfarers (back when they first started to get popular).

excuse me....buddy holly what? i always wore ray bans with scipt lenses...a friend did ask me if they made me get the ugliest glasses they made...but since i took my glasses off to go to bed...

excuse me....buddy holly what? i always wore ray bans with scipt lenses...a friend did ask me if they made me get the ugliest glasses they made...but since i took my glasses off to go to bed...

Buddy Holly Birth Control Glasses. Standard issue of what the military gave you if you needed glasses. Ugly, thick, black nylon frames with clear lenses. They were nicknamed "BC glasses" because no woman would ever think about dating you if you were wearing them.

They had a similar design to Wayfarers, and when Wayfarers started to come into fashion, many of my fellow military members got the lenses tinted dark so that they looked (at least from a distance) like Wayfarers, and thus the "BC" effect was at least mitigated.

Thank goodness that Ray Ban came out with the Wayfarers and they became popular, because it made the glasses issued by the military at least a little fashionable. Interestingly enough, shortly after that, the military decided to offer more frame styles (up until then, there were only 2, BC glasses and aviators, but you could only get aviators issued if you were in a squadron).

It was a great day when I got my eyes checked and they offered me a choice between several frames, one style was wire rims that weren't aviators.

Had a news guy on the TV in our region. One day he came on the news with Buddy Holly glasses.

My niece emailed him at the station and told him no one would marry him if he wore birth control glasses.

He never wore them again.

Had a news guy on the TV in our region. One day he came on the news with Buddy Holly glasses.

My niece emailed him at the station and told him no one would marry him if he wore birth control glasses.

He never wore them again.

Interestingly enough, with all this "retro" fashion trend going around, some people are able to get away with wearing the Buddy Holly birth control glasses, and in some circles, they are now considered to be fashionable.

Forum List

Back